Erik Cortina is going to do the Backfire challenge

Erik is the real deal. And he spells his name the right way.

I was worried he'd go into the challenge with a 18 lbs rifle. Glad to see he kept it to 12-13ish. Which is still high in my book, but plausible.

Interested in the vid/outcome. Also interested in watching Backfire haters spew vomit out their mouths.

These guys are marketing geniuses
Geniuses or not I love this trend. I live a few hours from the Backfire guys and every mothers son here in Utah thinks they're all set at 700 without any practice. I think it took a rare level of humility (for Utah) to say "we ought to be honest about our abilities, and I am rethinking my personal limits." Not the ethics of hunting far away, but our honesty about our part of the bargain. I literally know guys who never practice and say they're willing to take 800 yard pokes anytime because their gun is "good to 1000+". Meanwhile I have to be extremely attentive about where all the roads are no matter what I'm doing because they line up like toy soldiers on the canyon roads and they WILL fire over someone at a 3 point on a different mountain and expect to stone it. Maybe it's marketing but man, I'm not mad about it, I think a lot of other marketing allows some of us to lie to ourselves easier.

I'm excited. Why not build a rifle for a 100 of 100 hunting rifle shoot?

I guess the real question is can that keep up with granpappy's '06 that was sub moa ALL-DAY-LONG? ….With a LooPOLD 3X9…..and the best looking wood this side of a sage brush. I hear it shoot all factory ammo inside of a dime.

Geniuses or not I love this trend. I live a few hours from the Backfire guys and every mothers son here in Utah thinks they're all set at 700 without any practice. I think it took a rare level of humility (for Utah) to say "we ought to be honest about our abilities, and I am rethinking my personal limits." Not the ethics of hunting far away, but our honesty about our part of the bargain. I literally know guys who never practice and say they're willing to take 800 yard pokes anytime because their gun is "good to 1000+". Meanwhile I have to be extremely attentive about where all the roads are no matter what I'm doing because they line up like toy soldiers on the canyon roads and they WILL fire over someone at a 3 point on a different mountain and expect to stone it. Maybe it's marketing but man, I'm not mad about it, I think a lot of other marketing allows some of us to lie to ourselves easier.
Nope, definitely love it! This stuff is great for hunting and shooting! I know too many guys that think that if they just do what their app tells them they'll hit whatever they're aiming at! Lots of foolishness out there with guys willing to take 1k yard shots and then guys that actually are professional snipers and know what they're doing don't shoot past 500 yards in certain conditions.

Edited my post to correct my mistake. I should know better. I am a "Michael" with two Ks (Mikkel).
Season 9 Lol GIF by The Office

I will give the guy credit. Getting behind the camera and watching your expectations fall apart early into the day; probably puts you under the some simular or worse stress than shooting at an animal. I like to think I keep it together till the animal is on the ground, but I still get the nervous poo's driving to a 3D shoot or even a shooting event.

To be realistic. I would like to see Erik shoot the challenge on a calm day/no wind and a windy day/gusting, That would make it more realistic for the real hunter shooter. I know I can make shots in perfect/no wind or mirage type condition that I would/will not atempt in bad/for me conditions. Know your limits under all conditions. This challenge is a 600 yds. On a calm day with no wind or mirage that is not a big deal for a shooter with a good understanding/practiced shooting capability. Add a gusting wind and mirage and that will reduce the number of shooters that should take the shot. Conditions come into play at every level of capability. Ethics/personal limitations. Know yours, be honest with your self practice/learn and don't let anyone sway you in your capability's.

Recent Posts