"Entry Level" LR Rifles

Litehiker

Like thousands of others, my "entry level" competition rifle is a Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor. The rifle is a laser beam. I have yet to hear of one that could not shoot 3/4 MOA at worst. Mine regularly shoots 1/2 MOA.

Others like the Savage Stealth, the older Tikka T3 (with a US aftermarket chassis) is being sold as a package by Tikka, Mossberg is also testing the budget precision rifle waters.

And many have converted their Savage and Remington rifles with aftermarket chassis although if they have Remington rifles they likely are using 260 Rem. or .308 barrels because Remington "execs" have yet to market a 6.5 Creedmoor. Dummies.

So what is your "entry level" competition rifle?

Eric B.

There's a few out there but you hit the big nails already. One that gets overlooked by potential competitive shooters (and should be thought about carefully before jumping in) is the Mossberg MVP. I use one myself in PRS and long range precision. The .223 platform takes AR mags which has its drawbacks for LR inasmuch as COAL is limited to GI mag length. The .308 platform takes M14 mags which have a similar length restriction compared to something like the AI pattern mags that are popular in PRS. The high mag capacity can be a big advantage though. I've even seen a .308 MVP used in 3-gun.

Out of the box the barrels are not the best or the worst but they do take to hand-loads very well and the chambers seem to be on the snug side so brass life has been great. My .223 MVP Varmint turned in 1.5" groups with M193 and M855 ball but got down under .75MOA with handloads. I'm on my 2nd barrel now, this one made by BlackHoleWeaponry.

That's a problem too, for the .223 version ONLY BHW has made a drop in barrel for and it's a weird tenon size and thread and I don't know if they'll do anymore. Mine was kinda a one-off. The .308 version uses savage's small shank threads though. SCORE!

The factory trigger is really good if you don't mind blade style and there are excellent triggers available from Jard and Timney. MDT makes a chassis for the MVP's. EGW and Seekins make pic rails. This is a great platform for someone that wants to learn on something decent and then later on maybe start upgrading it with barrels/trigger/stock/etc...

The .223 platform is very light compared to a normal high power bolt action rifle thanks to the custom .223 specific receiver which might help those of smaller stature but the .223rem chambering is a challenge for new shooters and I don't recommend it for newbs unless the wind is usually from the 6 or 12 o'clock at the firing location. The .308 MVP is good to go and upgrades easily to any of the new fast 6's and 6.5's but kicks a bit hard for new shooters IMO as a .308. The .223 24" barrel Varmint model makes sick high velocities for .223.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.