Elk hunting with Black Powder Cartridges?

I'll speak for the 45/90 as well as the 40/60 slash 65....

All three wil do the job and not abuse your shoulder... Of course, proper bullet selection is key. You're going to have to have a bullet with a substantial flat front knowing that there is going to be trade offs between the metplate and ballistics...

Don't forget that black isn't the only answer as well...

Personally, I find it hard to believe that even past 600 yards, that you can see enough detail to shoot accurately with open sights alone. Maybe on a large elk or buffalo but for the average shooter, that seems just amazing.

I've been intrigued for quite some time with the Sharps rifles. I currently own a Pedersoli in 50-90 chambering that's finally coming around with 650 gr bullets. Keep in mind the second number that designates the powder charge, i.e. 70/90/110 etc., is the volumetric charge for a specific bullet weight AFTER wad thickness and compression is figured in. A must read is Mike Venturino's Shooting Buffalo Rifles of the Old West. These guns are a hoot to pull the trigger on and definitely capable of modern hunting. Good luck and keep posting with updates.

Personally, I find it hard to believe that even past 600 yards, that you can see enough detail to shoot accurately with open sights alone. Maybe on a large elk or buffalo but for the average shooter, that seems just amazing.

I dont even fantasize that I could get to 600 on game. I would be thoroughly happy with 400, maybe 5. With open sights, there just isnt enough room for error.

I do think 1000 would be fun on steel, however.

Thanks for all the responses. Im hoping to hit a BPCR competition in May to get more answers and to see them do their thing.

MtPockets, I don't know where in Wyoming you are, but there is a wonderful black powder cartridge shoot put on in Ten Sleep sometime in April. It's put on by the muzzleloader club there (I think). They've done it for as long as I can remember.
You would really enjoy it, and I'm certain you would be able to see (and most likely try) about anything out there!! Enjoy.

Thanks Durango. I don't live in Wyoming anymore, but I still spend as much time as I can there.
Is it by Ten Sleep or Hyatteville? I know that when I lived by Shell, I talked to some guys who said there was a shoot near Hyatteville. I never did make it there, but thanks for the heads up. I'll see if I can find out more about it.
There is a black powder shoot in Worland in May, so I'll plan to hit that, too.

Ron

My brother collected ShiloSharps rifles! I bought one of his in 50-110 before he passed! Then inherited 2 others from the estate. One is in a
45-120 (RCBS Basic) that has never been shot and his favorite 45-90 that he shot a lot and competed with! I took a small 6x6 elk with the 45-90 at 150yds and it worked perfect with paper patched 405gr hard cast bullets that he had loaded!
I bought the 50-110 a few years before for a Bison hunt. He worked loads for me with a 500gr hard cast bullet. Shot the buffalo at 90yds!
My hunting partner shot his 3 times with a 340 Weatherby and "borrowed the 50-110 to finish the job! I still give him crap about it. They were just 2yo Bulls but they do take lead well.

It been a couple of decades since I have been shooting,BPCR, but my 45-70 Shilo loaded with 520gr cast bullets at 1300FPS(shown) was quite capable of consistently hitting a steel ram area in the chest area at 500 yards using the proper disk in the front globe site/Montana Vernier. Might be a bit more difficult today given these old, aging eyes.
I haven't shot game with it , but I think it would do well on elk 400-500 yards. Exact ranging would be quite critical given the rainbow trajectory!
I have a couple of Shilos, both in 45-70. This one's a shooter, and a looker to boot.
A60CC796-43C4-4CFA-99BA-31667D3D5C67.jpeg

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.