Elk hunting from a tree stand

This was in the ancient past, 1990s. We hunted elk and mule deer in north west Colorado. BLM land and mixed private. We showed up with tree stands and everyone there thought we were nuts. Until the dead deer and elk started coming out with us in the back of the trucks. We hunted them like white tails. Hunted edge areas, aspen trees bordering heavy dark timber. The routes to alfalfa fields that had even low trees we could get in. The animals had no idea what was happening as long as they didn't smell us. Seems that its caught on now. The 80s and 90s were good for me, had a great place to hunt near Meeker, tags bought over the counter. Sad state of affairs today.

Just helped my dad and Aaron his buddy from Texas on there Arizona muzzleloader cow elk hunt . At 73 for my dad and 75 for Aaron and him not being to mobile it was ground blinds . Didn't try and brush them in just up and around 30 / 40 off the water in one spot and around 20 in the other . Elk move all day so do deer and turkey . Atleast here the last 5or 6 years . Aaron's first elk 4 years ago at the same spot came in at 3 in the afternoon . We had elk come in-between the road hunters . He took another nice big cow this year . If you can sit a tree it's usually best . You can see them easily and sent is up high but don't discount the ground blind. I drove them into the blinds just about every day and dropped them w/in 10 or 15 feet of the blinds . I wish I'd have keep video going there was two small bulls in at water and I saw another big 6x6 coming in from a distance and he somehow picked up a cow on the way in . Aaron hit her and she almost dropped at the shot . She was on her way over the dam and the 6x6 mounted up for one last hit. She made it just to the down side and layed down . The bulls stayed we got out at dark and got about half way around till they walked out .

Attachments

• 20231121_190159.jpg
    20231121_190159.jpg
    372.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 20231121_164613.jpg
    20231121_164613.jpg
    266.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 20231121_155812.jpg
    20231121_155812.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 29
I have taken two archery branch bulls from tree stands. My biggest personal challenge was sitting in that **** thing for 14 hours! As a few guys pointed out, finding a tall suitable tree is going to be a challenge. I would really lean toward the ground blind, either man-made or a really nice natural one. Setting up on a good wallow or water hole is where it's at, and don't overlook or disregard mid day, especially early afternoon. Those big bulls will leave the nearby herd and come in and wallow from 1 to 3 PM sometimes

This mid day ritual also works with whitetails during the rut. When they rut, they will lie down at noon and then get up and can be active during the noon to 1pm timeslot when most hunters are eating lunch!

Why not? Some old boys had a scary looking wood built stand in our elk area. It was there when we first started hunting it, and one of them was in it for years and years. Fire burned it down and no trees in that area anymore. Elk still in that area just not focused travel around where the stand used to be.

Man, I almost booked an elk hunt from stands and blinds and couldn't bring myself to do it. I wanted to. It seems very effective in a non pressured tract of land

I've archery elk hunted from both a tree stand and ground blind - both can be a bit of a mental grind if the animals aren't very active. If you expect cooler temperatures, the ground blind will likely be more comfortable.