Elk Down-25 Creed Pachmayr Dominator

Ernie

SPONSOR
Being able to hunt with a good Christian Brother is a wonderful privilege. I can easily say there is no way I would've shot this cow elk, if I had been hunting alone. It has been my desire for some time, to take an elk with one of my BCG Pachmayr Dominators.

That desire was fulfilled yesterday. The cartridge is the 25 Creedmoor (Peterson 6mm Creedmoor brass necked to 25 caliber), with a 110 Grain Nosler Accubond bullet at 2734 ft./s, from a 14" barrel.
IMG_2985.jpeg

IMG_2954.jpeg

Dan Ekstrom and I spent a lot of time on the glass today. We kept finding bull elk, and it wasn'ttill around 1:30 PM, where we saw our first group of elk that had cows in it. They were basically impossible to get to with my current physical capability, and they were just under 800 yards away, with a large draw between us. We began to make our way around to the general area where we had seen them.

Dan had the urge to stop the truck and walk down a ways to look over a ridge…and he found a group of cow elk. He hustled back, and we began to make our way down to the edge of the draw, only to find beautiful scenery, but no elk. After looking around and moving around slowly, Dan began to do some cow calling, and wouldn't you know it, a cow elk showed herself. I went down prone with a field bag, to make the shot and right before the trigger broke, she began moving to the right and up the ridge, to where I did not have a shot. There was more elk behind her, and they kept moving as well. We both thought the opportunity was blown, then all of a sudden, a large cow showed herself, coming up from the bottom. She was quartering away, so the 110 grain Accubond had to travel a lot further, than just a broadside double lung shot. What an enjoyable moment.
IMG_2966.jpeg

Dan went all the way down the draw and up to mark the spot with his GPS, so we could drive around and find an easier way to pack her out. She was quartered right there, and then Dan had a very short, yet steep pack out to the vehicle. It was a great day!
IMG_2981.jpeg

Congrats Ernie!

Great story and a bunch of good eat'n right there! memtb

Oh, also thanks for the photos ……so that's what an elk looks like! 😁

I am making good progress-Thanks.
I am 4 months out from the knee replacement surgery
If you're not already - get into PT prior to replacement surgery, it'll make a world of difference. Plus - have them show you post surgery exercises because that sucker will be sore/stiff/sensitive and it'll be a lot easier knowing how to do them.
It'll be the 3-3-3 rule.
3 days of being on walker, 3 weeks before pain starts subsiding, 3 months to get full relief/movement.
GOOD LUCK

If you're not already - get into PT prior to replacement surgery, it'll make a world of difference. Plus - have them show you post surgery exercises because that sucker will be sore/stiff/sensitive and it'll be a lot easier knowing how to do them.
It'll be the 3-3-3 rule.
3 days of being on walker, 3 weeks before pain starts subsiding, 3 months to get full relief/movement.
GOOD LUCK
I was in PT already because I had a total achilles tendon replacement surgery toward the end of 2022 (Same leg). I was just waiting to get strong enough to do the total knee replacement surgery which I did at the very end of June. Been in PT since as well.