Elk 2024, Colorado 2nd rifle OTC ???

Longshotjames

Am I reading the 2024 season hunting guide correct? They have abolished the 2nd season OTC bull tags in most units?

Add that with the new tag allocation for resident vs non resident from 65/35 to 75/25 for a 10% decrease to non resident tags.

It will be tough to draw 1st season rifle in any unit for non residents.

So if I see this right, any idea if it's a temporary or permanent season change?
James

Am I reading the 2024 season hunting guide correct? They have abolished the 2nd season OTC bull tags in most units?

Add that with the new tag allocation for resident vs non resident from 65/35 to 75/25 for a 10% decrease to non resident tags.

So if I see this right, any idea if it's a temporary or permanent season change?
James
That's the way I read it. Gonna be a tough draw. It's just going to get worse for all. nonresidents that like to plan an elk hunt every year may have to wait a few. Utah isn't what it was either for OTC. I'm just trying to stagger points between states and also which game to go for. Can always go for cow tags I guess. Meat is a better trophy then not going.

I am seeing they limited it to private land only in a dozen or so units in the northwest part of the state, but other than that it didn't seem to change much. Am I missing something? The map doesn't look much different from last year except the shaded blue section where the 2nd and 3rd rifle OTC are private land only.

Based on some info I have read there could be some large changes in 2025 or 2026. They are considering highly limiting non resident OTC and are currently doing surveys and studies on it.

The limit in the NW corner was due to the winter kill last year. I'd expect it to stay for a few years. Even better they released wolves just east of some of the hardest hit herds. Polis couldn't have planned it better if he tried.

Last edited:

James
After reading your post, I believe there is a concerted effort by the Colorado Democratic controlled houses eventually eliminate and abolish big game hunting as part of their gun control strategy This is the first year post covid I feel healthy enough to give it a go..

After reading your post, I believe there is a concerted effort by the Colorado Democratic controlled houses eventually eliminate and abolish big game hunting as part of their gun control strategy This is the first year post covid I feel healthy enough to give it a go..
I read incorrectly, there is still OTC 2nd rifle in most Colorado units. I don't want to spread misinformation. Although you are prob right about the future of hunting there.
James

Never happen. That would be the end to CPW as the majority of funding comes from big game tags, especially NR tags…55% total from license, fees, tags, etc…

I think next year is the scheduled cycle for changes. I fear big changes and I think it's prolly time to try to draw my tag this year. This is my uneducated guess. I would really like one of those early rifle tags, but that puts me about five years out with the current system. 20+ years ago I had high hopes for a good unit with archery equipment. I'm still about two years out from having that happen.