Early season BMag double

Xs24-7

I don't usually start calling this early…..but with my buck tag filled and the farmer complaining about the coyotes harassing his dogs, I made the decision to stop by and do a quick stand at last light on the way home.
Setting up along the top of a berm along a drainage ditch, I set the call about 20 yards downwind and set up overlooking a thinner section in the brush.
A few minutes into the first sound a coyote came in, but was hidden in the thick brush and he moved off without offering a shot. He started barking back in the bush, and I switched sounds and replied back with some barks, then moved to a pup distress. He came charging back in, and I shot him at about 15 yards as he came across the ditch. After the shot I left the call going and another coyote started howling. I changed up sounds a couple times and was able to call it in as well, dropping it about 30 yards away.
This area is rimfire only, so I was using a Savage BMag. The first coyote I shot was the largest coyote I've ever taken, I wish I'd brought a scale. The other was this years pup.

Attachments

• IMG_6329.jpeg
    IMG_6329.jpeg
    276.2 KB · Views: 100
Really cool. What grain weight bullets are you using in your 17WSM? You using an e-caller or something different? I recently bought a BMag as well for some night time coyote hunting. Can only shoot rimfire calibers during predator night hunts, on public land, here in Michigan.

From someone who jumped on the 17 WSM board early, YES! Sorry for yelling, but it is a huge step up in terminal performance. Those coyotes prove that. I would recommend the target barrel and then replace the stock on the bmag.

I've shot 10 coyotes with the WSM the last 3 years. One has required a follow up shot, the other 9 have been stoned. I can't speak to the HMR, as I haven't used that. I've been careful to keep my shots to ~100 yards and in, and it's worked well. The one I had to shoot twice was due to a less than ideal first shot, but even that one was down for the count. I'm sure it's not for everyone….and I'll still use my 6 Creed where I can….but I don't feel handicapped much with the BMag for my hunts in the rimfire only zone.

It doesn't matter what round you use it won't be the round of choice for everyone or every situation, if it's working for you in your situation then good and use it till you figure out something different that does what you want it to.