DuPont IMR 4320, IMR 4350, IMR4227

The late German Salazar used 4320 in his 30.06 tubegun (elisio stock) to shoot F class with. Great substitute for varget or RL15 runs cooler for less throat wear. Similar to rl15 in temp sensitivity but easy enough to keep a tune using the same formula you would for rl15. .3 grains up or down every 15 degrees from where the load was developed. Locally it is about 120.00 less for an 8#er than varget, 4895 and rl15 is unavailable. In my 06 and dad's the 165 gamekings are very very accurate.
Where are you still finding it? Haven't seen any on shelves for years. Looking to pick up a few lbs of it.

It is the most accurate powder out of my 350 Rem Mag using 225 grain bullets. It meters like a dream too for being an extruded powder. First I've heard they discontinued it. Darn shame it works really well in my 224 Valkyrie as well using 80+ grain bullets. I was going to try it in my 6mm arc as well but might have to hoard the rest for my 350.

So what's the best use for the 4320? It's obsolete now, but I guess used to be utilized in 270 Win or 30-06. I have my Dad's guns. He told me his Model 70 Super Grade( 1948) would !all be in a dime @ 100 yds. I never saw him do it BTW. But he was a much better shot than I.
From Ken Water's Pet Loads. He said more IMR 4320 has been used in the .220 Swift than any other powder. That was written before plastic tipped bullets, all 16 twist varmint bullets were flat based hollow points or lead points and light for caliber 40, 45 and 50 gr. The good news is that Sierra and Hornady still make some of these bullets and they are relatively inexpensive. IMR 4320 is temperature sensitive. If you zero the day of the hunt, and adjust as temperatures changes through the day, you will be pleased with this single based powder. I have had success with the Ackley .22-250, Swift and my own wildcat based on small rifle primers for a similar case volume. Double based powders will outperform this old timer for velocity and consistency, but IMR 4320 is well suited for high capacity .224 varmint cartridges with 40-50 gr bullets.

Old powder, although it is usable and might be reliable, does degrade over time and might not perform as listed in the old data. Where and how it's stored…temperature and humidity…type of container…matters more than the age of the powder…from what I have read. I think your powder container might have rusted, indicating some higher humidity storage. If you sniff it and it doesn't have a strong odor of ammonia,it's probably OK.

Brian Litz studied the effect of humidity and moisture content of gunpowder and the results were very surprising.

If you start low, and work up a load like you normally would, I think you'll be fine, and if anything, you'll come in a bit slower than what's shown in the older books.

I have other older manuals with more data; so holler if you need it.

It is the most accurate powder out of my 350 Rem Mag using 225 grain bullets. It meters like a dream too for being an extruded powder. First I've heard they discontinued it. Darn shame it works really well in my 224 Valkyrie as well using 80+ grain bullets. I was going to try it in my 6mm arc as well but might have to hoard the rest for my 350.
From looking over the reloading data it seems like the IMR 4350 powder is a very close match to the 4320. It is readily available and it is extremely accurate in my experience and my rifles from 22-250, 7mm Rem Mag, and 300 WM. If you're ever in a pinch it should work fine for most of the calibers that the 4320 works with. Overlapping calibers and similar uses may be why they discontinued it possibly in the first place.

I've been reloading for over 50 years. IMR 4320 has been my goto powder for most of that time.
I use it in my 22/250, 270, 308, 30/06, 300 WSM, and even in my 45/70's. My old Mentor taught me about it years ago. He hunted all over the World and it was his favorite powder.
Bob Forker that wrote about reloading for G&A for years, in his March 2004 article stated that it was the most accurate powder for the 300 WSM, 62 gr behind the 150-grain Swift Scirocco at 3240 MV. Hard to believe they are discontinuing making it. Good thing I stocked up on it, Will be a little more stingy ;) about loading it up for friends.

Empty case….is wasted space! 😉 memtb
If my fave powder isn't available I find something else rather than look at the empty cases and wish. I don't know when it was decided to drop IMR430, but stock up if/while you can. If enough folks contact Hodgdon maybe they'll reconsider. They did do an about face on the Eduron line so there's that. I do have a saved Hodgdon burn rate chart from April, 2001, and I don't see it there.

Last edited:
If you have some old reloading books…..there should be some data on it! Good Luck! memtb
In reality you don't have to look any farther back than many of the current reloading manuals, Nosler 9, Lyman 49, and the Hodgdon reloading site all currently list load data for IMR 4320. If however you want to go back in history and compare loads the 1974 Sierra loading manual also lists IMR 4320. I have used IMR 4320 since I started loading back in 1973. I used it for my 308/7.62 and 30-06 match ammo reloads, and still will until my supplies run out. I have found that IMR 4350 is a good substitute.