Dskiper- Weatherby or Remington?

Dskiper

I need advice! My 300weath.mag.on aMark V action shoots ok(1.5")@100 yds.It has a#2factory barrel.I would like to group closer.Should I rebarrel or start from scatch and unload it,get a Rem.700 action,rebarrel(#3 or 4)and custom stock.I love this caliberbut can it be a "shooter"?I donot reload.THANKS!

D; I know I'm going to catch it for this, but I would never give up a MK V for a Rem 700 to build a rifle in a Wby Mag caliber. Realistically, not handloading will make it harder to find the "magic bullet", but if you've tried all the available Wby and Rem ammo in your rifle, a custom build is an alternative. A Mk V with a #5 or 5.5 contour Shilen stainless barrel (no brake), in.300 Wby,in an Accurate Innovations stock will shoot sub moa groups with something, maybe with a factory load, but no guarantee on that. For $1200-$1300 out of pocket you will get a rifle that very possibly can shoot sub moa with some factory load, but absolutely can with the right handload.

In fairness, you can do the same thing on a Rem 700 action. The MK V is just my personal favorite.

I wouldn't be satisfied with 1 1/2" groups either.

Hope this helps, Tom

Dskiper

Specweldtom is right , keep what you have and go to a custom barrel
in one or two sizes larger if the stock will take it.

If the stock cannot be opened up enough for a #5 min taper then plan on
a stockthat will fit a larger barrel (even a #6 or #7 taper would be better
and would tame it down to the point that no muzzel brake is needed.

Heavy barrels seam to be less finicky about the load used (they shoot all
loads well and the right load great.

I use more Remingtion actions for custom rifles than anything else because
they work great and can be made very accurate,But so can the Weatherbys
but they cost more and are harder to find for a donor action.

With good machine work and very little headspace the Weatherbys will
shoot 1/2 MOA all day long. I have built some that shot sub 1/4 MOA.

Stay with what you have!!!!
J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.