Drilling hole in Redding sizing die

Cases need very little lube to work right. I do use a little extra on the first case after a good die cleaning. Look how long the little can of imperial sizing wax last. It's all I use anymore.
Shep

Also try decapping the cases first. One can buy a decapping die off of eBay pretty reasonable. With no primers in, any air will be forced out thru the flash hole.

Posting pics with your phone is simple. Take the pic with your phone. Under your post is a box that says attach files. Click it. Your phone will open a window. Select camera. Click on the picture you just took and it will be attached to your post. Little harder on your computer because you have to know where your pic is. Very easy on your phone.
Shep

The die was custom made by Redding he was hoping to not have the expense of having another one built he contacted forester they said wouldn't do it. David. Thanks for everyone's input
May be irelavent but what caliber? Custom dies often are for Ackleys or wildcats with sharper shoulder angles. Cases like these are often harder to bump.

When he backed off the shoulder bump and the dents quit but the bolt closed stiffer makes me think the cases need annealing in order to bump easier. The dents may be from case compressive distortion rather then air or oil.
Just a thought,
Randy

I just talked to him he super cleaned the die and used very little case lube and was still getting dent just below the shoulder so he kept backing die out finally quit denting brass and was able to chamber without excessive force so maybe he can get by. David
Is he measuring his shoulder bump with a comparator?
If he isnt I would just stop untill hes got something to measure properly. Sounds like he had the die screwed down to far crushing the shoulder.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts