Does it pay to go to Ackley improved in a short barrel?

Oldschool280

Hey gang, i have 280 with an 18 1/2 inch barrel. Would reaming this to 280 ackley get me back to standard 280 velocities or just a bigger flash and more wasted powder
It's basically my hog gun right now .

Last edited:
I've done Ackley Improved on barrels as short as 15".

I've had the 280 AI in a 15" and a 16.5", 30-06 JDJ in 15", 30-06 AI in 15", 30-280 AI, and currently have a 30-338 WM in a 16.5". The other 30 cal barrels would push 165/168's to 2700-2750 FPS from 15" bbls.

In my guns, I have had impressive performance from those lengths. My 30-338 WM will push a Berger 175 VLD to 2846 FPS. My 30

The 280AI in 15" was a solid 2750 FPS with 140's and I could hit 2850 FPS with certain powders.

In the 16.5" 280 AI, Berger 168's were pushed to 2650 FPS.

So, it's possible in your barrel you could get back some performance going Ackley version.

Hey gang, i have 280 with an 18 1/2 inch barrel. Would reaming this to 280 ackley get me back to standard 280 velocities or just a bigger flash and more wasted powder

The main advantage to the AI, is powder efficiency and brass life. you would gain some velocity
because of the increase in powder capacity depending on you choice of powder.

J E CUSTOM

Most 280's had 22" barrels, so I would say yes to getting at least most of velocity back, if not all of it. I also agree with Jerry that efficiency and brass life are major benefits, and would even add a little barrel life with the 40 degree shoulder directing the flame point a lot better than the 17 1/2........Rich

Got to assume this is about Rem 760 280 with 18 1/2" barrel, if it is have you found gunsmith to do the work?

Got to assume this is about Rem 760 280 with 18 1/2" barrel, if it is have you found gunsmith to do the work?

Right you are Tom, I was under the impression that most competent gunsmiths could handle this. The guy that does 760's exclusively is pretty booked. I have a local guy im gonna call that does rebarrel's and would expect he could handle the job. I'll let you know

Right you are Tom, I was under the impression that most competent gunsmiths could handle this. The guy that does 760's exclusively is pretty booked. I have a local guy im gonna call that does rebarrel's and would expect he could handle the job. I'll let you know

While he's doing the work, I'd have him slap on a new Bartlein barrel in 24-26" length chambered in the new Nosler/SAAMI .280 AI. That would be a shooter of a 760. :cool:

One of my good buddies has a 1981 model 760 in .270 that his dad bought new. It's in great shape for the age and how much it's been hunted with. Several years ago he had traded his nice scope that was on it, and has not had the money to replace it since he's a family man. So, I lent him my old Nitrex 3-10x50 scope that I had sitting in my safe and mounted it up and boresighted the scope for him, and we signed it in yesterday. He's enjoying it so far. Nitrex is no longer in business, but if you ever come across one, they're great scopes. They have a full brass erector set in it, and the glass is crisp and clear and comparable to most mid-range Nikon Monarchs I've looked through.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.