Do I really need Sitka gear to hunt mule deer in Idaho in October

I've had my KOM pants for years, I gave away the vest and the coat to some good people but I still love the pants for extreme cold. But dang they're heavy....

Might look at the non camo offerings from Sitka and Stone Glacier. They are top of the line hunting gear, but also stylish gear for hiking and sport/casual wear for other events. For example, I have the Stone Glacier De Havilland Lite pants. I would wear them on a back country adventure or out on the town in a minute. I also have a black Sitka Traverse hoodie that I wear daily in the winter for a work jacket.

Are you asking this referring to camo? or to outerwear that will stand the elements?

I killed a mulie with my bow i snuck to 25 yards in all tan. I only wear camo hunting turkeys and ducks. (a simple cover that can go over anything) I like to buy clothing that is versatile and i will wear when not hunting.

For warmth,
Top, Classic layering systems. including thermals a whicking shirt, merino wool or fleece light weight sweater a down jacket and a water proof coat or rain gear to go over bigger layers.
bottoms, water proof pants are nice, but pants that dry fast paired with some gaiters keep you pretty dry and if its cold add thermals.
good boots and youll be good to go

there are a lot of good brands that make good technical clothing, but prices don't fluctuate that drastically. I wear items from stone glacier to first lite to LLBean to kings camo to underarmour tshirt to columbia thermals, all at the same time.... (shoot me)

Spend your money on boots, hunting rain gear, and good binoculars. Lotta sage brush and open country, need to be able to glass, stay warm while doing it and have dry warm feet to get you to what you see, camos a great plus but not a deal breaker

I'm really glad you guys addressed the camo issue.
As some of you have said, I was thinking of buying a solid color so I could better justify the purchase.
I noticed a Jetstream jacket in the store that was a really good looking jacket and it was a solid color. I was thinking, heck I could wear this just about anywhere.

I have the boots. They are breaking in nicely but I have to say, it's taken longer than I expected but they are also a stiff boot.

I already have a pair of Swarovski SLCs that I really like and use a lot.
Was also considering taking a spotting scope but my buddy and I may just take one and take turns.

Look on the classified section on here in other stuff. You may be able to find what you need or want and save some cash. With brands like Sitka and kuiu the insulating can be done in thinner layers rather than what we use when stand hunting here in the east. Less bulk makes it easier to move which saves energy.

Think differently about gear when hunting spot and stalk in the mountains, where you're going to be active climbing, hiking, then sit for a period of time glassing, then back on the move again. Temps can vary from 60 degrees to below freezing, and many places the wind never stops. You need to have layers that can easily be added on or taken off. Merino is great for base layers, throw in some soft shell outer garments, a puffy jacket for cold weather insulation, and high quality rain gear. And I agree with the above post, don't go cheap on the boots. Camo is ok but isn't necessary, natural colors work fine. Sitka, First Lite, Kuiu, Stone Glacier are a few brands I've been around or personally used that have quality high tech light weight fabrics.
Agree with this. I live in N Idaho and the ability to layer up and down is a must. I have had it go from 35 at sunrise to 65 and then a storm will roll in and it will be 30 and snowing by 5 pm the same day. Merino is a must, Sitka is great gear but any big brand will work. NO COTTON! Cotton will kill you if you let it.

Boots are always a must and they need to be fully broken in. Worn for at least 25-40 miles before you start hunting. If you get hot spots, dont wait. Take care of your feet and NO COTTON socks.

I have stocked up on quality Merino socks and also have a roll of leukotape if hot spots start.
Headed to do much more hiking in two weeks than I will on the hunt in October.

The boots will be put to the test before the hunt so any problems should arise before I'm hunting.

I have stocked up on quality Merino socks and also have a roll of leukotape if hot spots start.
Headed to do much more hiking in two weeks than I will on the hunt in October.

The boots will be put to the test before the hunt so any problems should arise before I'm hunting.
I found to help break in boots is to stand in water for a few minutes, it will soften the material some then go for a hike and they stretch and break in nicely

Rain / snow is always possible in the mountains. Don't go cheap on the boots. Just make sure it is a a breathable membrane so you let that out while walking
^^^^^ the boot thing! I should know, I have cheap boots! 🤣🤣🤣. But I also don't travel any distance to go hunt whitetail, and while it's cold in November December in Saskatchewan, it's predictably cold and it stays cold - the only way your encountering moisture is sweaty feet or if you somehow get snow in you boot if you don't properly pull the elastic of a pair of ski pants overtop the boot. Cold and dry isn't hard to dress for compared to alternating temperatures and possibly getting wet on top of everything else.

I don't buy into most of the fancy gear but if I were travelling somewhere to go on a "special" kind of hunt to me, a proper pair of boots would be spending priority number one. If your feet are done, you are done, no way around that.

Here is a snap shot of my early season kit....only thing I do is add gloves and cold weather stuff in October - maybe a woobie too for glassing

Whats in the pack???
Rocky Mtn Calling bugle and reeds, I use 6 different reeds
First aid kit. I never go anywhere without it and its packed with everything to treat from cuts to broken bones.
Katadyn Water filter
2 headlamps - always bring a back up with tons of batteries
Sitka Bio Harness with Swaro Binos, Leica Range Finder, and GPS
Game Bags - use antimicrobial early season. Heavier yes, but protects the meat when its 70 degrees
Fire starters, extra release and 2 wind checkers
2 Knives of Alaska knives.
Small plastic tarp cut into a 36x36 piece, protect the pack and my back from blood - Grizzly often trail the blood and yes, it has happened to me. (bear spray and Glock 10mm pistol, rain gear go in too but not pictured) N Idaho is bear country for sure
Extra G5 fixed blade broad heads and protective bag - use fixed blades on elk and thicker game
2 extra cow calls, along with reeds it makes me sound like 3 different cows.
License - stay legal
Toilet paper - well, because
😉

550 cord, might need to hang quarters if there is more than one trip or if I have to come in the next day (Bears)
Marking tape, face camo
Stone Glacier 3100 ci pack, rain cover, with MSR 1 gallon water bladder.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-30 at 1.42.37 PM.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-08-30 at 1.42.37 PM.jpeg
    340.2 KB · Views: 28