DIY Form 1 Suppressor Question?

The post said FLORIDA. Why do people ask questions they already know the answer to ? You must be an attorney.

My actual state of residence is none of your business.

Just went to Silencer Shop web site and I must say the JK Armaments Modular Solvent Trap Kit is a very nice set up. The design is a lot like my SOS HUNTER. They both screw together externally.

Should make it pretty easy to have a replacement section in the event you have a baffle strike.
Brother in law just bought one and says it's really a quality product. He made his for a grendel and says it's better than his Harvester to the naked ear.

Sorry I have kind of dropped out of sight!

My mom passed away last night...nearly 70 years of smoking is rough on the body!

The word on them there not worth the money. Seems none of the "kits" are.

Shot my SBR (10.5" 6.5 Grendel) last night in a hunting situation (without ear protection)...little beach rang our ears with my .30 SOS Hunter on it. I used that can on 6.5-06, 16" 6.5 Grendel and 7.62x39 and it's quite as a mouse.

I'm learning on the Form 1 Forum that short barreled rifles require special attention in suppressor design.

When I get back from hunting I will post up some details on the Form 1 suppressor I'm planning to build just for this rifle. The nice thing about it, if it doesn't work, I can move it to a different rifle and build another one!

Any kit (there's probably a more appropriate term) recommendations for a .308 or larger rifle?
Short (most desirable) answer is yes, BUT...will be as quite as you could have or desire?

Long answer is no! There is not a kit as good as what you could piece together.

The cone count normally needs to be at least 8, most guys building want 10 to 12. If you want to keep the length down you will need to shorten the skirts on some of the cones to get the stack short enough to fit your tube.

Then there are special "cuts" on the cones to make it more quite. Yes you could do it to your kit and I would .

Also those cuts are different on a can for sub-sonic use than they are for super sonic cans.

AND there are parts that dont come with the "kits" that help even more if your build for higher pressure cartridges. Yes you could put those part in your kit can...but you might not be able to find one that would fit the kit ID of the tube.

The more you research this, the more you learn that there are better options than kits.

For the cost of the JK Armament "kit" you could build a custom can and have some money left over.

Some pistol cartridges seem best suited for kits...9mm especially...45ACP and 44 mag will need a little custom things done to the cups, but you can do those mods with common hand tools.

I'm still digging around for the parts I need for the SBR 6.5 Grendel. As soon as I figure out all the parts I plan to post what I'm going to use.

My mom passed away last night...nearly 70 years of smoking is rough on the body!

The word on them there not worth the money. Seems none of the "kits" are.

Shot my SBR (10.5" 6.5 Grendel) last night in a hunting situation (without ear protection)...little beach rang our ears with my .30 SOS Hunter on it. I used that can on 6.5-06, 16" 6.5 Grendel and 7.62x39 and it's quite as a mouse.

I'm learning on the Form 1 Forum that short barreled rifles require special attention in suppressor design.

When I get back from hunting I will post up some details on the Form 1 suppressor I'm planning to build just for this rifle. The nice thing about it, if it doesn't work, I can move it to a different rifle and build another one!
Sorry for your loss

You are all grown men and can do what you want and you all know that your actions hold consequences , I'm not going to argue that point. I'm just not a person that wants to take a chance of being an example by the atf-- yes I have multiple form 1's , but I did more than just drill 1 hole.
For reference : in 2017, 3 companies were "visited" buy the atf for selling solvent trap parts-- "dark side defense", "solvent traps etc", & "sd tactical" all but sdta were shut down and reports said that customer data was consfiscated ( no proof of that though on the records). -- sdta no longer sells baffles of any kind and they now sell "barrel shrouds" not solvent traps-- the rumor was that they were allowed to stay in business with a loss of merchandise and a fine because they actually possess an ffl/sot license. But that may just be rumor

All of this is pretty much moot as like I said, I've never heard of anyone with a legit form 1 getting a knock on the door, but it could be a possibility some day and I'm not the one to take that chance

You sure are paranoid.
Do you own any silencer's?
I do,I have 4 of them that I did with a Form 4 Trust years ago. I'm also in the process of doing three Form 1 builds from Solvent trap kits. Went to the Sheriff's Dept. today to get fingerprinted,but the person that does them is on vacation this week.

On a Solvent trap,as long as the end cap isn't drilled,it can't be considered as a silencer/suppressor because you can't actually fire a live round through it. The ATF might not like it,but unless it is drilled completely,it's not a silencer.
Think of it as an 80% lower,it's not a firearm until you machine out the trigger area,and the holes for the trigger pins and safety.

It's hard for them to say it "Illegal Constructive Intent" when you have an account on the BATFE website,have done or have attempted to get fingerprint cards,and have arranged the services of an engraver to legally mark said items once you get approved for them.

My mom passed away last night...

SBR (10.5" 6.5 Grendel) last night in a hunting situation (without ear protection)...little beach rang our ears with my .30 SOS Hunter on it. I used that can on 6.5-06, 16" 6.5 Grendel and 7.62x39 and it's quite as a mouse.

Sorry for your loss, I've been there, but it gets easier with time.

For the suppressors I was amazed at the volume difference with subs between a 10.5" and 16.5" 22lr barrel. Even with the subs, the 10.5 is noticeably louder. The 16 sounded like a pellet gun, the 10.5 sounded lime a finish nailer

Suppressors do not "silence" with supersonic loads. That's why the SEALS 300 B/O are subsonic.
The advantage with supersonic loads is that they destroy directionality. I.E. the bad guy cannot locate you by the sound.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.