Debate time..... caliber selection

Which do u prefer, 6.5 creedmoor or 6.5x284?
2 totally different animals in rifle configuration. So it's hard to compare.
The creedmoor is a 23" varmint contour in a McMillan a3. Not so much a hunting rifle.
The 6.5x284 is a 26" Bartlein 3B in a HS precision sporter style stock.

The Creedmoor load development was super easy, The 284 I'm still not totally satisfied with. But I like the velocity that's for sure. Plan to shoot a few deer with it this fall

Hold off on the 6mm and do a long action .284 Win. Do the 6mm later. The .284 loaded to fit into a 30-06 mag length is amazing. Low pressure (I use RL 26) and high MV.

I think this is also dependent on platform, factory vs custom. While 7mm's (even 6.5mm and 6mms) have higher BC, very few factory rifles come with twists fast enough to handle them. On the flip side, almost every .30 cal rifle comes in 10 twist which can handle most of the heavy high BC bullets. So if any guys going to pick a factory rifle are reading this, know your twists before choosing caliber so you get the most out of it.

You do realize that when you travel with a rifle or pistol (airline travel, mostly) you cannot store your weapon and ammo together. Sometimes things get lost. Sometimes you never get them back thanks to the thieves at the TSA. When that happens and you're on a $10,000+ hunting trip, you have only ONE option left...Go find some ammo for your rifle. If you are in a very remote area, there might only be 1 or 2 mom & pop stores around, and the more common of a caliber you are shooting, the greater the likelihood of them them having some ammo to help you get through your hunt.

This is why everyone says "find it anywhere". ;)
And just how many US hunters have $10,000 Plus to blow on a hunting trip?
Perhaps one in 10,000? And if I'm a thief I'll steal your Camera Binoculars Wrist Watch
Long before I'll steal rifle ammo. Heck steal the rifle itself before the ammo?
Your reasoning might apply to an elite very few hunters But not most of us!
Certainly not to a guy looking for a do it all rifle...

Last edited:
Its hard to beat the 300 rum, you can take it from a flat shooting short range with a 160-170 grain bullet traveling 3450 up to a 230 LR hammer going 2950+.

Wow talk about multiple topics...alot of good advise here, many different opinions. I love the argument that "you can buy it anywhere if you lose your ammo!" I drive everywhere in the lower 48. Wont lose my ammo. And if you have a specialized handload that you have shot and shot, do you really want to buy some cheap federals and shoot your trophy at 700 yards? This is LONG range hunting...

Who wants to pick just one rifle? More fun with several....

I agree, if ur buying ammo that you don't have the dope for you ain't shooting long range.

It would be a convoluted discussion if fatjake asked what's eight best all around calibers lol or something like that

Old school 30/06.

Good for gophers too Grizzly Bears.
Lots of bullets too choose from.
Works well with alot of powders.
Medium recoil in Sporter model, next to nill recoil in target match grade in heavy barrel.

It's not the long range critter getter, but it can reach out there when a accurate re-load is made for the rifle.
Easy too target shoot match too 1 km and beyond that.
Proven track record in all categories of the Firearm world as no other cartrage will hold as many records as the 100 year design.

It is not the best cartrage on the market, but it is not the worst.

It has factory re-duced loads for small frame humans, or can be loaded too Max that would make folks pay attention to.

The thread asked for 1 do all, so I'll leave it at that as this caliber is my go too rifle for all round,,, yes I have another rifle that is the equal to the 30/06,,, but that's for a different thread that asks what are your 2 favourite picks.

The above is a IMO only as each of us choose what best works in the area we live and the critters as well as other shooting sports we use our rifles for.

Western Canada Pal Don

Last edited:
And just how many US hunters have $10,000 Plus to blow on a hunting trip?
Perhaps one in 10,000? And if I'm a thief I'll steal your Camera Binoculars Wrist Watch
Long before I'll steal rifle ammo. Heck steal the rifle itself before the ammo?
Your reasoning might apply to an elite very few hunters But not most of us!
Certainly not to a guy looking for a do it all rifle...
Look, I'm going to cut you a break because you're new here. I explained my (and several others' comment), and whether it applies to you or not, is up to you. It was just a comment, plain and simple, and I explained it when you questioned it. Take it or leave it, no need to argue a true fact.

As for whether it applies to everyday hunters, it actually does. Some folks don't reload. Some folks can't afford to reload. Some don't have time to reload. Some choose not to reload.

For those folks that only need a 1-rifle arsenal for big game, this fact STILL applies. Forget the $10,000 hunt, say you go hunting with a buddy, and run out of ammo or need more, or forget your ammo, or any number of stupid reasons that you get separated from your ammo... You will be hunting for the first store that sells ammo. You will be praying they have what you need. Therefore, common cartridges and knowing what factory ammo your rifle also shoots well, can be very beneficial in the event you get separated from your handloads or your hunting ammo you need.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.