Dead Meat 125 broadheads

I would say one blade deployed when fired, or you hit something like a branch along the way, or your arrow deflected on impact. It happens. What I did not hear you say in your description was that you were able to watch the arrow flight. I do two things. I always use a lighted nock (where legal) and I set up my phone to video the shot. The video is very important. It lets you see impact, reaction, where the animal ran, what direction, if it was bleeding, and where your arrow went. I found one of my arrows (again from the Ravin) that deflected hard right exiting the rib cage. Arrow should have been in the line of shot 5-7 yards beyond where the does was standing. Instead it deflected hard right and buried in the grass. If I did not have the video I would have had to wait until that night to try to recover the bolt from a morning hunt. The nocks add cost, but they save that money in finding a bolt and more importantly allowing you to see arrow flight through impact. If you arrow had a deployed blade, or hit something, your nock would have been making screw thread movements in flight.

I have a Raven and a Parker. Raven shoots their expandable head and I have taken shots that looked great watching the lighted nock, but the arrow came out weird after impact. I have had one on a nice Illinois buck hit above the heart, but them came straight down out of his chest and stuck in the ground standing almost vertical. Buck was not recovered. Had an Illinois doe do the same. I should say that both were shot at 55 yards.

Now my Parker, I shoot Muzzy fixed. I have not lost a deer or bear with the muzzy. It powers through and cuts the whole way.

I keep saying I need to test the accuracy of the muzzy out of the Ravin and while writing this post, I have committed to do that.

I will say the deer and bear that have been hit by the expandable, and the arrow traveled as intended through the vitals without deflection, have been devastating. The expendables have also been deadly on turkey without fail.

Last edited:
Ever wonder why someone that goes after the big animals they use a fixed broadhead?
I shoot a Matthew's bow, set at 65 lb draw, I've once used a Rage 3 bladed mechanical broadhead, I shot a doe at 25 yds, my video shows it should have been a heart shot, but the broadhead NEVER penetrated her any, the arrow bowed upon impact downward, imagine a horseshoe look (a lite arrow nock makes it easy to follow) the arrow recoiled up and then deflected underneath her. Yes I realize the shot placement, but there was no reason that broadhead did not penetrate.
I then switched to my son's G5 broadhead, yes I sighted it in, and my next shot was on a turkey at 22 yds. I shot the gobbler in the vitals but even though it killed the turkey the arrow did not exit. I realize a turkey has a lot of feathers, it was a broadside shot so I have wing feathers to go through too but still NO exit.
My normal broadhead is the old fashioned Bear 125 gr and I have NEVER had one not to enter and exit on either a deer or turkey. btw I'll take all the mechanical broadheads you guys want to give me so I can put them on ebay :) because that all they're worth to me. I may limit my distance using a fixed broadhead, but again know your range and stay within it and use something that will give you entry/exit wounds.
I shot a doe from a tree stand, I was 25 feet in the air, she was almost straight below me-10 yds from the tree, there was snow everywhere btw, when I released the arrow it struck her in the top of her back, to my surprise she ran about 75 yds before lying down to die. When I skinned her my arrow actually went through the knobby part of the upper spine, through a top rib and the exit was through a bottom rib, there is NO WAY a mechanical could do that imo, way too much bone. My guess is that either of those mechanical I tried would have passed through the knobby bone on top of the spine but it would have stopped when it struck the upper rib bone and she'd ran off and I could have followed her as she disappeared because of the lite knock riding high.
A bad shot is a bad shot, you have to hope for the best if that happens, but as it's been pointed out if you use a nock that lights up that will give you a lot of information as it goes towards your target and when it strikes the animal, plus it makes finding your arrow a lot easier.
I started this with, "Ever wonder why someone that goes after the big animals they use a fixed broadhead?", the answer is simple, penetration!
My2c for whatever it's worth to y'all.

Ever wonder why someone that goes after the big animals they use a fixed broadhead?
I shoot a Matthew's bow, set at 65 lb draw, I've once used a Rage 3 bladed mechanical broadhead, I shot a doe at 25 yds, my video shows it should have been a heart shot, but the broadhead NEVER penetrated her any, the arrow bowed upon impact downward, imagine a horseshoe look (a lite arrow nock makes it easy to follow) the arrow recoiled up and then deflected underneath her. Yes I realize the shot placement, but there was no reason that broadhead did not penetrate.
I then switched to my son's G5 broadhead, yes I sighted it in, and my next shot was on a turkey at 22 yds. I shot the gobbler in the vitals but even though it killed the turkey the arrow did not exit. I realize a turkey has a lot of feathers, it was a broadside shot so I have wing feathers to go through too but still NO exit.
My normal broadhead is the old fashioned Bear 125 gr and I have NEVER had one not to enter and exit on either a deer or turkey. btw I'll take all the mechanical broadheads you guys want to give me so I can put them on ebay :) because that all they're worth to me. I may limit my distance using a fixed broadhead, but again know your range and stay within it and use something that will give you entry/exit wounds.
I shot a doe from a tree stand, I was 25 feet in the air, she was almost straight below me-10 yds from the tree, there was snow everywhere btw, when I released the arrow it struck her in the top of her back, to my surprise she ran about 75 yds before lying down to die. When I skinned her my arrow actually went through the knobby part of the upper spine, through a top rib and the exit was through a bottom rib, there is NO WAY a mechanical could do that imo, way too much bone. My guess is that either of those mechanical I tried would have passed through the knobby bone on top of the spine but it would have stopped when it struck the upper rib bone and she'd ran off and I could have followed her as she disappeared because of the lite knock riding high.
A bad shot is a bad shot, you have to hope for the best if that happens, but as it's been pointed out if you use a nock that lights up that will give you a lot of information as it goes towards your target and when it strikes the animal, plus it makes finding your arrow a lot easier.
I started this with, "Ever wonder why someone that goes after the big animals they use a fixed broadhead?", the answer is simple, penetration!
My2c for whatever it's worth to y'all.

Guys, I'm a gun hunter, but the season here in Maryland is so good, and so long that I took up crossbow hunting a few years back. I've upgraded to a Ten Point Viper, gs400. Bolt weight is 488 with 125 head. So, this past year after several sits, a giant 10 pointer walks out from my right. He came to the bait pile sniffing at 27 yards. Last lite, so I put my speedscope on crease behind the shoulder, between 20-30 dot, and squeezed. I heard the impact, deer ran about 20 yes a stopped. I thought he was gonna drop. Then he took off. Not too fast, but disappeared. No blood on ground, bolt was WET, but didn't stink. Trace of blood on fletch. Looked for him two hours that nite, and 4 hours next morn.
Here's where it gets interesting. Two days later, he was back in my cameras.
Thoughts are the broadhead partially opened, and flew astray. A few others I know believe the same. But for the life of me, I don't know where I hit him. Had hair on broadhead, wet shaft, and blood on tail fletch.
Thoughts! Please!
Ps bolt speed is 377 fps.
Probably flew high and hit between lungs and backbone. Just my thoughts!

Probably flew high and hit between lungs and backbone. Just my thoughts!
My G5 deadmeat broadheads are some of the most destructive I've seen to date, this is on nuisance control permits recently everything dropped within 30 to 50 yards, oftentimes a lethal hit will not leave a bloodtrail, especially higher up, fur soaks up lots of blood.These were taken with the TP Vapor RS470,arrows were recovered 75 feet away.

Attachments

• g5.jpeg
    g5.jpeg
    357.5 KB · Views: 11
  • g51.jpeg
    g51.jpeg
    241.3 KB · Views: 12
  • g52.jpeg
    g52.jpeg
    76 KB · Views: 10
My G5 deadmeat broadheads are some of the most destructive I've seen to date, this is on nuisance control permits recently everything dropped within 30 to 50 yards, oftentimes a lethal hit will not leave a bloodtrail, especially higher up, fur soaks up lots of blood.These were taken with the TP Vapor RS470,arrows were recovered 75 feet away.
I assume those are entry wounds not exit wounds?

I have shot and recovered several, that looked just like yours as well. I shot a spike in the early season, that no offense, Stevie Wonder could have found. I found absolutely no blood, after a lengthy inch by inch walk the next day. I was sick.