Dead Meat 125 broadheads

7stw

Guys, I'm a gun hunter, but the season here in Maryland is so good, and so long that I took up crossbow hunting a few years back. I've upgraded to a Ten Point Viper, gs400. Bolt weight is 488 with 125 head. So, this past year after several sits, a giant 10 pointer walks out from my right. He came to the bait pile sniffing at 27 yards. Last lite, so I put my speedscope on crease behind the shoulder, between 20-30 dot, and squeezed. I heard the impact, deer ran about 20 yes a stopped. I thought he was gonna drop. Then he took off. Not too fast, but disappeared. No blood on ground, bolt was WET, but didn't stink. Trace of blood on fletch. Looked for him two hours that nite, and 4 hours next morn.
Here's where it gets interesting. Two days later, he was back in my cameras.
Thoughts are the broadhead partially opened, and flew astray. A few others I know believe the same. But for the life of me, I don't know where I hit him. Had hair on broadhead, wet shaft, and blood on tail fletch.
Thoughts! Please!
Ps bolt speed is 377 fps.

I just can't get behind expandable broadheads. 125 grain old school thunderheads always killed stuff with my bow. It only took one time losing an animal with expandables to say never again. I've recently switched to montechs as they're ridiculously easy to sharpen.
I have since changed out to Ramcat 125. They fly great.

Guys, I'm a gun hunter, but the season here in Maryland is so good, and so long that I took up crossbow hunting a few years back. I've upgraded to a Ten Point Viper, gs400. Bolt weight is 488 with 125 head. So, this past year after several sits, a giant 10 pointer walks out from my right. He came to the bait pile sniffing at 27 yards. Last lite, so I put my speedscope on crease behind the shoulder, between 20-30 dot, and squeezed. I heard the impact, deer ran about 20 yes a stopped. I thought he was gonna drop. Then he took off. Not too fast, but disappeared. No blood on ground, bolt was WET, but didn't stink. Trace of blood on fletch. Looked for him two hours that nite, and 4 hours next morn.
Here's where it gets interesting. Two days later, he was back in my cameras.
Thoughts are the broadhead partially opened, and flew astray. A few others I know believe the same. But for the life of me, I don't know where I hit him. Had hair on broadhead, wet shaft, and blood on tail fletch.
Thoughts! Please!
Ps bolt speed is 377 fps.
I shot a doe. And it felt like a dang good shot. Complete pass thru. And there was blood all over the ground. She stood there breathing heavy. And looked as if she should drop at anytime. She did this for a good 10 to 20 minutes. And never did fall or lay down. I thought I would give her another arrow before it got dark. So I climbed down the stand to get another shot. I couldn't get a shot from where I was. And as soon as I drew my bow, she took off across the field. Just moving slow enough so I couldn't get a shot. I climbed thru the fence to where she was standing. It looked like someone got murdered where she was. So I started tracking. It started out well. Blood was easy to find. Then it was a small drop here & there. So I started marking spots with the few arrows I had in the quiver. As I watched her go into the woods on the other side if the field. My buddy came down when he saw me looking with my flashlight. We looked for hours. I came back the next day. And it was raining cats & dogs. I looked for about 6 hours & never did find her. And during rifle season no one said a thing about seeing a dead doe. And we drove these woods about 4 different times. There's a small creek near by. I walked this creek for miles assuming she would head there. Never did find her. Or here of anyone else finding her. I did notice when she got near the woods that night her speed definitely picked up. And she even jumped 3 strands of barbwire. Did her wound clot up enough for her to live ? Is this even possible ? I would have never believed she would make it pass the field. Let alone live after seeing all the blood loss. I am still amazed by this deer resilience to survive. This was the first time I didn't have good results with a mechanical blade. Even with a not so good of a shot. Which I assume is what happened. Every other deer shot dropped or were found within 40 yards at best. I have also butchered a deer for a customer that was shot in the hind leg. Hit the artery just enough to kill the old boy. Talk about dumb luck.

Last edited:
My experience with Crossbow Broadheads seems to the opposite of some here. But I know fixed broadheads can do the job and I certainly know expandable broadheads do the job. And they make a bigger entry wound and lots more blood.

We talk a lot about "shot placement" on LRH. But however important shot placement is for rifle hunting, it is so much more important when bow hunting. And yes, to my shame I learned this the hard way. I just refuse to let a Crossbow Bolt loose anymore unless it is really a perfect shot and I'm sure that I am dead on when the arrow flies.

Shot a doe in my back woods Wednesday Evening before dark. It was a perfect quartering away shot and landed just where I wanted it. She ran to the top of the hill and disappeared. I could see the arrow sticking out of her right after the shot at 32 Yards. I was certain she was dead, but also refused to go look for her until the morning light came the next morning. (That is a hard lesson to learn, to make yourself wait till morning when you shoot one at dusk, but it is always the best thing to do, unless it is hot and you have predators.) Found her at the top of the hill Thursday morning. She was pretty frozen! This was my first experience with Swhacker 100 grain expandable 1.75" broadhead. Good penetration and blood spray on both sides of the trail, so really pleased. Shoots accurately in my Excalibur Exomax. If you get a wide wound and two holes, what's not to like?

But any deer you hit that isn't a double lung/heart shot can get away no matter what broadhead you use. That's just the truth about bowhunting. So if you aren't sure you can make that perfect pocket shot into the boiler room, it is better to let them walk. Your manhood is not at stake if you let a deer walk away.

I shot a doe. And it felt like a dang good shot. Complete pass thru. And there was blood all over the ground. She stood there breathing heavy. And looked as if she should drop at anytime. She did this for a good 10 to 20 minutes. And never did fall or lay down. I thought I would give her another arrow before it got dark. So I climbed down the stand to get another shot. I couldn't get a shot from where I was. And as soon as I drew my bow, she took off across the field. Just moving slow enough so I couldn't get a shot. I climbed thru the fence to where she was standing. It looked like someone got murdered where she was. So I started tracking. It started out well. Blood was easy to find. Then it was a small drop here & there. So I started marking spots with the few arrows I had in the quiver. As I watched her go into the woods on the other side if the field. My buddy came down when he saw me looking with my flashlight. We looked for hours. I came back the next day. And it was raining cats & dogs. I looked for about 6 hours & never did find her. And during rifle season no one said a thing about seeing a dead doe. And we drove these woods about 4 different times. There's a small creek near by. I walked this creek for miles assuming she would head there. Never did find her. Or here of anyone else finding her. I did notice when she got near the woods that night her speed definitely picked up. And she even jumped 3 strands of barbwire. Did her wound clot up enough for her to live ? Is this even possible ? I would have never believed she would make it pass the field. Let alone live after seeing all the blood loss. I am still amazed by this deer resilience to survive. This was the first time I didn't have good results with a mechanical blade. Even with a not so good of a shot. Which I assume is what happened. Every other deer shot dropped or were found within 40 yards at best. I have also butchered a deer for a customer that was shot in the hind leg. Hit the artery just enough to kill the old boy. Talk about dumb luck.
Complete pass through what, stomach,or another non vital place, any animal double lunged even a big testosterone fueled buck will drop within 100 yards when shot that way, most in less than 50.

Complete pass through what, stomach,or another non vital place, any animal double lunged even a big testosterone fueled buck will drop within 100 yards when shot that way, most in less than 50.
Lungs is what I was aiming for. I usually don't miss that shot at under 30 yards. But I'm not saying it isn't possible. She wasn't the only deer I was concerned with at the time either. Trying not to get busted.

Could you see any wound marks from the picture of him after? There is a no man's land if hit higher than expected which is super common with bow but even a with a crossbow. At these speeds the deer can and do react to the shot. Dropping or jumping the string is an almost certainly. If you see a wound in the upper 1/3 of the chest, that's my bet. I'm not a fan of expandables either.

Could you see any wound marks from the picture of him after? There is a no man's land if hit higher than expected which is super common with bow but even a with a crossbow. At these speeds the deer can and do react to the shot. Dropping or jumping the string is an almost certainly. If you see a wound in the upper 1/3 of the chest, that's my bet. I'm not a fan of expandables either.
Jumping the string may have been prevalent in the days of 300fps bows, and crossbows, almost an impossibility now at speeds above 400fps, and as high as 515 fps, I use a 470 fps crossbow that actually shoots 478fps,and jumping the string will never happen guaranteed. đź‘Ť

So many comments could be made about this. My 2c has come down to this. My brothers biggest deer was shot at 25 yds. with 100 gr. Rage broadhead. He called me to help track it. dark by the time i got there and went to where it was shot. Blood out both sides 5 yds. you could almost see it without flashlight. Turned up a ditch and had only gone about 35 yds. Asked him why he called me. said he was so excited he was afraid he would mess up. Forgot to mention it was double lung.

My experience with Crossbow Broadheads seems to the opposite of some here. But I know fixed broadheads can do the job and I certainly know expandable broadheads do the job. And they make a bigger entry wound and lots more blood.

We talk a lot about "shot placement" on LRH. But however important shot placement is for rifle hunting, it is so much more important when bow hunting. And yes, to my shame I learned this the hard way. I just refuse to let a Crossbow Bolt loose anymore unless it is really a perfect shot and I'm sure that I am dead on when the arrow flies.

Shot a doe in my back woods Wednesday Evening before dark. It was a perfect quartering away shot and landed just where I wanted it. She ran to the top of the hill and disappeared. I could see the arrow sticking out of her right after the shot at 32 Yards. I was certain she was dead, but also refused to go look for her until the morning light came the next morning. (That is a hard lesson to learn, to make yourself wait till morning when you shoot one at dusk, but it is always the best thing to do, unless it is hot and you have predators.) Found her at the top of the hill Thursday morning. She was pretty frozen! This was my first experience with Swhacker 100 grain expandable 1.75" broadhead. Good penetration and blood spray on both sides of the trail, so really pleased. Shoots accurately in my Excalibur Exomax. If you get a wide wound and two holes, what's not to like?

But any deer you hit that isn't a double lung/heart shot can get away no matter what broadhead you use. That's just the truth about bowhunting. So if you aren't sure you can make that perfect pocket shot into the boiler room, it is better to let them walk. Your manhood is not at stake if you let a deer walk away.
Processor told me both lungs were destroyed. So I guess I'm pretty pleased with my first try with a Swacker expanding broadhead. I'm tempted to try the 2" but physics tells me I would not get as much penetration as with the 1.75".