Daypack Dilemma

Noobie

Ditched the shoulder harness daypack because it interfered with slinging the rifle over the shoulder and rifle, pack, binocular weight on shoulders. Switched to a fanny pack to put weight on the hips but in very cold temps it has to go under the heavy overcoat and is hard to access. Don't like the idea of a rifle scabbard - too slow to deploy when seconds count. There is also the issue of binoculars bouncing around and pulling everything off to do a bit of spotting scope work with a bipod.
There needs to be a bit of volume to stow field dressing gear.
Also need very accessible rangefinder and somewhat accessible GPS, along with the ability to add or shed and store layers of clothing as the day warms or exertion demands.
Some capability to pack out a quarter or so.
Possibly a better way to sling the rifle?

I have always hunted with a fanny pack and a bino harness system (basic). This year I spent six days up in B.C. on mule deer hunt. I switched to the KUIU bino harness with the rangefinder attachment and I will continue to do so. It kept everything right there and kept my glass much cleaner.

I also bought the KUIU 1500 day pack on sale and it was perfect for me. It did not interfere with my rifle sling. I highly recommend taking a look at it (when on sale of course)!

Ran the Kuiu Venture Divide 2000 pack this fall on two hunts and very happy. I have been running through packs and bino Systems every year to find the just right effect. Just upgraded the bino pack to the new Kuiu one. Feels better than their first for me so we will see on that.

I like the Alaska guide Creations bino hardness, has all the features and is very well thought out. I use the Kuiu Divide 2000 for day pack. Lots of adjustments in the shoulder strap and hip belt to tailor the fit to what I needed. I'm 6'0" and 180 lbs. I'm not a big fan of the Kuiu rifle sling. Have not found a rifle sling system i really like.

This a small Kuiu 1800 do what you need, safari sling.Get small pouches for radio ,laser on hip,My own harness for bio on QD.But FHF makes a kit for packs.Have one on my late season set up
IMG_0035.JPG

The others more my light bow set up this is my rifle Exo 2000 hold lot more I run without lid have my Atlas and LR on hip and 5 rnd holder too Bladder Nalagen when cold, which it was this day but had blow back in tubeGun bearer for rifle, kill kit,puffy,trek pole,inreach,onX,I have hip pouches and lid but cut all that to save weight as I'm older this has FHF harness and can buckle my kuiu bag on but has to be a blizzard for me to use,don't like the bulks up front my Swarovski s have caps on top ran em this way for 20 years IM at 9500'

Attachments

• IMG_3973.jpeg
    IMG_3973.jpeg
    293.9 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
This a small Kuiu 1800 do what you need, safari sling.Get small pouches for radio ,laser on hip,My own harness for bio on QD.But FHF makes a kit for packs.Have one on my late season set upView attachment 523111
I like the sling setup for the rifle. Do you slide it off the muzzle or do you deploy the rifle with the sling on?
Don't see the 1800 on the Kuiu website, is it a backpack or a daypack, and can you remove the bag for hauling?
I see their Divide 1500 has a removable hip belt, will it put most of the load on the hips or is the frame too flexible?

Ok, I have the best system for me in over 20 years of hunting as of this year.

The last couple of years I have been using a Mystery Ranch Sawtooth 45 pack for day hunts. I have hiked up to 13 miles/day with a full pack and its comfort has been the best I have found thus far. The pack rides on your hips if you set it up correctly and order the correct suspension size. Its meat shelf system is absolutely awesome as far as packing animals out goes. Packed lots of deer and elk quarters out with this pack. It has ample storage for all the day items you listed. I have yet to find a downside to this pack.

The last couple of years I've been running a Mystery Ranch reg sized bino case for my 10X42s. It's nothing fancy, but does its job well and I'm able to mount Kuiu accessories to the side straps. Plus, I got it used for like $25! I did order a Kuiu XL harness for the larger binos I will be buying this year. TBD if I like that harness as I haven't used it yet.

Lastly, the biggest game changer this year is the addition of the Slick Sling (google/youtube it) that attaches to the frame and waist belt of my pack. This is the best invention in the hunting world I've seen in many years. All of your rifle's weight gets transferred to the waist belt on your pack. No more sore sling shoulder! The last couple days of hunting this year, I carried my 12ish pound Rem Sendero around without issue. It is also relatively easy to deploy your rifle with some practice. The sling allows you to be hands free so I run trekking poles (double as shooting sticks for me) all the time now.

I was able to harvest a nice whitetail buck and cow elk using all the items listed above.

The Safari sling stays on and is across both shoulders.I still run this some in real grizzly thick areas, and or with spring bearing the thick stuff.They don't make that pack but they have something in the 2200 size with built in carbon frame, there packs are the lightest.The Gun Bearer is well known KIFARU-loop off web belt and a cam buckle up at shoulder, this is hands free.FHF gear is the bino, suspension off pack D rings, its the best 25 dollars you can spend and use a bind bag with it too.kuiu pro 2300,has meat carry between bag

Exo with FHF suspension and kuiu bag,but I 95% run bino only on there The Exo pack is heavier but far more rugged build and great comfort with a load, the top expands and rolls out, compared to the 1800 the Exo with lid will carry twice as much, I can use for a bivy hunt for weekend, also have a 3200 or so pack too You can see my bullet carry,Atlas in pouch,lazer off shoulder strap and sometimes I run a radio, just put on web belt, also a hand gun at times, horn hunting.I have a hand cannon on a low ride 2.5 '' brass rings it sits easy access below hip belt

Attachments

• IMG_3670.jpeg
    IMG_3670.jpeg
    241.6 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Saw some Alps internal frame camo packs at the local shop. Anybody have experience with these?
I use one of their larger packs for my long range equipment. It's going on 3 years and so far I can't complain. I caught it on sale and it had most of the features higher cost packs had. So my experience with their product has been positive.

Ok, I have the best system for me in over 20 years of hunting as of this year.

The last couple of years I have been using a Mystery Ranch Sawtooth 45 pack for day hunts. I have hiked up to 13 miles/day with a full pack and its comfort has been the best I have found thus far. The pack rides on your hips if you set it up correctly and order the correct suspension size. Its meat shelf system is absolutely awesome as far as packing animals out goes. Packed lots of deer and elk quarters out with this pack. It has ample storage for all the day items you listed. I have yet to find a downside to this pack.

The last couple of years I've been running a Mystery Ranch reg sized bino case for my 10X42s. It's nothing fancy, but does its job well and I'm able to mount Kuiu accessories to the side straps. Plus, I got it used for like $25! I did order a Kuiu XL harness for the larger binos I will be buying this year. TBD if I like that harness as I haven't used it yet.

Lastly, the biggest game changer this year is the addition of the Slick Sling (google/youtube it) that attaches to the frame and waist belt of my pack. This is the best invention in the hunting world I've seen in many years. All of your rifle's weight gets transferred to the waist belt on your pack. No more sore sling shoulder! The last couple days of hunting this year, I carried my 12ish pound Rem Sendero around without issue. It is also relatively easy to deploy your rifle with some practice. The sling allows you to be hands free so I run trekking poles (double as shooting sticks for me) all the time now.

I was able to harvest a nice whitetail buck and cow elk using all the items listed above.
That SlikSling is nice! Looks to be you could run it with just the rifle butt in the sling in the 'port arms' position for a faster deploy, yet still have the weight of the rifle on the hips.