cva accura (long range)

ericmeverson

Hey guys I am New to this forum and excited to learn new things about shooting long range with a muzzloader. I plan on buying the new cva accura lr. What I plan on shooting on targets to 300 yrds and beyond. Not deer just targets. What would be the best bullet to get to reach out. I'm thinking about the Barnes or Hornady in the 300 grain range with a magnum charge. What do you guys think. As for a scope I wanna get the Nikon bdc reticle 300. Let me know what you think.

I have a spot that I the deer come out in the fields and it's 200-260 yrds away and I can't get close enough or they'll spook. Some come out at further. That's why I want the long range muzzloader. Seen a good buck last yr but couldn't get any closer than 285 to 300 yrds. I wanna nail him this year.

I worked up a quick load in my Acurra MR with 110 grains of Pyrodex and the 300 grain SST. With a 1x scope I was shooting sub MOA at 100 yards with a 1x scope (required in UT). I bought the breach plug for Blackhorn and will try it at longer ranges this summer.

I worked up a quick load in my Acurra MR with 110 grains of Pyrodex and the 300 grain SST. With a 1x scope I was shooting sub MOA at 100 yards with a 1x scope (required in UT). I bought the breach plug for Blackhorn and will try it at longer ranges this summer.

Are you going to range test iot with a higher mag. scope, looks interesting!

Are you going to range test iot with a higher mag. scope, looks interesting!

I actually used the rifle to shoot just under a 6" group at 200 yards with that scope and it had less than 1/2" vertical. The wind was blowing a little erratic and those slugs don't cut through it very well. Im excited to try it this summer at 300 yards just to see what it'll do but I'll probably leave the 1x scope on since that's what I'll be hunting with.

Would a 6x24x44 konus pro scope work ok on my muzzloader for long range. I plan on shooting long range so I figured on getting a high powered scope. I didn't know if recoil would be to much for it the gun will come with the durasight scope mount so I think it will be ok what do you guys think.

300yds is a long way with a production muzzleloader. Not that it can't be done, as some muzzleloaders shoot to 1,000 yards. However........ shooting accurately at 300yds takes a LOT of practice. LOTS OF IT. Once you pass 150yds, wind plays a factor. Once you pass 200yds, wind plays a much larger factor. A 10mph wind will move the bullet 8" from POA at 200yds and 2 FEET at 300yds (most production rifle loads). Its not as easy as many may assume. If you can't see it, you won't hit it. Quality optics are necessary.

I actually used the rifle to shoot just under a 6" group at 200 yards with that scope and it had less than 1/2" vertical. The wind was blowing a little erratic and those slugs don't cut through it very well. Im excited to try it this summer at 300 yards just to see what it'll do but I'll probably leave the 1x scope on since that's what I'll be hunting with.

Oh, I understand what you are saying and not wanting to change your hunting set up, But I do wonder how well your rifle would perform with a good scope with some mag, likely very well.

Oh, I understand what you are saying and not wanting to change your hunting set up, But I do wonder how well your rifle would perform with a good scope with some mag, likely very well.

I still may throw a 3x9 on it and see if I can tighten up the groups but I'm very pleasantly surprised how well it does with a 1x scope.

Shooting at that range is IMO a very low probability shot. You will need a good range finder, a rock solid rest with support on the front and rear of the stock to start with, as well a meter to test the wind. I have a Knight Long Range Hunter, that's been glass bedded, has a target trigger set at 2 lbs and shoots 1/2" groups at a 100 yds. Load wise I use Harvester's 300 gr PT Gold, a Harvester Black crush rib sabot and Federal 209 A primer and 110 gr of BH 209. I sight it in 2" high at a 100 yds. At 175 yds. it will be 4-5 inches low. That load has about a 12" drop at 200 and it falls off very quickly as you stretch your shot past 200 yds. At that range your retained energy decreases a lot as well. I hunt in W Texas & the brush is so heavy that you lose sight of your animal very quickly and you can't see if it goes down. As Encore said, it takes a lot of range time to be accurate at that range. Very few hunters , using CF rounds are consistently accurate at 250 to 300 yds. I limit my shots to 200 yds. Too much risk of wounding and losing your target.

Would a 6x24x44 konus pro scope work ok on my muzzloader for long range. I plan on shooting long range so I figured on getting a high powered scope. I didn't know if recoil would be to much for it the gun will come with the durasight scope mount so I think it will be ok what do you guys think.

No disrespect, but the Konus is a low end scope. Not sure how it would handle the magnum loads you will be shooting to handle your long range plans. Any 6 X 24-42 is way more scope than you need and your field of view at close range is so small it would be difficult to find your target I have a Nikon Gold 1.5 x 6 with a 30mm tube on my LRH and have never felt I needed more power. At the ranges you want to shoot, good glass and the type of reticle is critical. You don't have to buy a Swarovski or Night Force etc., but Vortex, Leupold, Nikon, Meopta etc all have quality scopes in 3 x 9 -42 which is all the power you need and won't break the bank.

Thanks pooldoc for the information I'm just going to go with a 3x9x40 Nikon omega 300 scope. I'm not going to be shooting past 300 any way I will be shooting at 300 but not extremely long range like you guys do.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.