Custom

jbo829

Hello all I'm just curious as to how much smiths charge to chamber and thread a barrel I'm looking into getting custom action and building some is is cheaper to go with a good action that accepts prefits most of the guns for sale are crazy high this time I've seen some plain Jane factory guns selling for 1000 plus
Getting a custom from classifieds sets u back 4000+ so better to just gather parts slowly and build something to my specs and liking
What would u friends consider be my best options

Pause, take a breath, use punctuation, and the search function.

Rates depend on your area- maybe start with telling us where you're at and if you've already had discussion with a smith. Finding one and talking with them is very beneficial- they can guide you based on your intended purposes and budget, as well as specification preferences. All of these things would also need to be listed in addition to your question (I think...there was no punctuation :D ) above if you're going to get any meaningful help on this forum. Best of luck!

I understand and sry for the mistake. I'm eastern TN not a lot of smiths in this area
That's why I was looking a prefix barrels and action and doing the job myself
Parts should be around 2800-3000 and it looks cheaper than buying a custom from classifieds

get hold of russ at bugholes they will sell you the action and build your barrel for it an origin action would be a good one to look at but there are so many good ones out there these days they are in cookville TN

I was looking at the origin line because I seen so many good reviews on them and some with switch barrel capabilities

Lots of prefit barrel options out there for many of the big action makers. Big Horn, Defiance, BAT, Terminus, etc. You should be in good shape if that's the route you want to go. I'd start with picking an action you want, then finding a short list of barrels that fit your needs for your build. If needed, you could always order a barrel and ship it to a smith to have it chambered for your action if you can't find a prefit- many smiths can do this for your custom actions without the need for the action in hand. I've never done it- I like my smith to have all my parts in hand but he's also a short drive for me.

You can also do a Remage setup- Remington barrel threads but uses a barrel nut like a Savage. I have a few and they're great, but I do prefer the custom chambering done by my smith on a shouldered barrel.

Don't forget about your stock, either- those lead times are looooooong if you custom order one. My last couple of builds, I've ordered barrels based on stocks that were in stock/available I could buy right then, just to get the stock out of the way.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts