• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED Custom rifle or factory?

338RUML

Going to buy a 6.5-300 Weatherby mark V I will get the terra mark version for 2,000$ then I would send it to Weatherby and have an accubrake put on for another 200$ totaling 2,200 dollars give or take a hundred, it got me thinking or should I buy a custom deviant, surgeon, Templar action and build a custom rifle? What would be the best action for this caliber with a 28" barrel spiral flutes would be cool then a brake and have it powder coated to top it all off. What do you guys think go custom or is the mark V action and barrel just as good? Also what would be the best barrel to put on this? Liljia, Kriger, Brux, I want to keep it in the mid range for weight so right down the middle on barrel contours with flutes

I'd do a custom/semi-custom built.

Option #1) Semi Custom: Probably pick up a used Weatherby Mark V and re barrel it. Cheapest way to get a better barrel if you like Weatherby actions (which I do).

Option #2) Full Custom, I'd do a Stiller Predator action because a 6.5-300 Weatherby is long and the Stiller Predator action works with the Wyatts extended magazine boxes giving you extra COAL for seating VLD's out there. It also has the Remington 700 Long Action footprint so you can snag a used stock or will be able to find something without a long wait time.

All high-end barrels are going to give you excellent accuracy but people have their favorites and swear by them. I have multiple Bartleins, 1 Brux, and 1 Rock Creek. They're all nice.

Get on redhawkrifles email list. They're always doing coupons and free shipping. Best prices I've seen. They have a fluted 6.5 Bartlien in the 3B contour right now. I'd snag it. I have that contour (fluted) on a 300 win mag and it's perfect. Not light, not heavy.

Get on redhawkrifles email list
those are good guys to deal with always great price on B&C stocks.

you can buy those WBY rifles cheaper than the price you have posted just need browse.

Mauser or Win70 CRF action would work fine or grab a WBY Vanguard in 300wby cal and re-barrel it.

If I went custom it would be full custom a surgeon or some other top of the line action I want to build the best rifle I can, we have had a few Weatherbys between us only marks Vs and every one of them from 240 Weatherby up to 338-378. Have shot extremely well for factory rifles with an amazing action, I would be happy with the group it would hopefully produce I like everything about them.. Then surfing the web I see these tactical spiral fluted long range rifles topped with nightforce atacr scopes and all the goodies and think should I buy a mark V or build a bad *** rig for a thousand or so more? Who makes nice mid contour spiral fluted 6.mm barrels?

All good choices on actions. Great scope choice.

lilja does fluted barrels of any contour you want.
Home - Lilja

I think this is a relatively new barrel maker but I hear good things about this company and they do spiral fluting:
http://www.x-caliber.net/
(quick turn around as well)

This very highly regarded company will flute barrels, bolt handles, etc.:

Kampfeld Custom - Custom Rifles, Custom Gunsmithing

Don't want to talk you out of the 6.5-300 weatherby. Great choice and it's about the fastest 6.5 out there (non wildcat, non exotic) that comes in a commonly found factory rifle, you might find at a local Cabelas or Sportsmans warehouse. 26 Nosler is something to look at as well. 6.5 SAUM GAP 4S is also neat but now your losing a few more FPS. Anyways... Lots of 6.5 options and seems like more all the time.

Building rifles is addicting. It can be a puzzle getting everything just the way you want it. Watch the weight of your components... All of a sudden you'll have a 18+ LB rifle to pack around. May or may not matter but I have a feeling lots of people end up with more gun than they really wanted, weight wise.

Recent Posts