Custom molded ear protection

Have you used custom molded ear protection and find it comfortable?

• They are comfortable

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • It is so comfortable that I forget about the plugs in a few minutes

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • They are no better than foam plugs

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • I have not used custom molded protection

Votes: 5 25.0%

• Total voters

precisionshooter

I have been having a hell of a time reading about the experience of people posting in my other thread about suppressors. In this one, I want to understand what people think about custom molded electronic ear protection. I am a competition shooter and use over the ear electronic ear muffs and double up with foam ear plugs. I believe I get a reduction of about 35db. Even with slim muffs, it is a little uncomfortable to have a proper cheek weld.

Does anyone have experience with electronic custom molded ear protection? Something like Pro Ears or Tactical Hearing. Case in point, I get very uncomfortable with stuff stuck into my ear canals and can only tolerate foam plugs for a couple of hours before I have to take a break and pull them out. I understand they are very expensive (for me at least) but I might as well save and get a pair if others have a good experience with it and found it comfortable.

Last edited:
I use Radians molded plugs but not the electronic ones. The kind that are a 2-part compound. Mix them together, push into your ear and forms to YOUR ear canal/ear shape. Takes like 10-15 minutes to set up.

I shoot 95% of weekends a year, maybe miss 3 a year. I shot 4800-5600+ rounds a year for the last 5 or 6 years. I wear them from 3 to 6 hours a day. Very comfortable, and they do a great job of protecting my ears. I keep a pair in every truck I own, plus in my shooting box.

I use custom molded electronics from sound gear. I honestly wouldn't say they are any more comfortable than foam plugs and they go pretty far into your ear but block out the sound better I really like the electronic but they are pricey comparatively, I wish I would have ordered a set of just molded solid plugs at the same time, the electronics are great for group or matches but if you are solo it's a waste of battery's

Check your health insurance they may offer coverage for hearing protection, my electronics actually got filed under hearing aids and covered the whole thing, over $1000

I have non electronic ones from "sound gear" for work-- they fit too well- I have to wet them to get them to seat correctly, and they kinda create a suction when removing them but they dont bother me much once in--- also watch the actual NRR --- my sound gear molded are rated at 28nrr, the work supplied foam plugs (spark plugs) are 33nrr so if inserted correctly the the foam ones are rated higher and much cheaper

Look into different sizes or styles of foam plugs-- some are more comfortable than others

Last edited:
I used custom molded earplugs for 6 years of 12 hour shifts with a job one time, with one connected to the plant radio I carried. Best system in 37 years of plant industrial work! memtb

I've used custom digital ones from EAR Inc. for years, including in WY and CO this year for elk.
As with many, they amplify all the sounds but work great to eliminate the loud noises such as slamming doors, rifle shots, etc.
I do tend to get used to wearing them and not notice them after a while.