custom build 408 cheytac?

shuamee

looking to put a gun together it will be the first cutoms build i have ever had done. i like the bc's of the 408. i need to know everything like who puts out the best barrels, actions everything, only thing i know i want is a mcmillan a-4 or a-5. ideas?

I would contact a member called Fiftydriver. He builds guns using rounds that are more extreme like the 408CT. He has also does wildcat round using the 408 case necked down to .338 called 338 Allen Mag. I'm sure there are other builders on this site that can do the job, I'm not trying to disrespect any of them.

I don't know that I would recomend that caliber for your first custom build without knowing how much experience you have .
That is a specialized caliber for a specific use. If you don't have the grounds to shoot 1500yards and beyond, don't build it.

looking to put a gun together it will be the first cutoms build i have ever had done. i like the bc's of the 408. i need to know everything like who puts out the best barrels, actions everything, only thing i know i want is a mcmillan a-4 or a-5. ideas?
If you want to build an extreme long range specialty gun like that I'd say look HARD at the .375 Cheytac.

As stated above though they are very much specialty weapons and not a practial hunting caliber unless you plan on shooting elephants and cape buffalo at 1,000 and Moose, Elk, and Bison at 1,500-2000 or more.

There are lots of calibers far more practical and most certainly easier and far less expensive to load for or to buy ammo for than either of those.

If I could afford one I'd certainly have one, but then I have actual opportunities to put them to practical use.

To get one built and built right by the time you have the whole package complete you're probably looking at 6000-7000.00 or more before you even buy your first round.

the money is not really a prob i cant go out and get this right now im gonna have to save a little just want somethin done, done right, and do wat i would like it to do. shoot distance very accurately.i know its mostly up to the shooter to do their part but if im gonna build a gun im not gonna halfway build one and then go get what i wanted to start with i do reload and i have a place i can shoot 1500yds and they are about to extend it to 1mile in a month or 2. just want to have a really good idea of wat i want where to get it and everything before i just go buy it. if you think theres a better caliber im open to suggestions

the money is not really a prob i cant go out and get this right now im gonna have to save a little just want somethin done, done right, and do wat i would like it to do. shoot distance very accurately.i know its mostly up to the shooter to do their part but if im gonna build a gun im not gonna halfway build one and then go get what i wanted to start with i do reload and i have a place i can shoot 1500yds and they are about to extend it to 1mile in a month or 2. just want to have a really good idea of wat i want where to get it and everything before i just go buy it. if you think theres a better caliber im open to suggestions
Read up on the .375 Cheytac then.

Before you commit though I'd strongly suggest finding some guys who shoot 50bmg, 416 Barrett, the 408 and/or 375 Cheytac so you can get the feel of being behind them.

I've shot all of the above excepting the 416B and I promise you it's quite a ride, but not one everyone can enjoy.

If the rifle is not built right and/or you have the slightest problems with huge blast/concussion and very heavy recoil you'll walk away after the second shot and never want to do it again.

At a minimum you'll want at least a 20-24lbs package, tube gun desing with built in recoil dampening in the chasis and an extremely efficient brake.

A year ago I would have told you to go directly to Cheytac but they had some quality control problems over the last year and I'm not sure they've worked them all out.

In that case,
I would do alittle more research on the caliber over at sniper'shide.
As far as caliber, I would go 338 or 375 , not 408.
Those 2 will outshine the 408 ballistically.
For a gunsmith, there are a few guys that have built these,
Dave Viers of Viersco Mag,
Bruce Baer in Pennsilvania,
Kevin Cram of Montour rifles
A couple of years ago I had Bruce Baer and Joel Russo build me a 338 in a 16# platform. Hell of a gun and caliber. 300gr SMK's at 3200fps

The search button is your friend!

I have a 408 Cheytac but I wish it was a 375 Cheytac. I just need to swap barrels at some time. The 408 is very capable but the 375 does it easier.As mentioned before take a HARD look at the 375. There are some serious good BC bullets coming out for the 375.

If I was going to go crazy, and build an all out ultra long range rig this is what I'd do:

Call Fiftydriver

Tell him I want a full blown Raptor in .338 Allen Mag

Have him put the heaviest Manner's T5-A they make on it

Then hold on for dear life

Here's his email, I want pics when it's done. [email protected]

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.