Custom browning x-bolt?

Kcollins01

My gunsmith just built a x-bolt with a proof barrel in 300rum for a client. Has me interested in putting a new barrel on my 270 eclipse. Has anyone else done this? Or would you just sell the browning and go with a 700 or custom action?

What can a custom action do better than a browning with a high quality barrel and chamber?? Only down side to browning is aftermarket support.
It all comes down to how much money you want to spend. If done right and with the proper load worked up, a worked over browning or any other action for that matter is going to shoot just as good as any full custom.

What can a custom action do better than a browning with a high quality barrel and chamber?? Only down side to browning is aftermarket support.
It all comes down to how much money you want to spend. If done right and with the proper load worked up, a worked over browning or any other action for that matter is going to shoot just as good as any full custom.
I agree I gave that x-bolt to my younger brother. We are huge 25-06 fans and that gun is a 270. He always uses his savage axis 25-06 over it just because of the caliber. Figured if I could rebarrel it he'd use the browning more.

Easy now. There has been many of debates over the years on here about how a custom action is better in every way!!! That being said, you're spot on! A true action is a true action, which is a true action. Something on a 700 footprint is going to have more options but once you buy all the stuff what does it matter? @JHandy2314 usually has some good deals on browning McM stocks regularly!

I'm curious
What does it cost to purchase a 700 action? What does it cost to have it trued up? What does it cost to change extractor and firing pin springs? Or if you want to put an after market bolt in what does it cost? What does it cost for a rail? What does it cost if you want it nitride or cerakoted?

Most of the time you can get a 700 action around 600-700. Or buy a used rifle and buy it for the action and save more. Trueing the action typically 200-250 maybe more but not where I live. Typical cost on firing pin springs depending on your smith is really just the cost of the parts and a minimal up charge as it is not a time consuming process by any means. Rails are dependent on who and what you buy, 40-200 bucks… and ruffly 100-200 for nitride or cerakote, depending on how much your doing, might be more. So most of the time you're probably going to be around about a 1200 to the smith maybe more for trueing, bedding, trigger job, barrel cut and chamber, threading ext. Depending on what products you chose to buy, and use in your build all compound into the price of the finished product. Example 1600 for a custom action, , 40-400 for a trigger, 350- 1200 for a stock, rifle barrel 350-800, rings and bases 100-500+, optics 100-6000, muzzle break 50-300, bottom metal aftermarket 40-300 then you throw on the machining, trueing, and general labor and it's not hard to be into a semi custom rifle 2500 bucks. And unfortunately that's why most "custom" rifles run a person 5000 +. Also factor in shooting components, now that adds on as well. So truly what it really comes down to is more of the cost of the parts, and 1200- more to the smith for their time and skills.

I'm curious
What does it cost to purchase a 700 action? What does it cost to have it trued up? What does it cost to change extractor and firing pin springs? Or if you want to put an after market bolt in what does it cost? What does it cost for a rail? What does it cost if you want it nitride or cerakoted?
I did the same thing with my last build . I started with a new rem 700 action .$ 480. Then after you price to true the action and all the other work it put the cost into custom action territory. You can look up pricing from LRI and it adds up quickly . Then as many had said its still just a rem 700 and value is not as good as most custom actions . I think it was going to be north of 1200 bucks to get everything done on the rem action so it went down the road and I got a Kelblys for a few bucks more .

My gunsmith just built a x-bolt with a proof barrel in 300rum for a client. Has me interested in putting a new barrel on my 270 eclipse. Has anyone else done this? Or would you just sell the browning and go with a 700 or custom action?
I personally have gone down this road and I can tell You go custom. You'll be dollars ahead in the end

Check out PTG, Dave has Stiller actions for $750 with rail and recoil lug, Remington blueprinted action kit with PTG bolt, 20 MOA rail, ground .200 lug, M5 bottom metal, trigger, everything you need for $1,150.00. https://pacifictoolandgauge.com/ptg...ction-combo-with-trigger-long-or-short-action. https://pacifictoolandgauge.com/ptg...on-combo-s-700/21623-ultimate-ptg-blueprinted. I have an early '70's 700 in 270 that I was going to blueprint and rebarrel but I think I'm going to sell it and buy one of these kits or possibly the Stiller since I already have everything to put it together except a barrel.

If you like the Browning and have someone that can put a new barrel on it, why not go that route? Sure, you can find more things to upgrade/tweak a 700 footprint action, but is this what you want to do with this rifle? There are so many ways you can go in this wonderful world of rifle shooting and hunting. The only thing that will limit you is budget and personal preference.

Mc Millian does stocks for browning and they show up with good prices here in the classifieds. That said, throw a barrel on your action and it will be good to go. Personally I like browning actions as much as custom actions, because they have a bolt lock. And the 60° bolt and easy to adjust trigger, what more does a person need.