Custom .280 AI build for $2k

Max Draft

Hello, new guy here. I'm curious if possible to build a custom .280 AI for less than $2k? Ideally would have carbon fiber stock and barrel.

Eurooptic.com has the 280 AI Christensen Arms Ridgleine for $1700, but it's not a true carbon fiber stock (it's composite) and it has a 26" barrel, putting the overall length at 48". That seems big for primarily a hunting rifle.

I saw a stainless steel 700 action listed in classifieds but I'm too new to reach out the guy (RobfromME). I assume that plus a prefit CF barrel from x-caliber and a stock from Mesa Precision would get me pretty close to $2k budget. I've built myself an AR before, but not a hunting rifle. Any thoughts? Should I just buy the CA Ridgeline?

Hello, new guy here. I'm curious if possible to build a custom .280 AI for less than $2k? Ideally would have carbon fiber stock and barrel.

Eurooptic.com has the 280 AI Christensen Arms Ridgleine for $1700, but it's not a true carbon fiber stock (it's composite) and it has a 26" barrel, putting the overall length at 48". That seems big for primarily a hunting rifle.

I saw a stainless steel 700 action listed in classifieds but I'm too new to reach out the guy (RobfromME). I assume that plus a prefit CF barrel from x-caliber and a stock from Mesa Precision would get me pretty close to $2k budget. I've built myself an AR before, but not a hunting rifle. Any thoughts? Should I just buy the CA Ridgeline?
You cannot contact each other via PM, but you can respond to his post and provide your e-mail or CP and communicate from there.

It can be done, you just have to work at it. I built my 280 AI for $1200 all in, including optics and Gunsmithing.

Rem 700 w/PTG 1 piece bolt
Callahan Speedlock
Holland recoil lug
TriggerTech special
PTG Bottom Metal
Brux #4 8 twist barrel
McMillan Hunter Stock
Hawkins Precision LR Hybrid Rings
Leupold VX-5 HD 3-15x44, Impact-29 reticle

3f2d96c17ad644041cc6743c24487177.jpg

It can be done, you just have to work at it. I built my 280 AI for $1200 all in, including optics and Gunsmithing.

Rem 700 w/PTG 1 piece bolt
Callahan Speedlock
Holland recoil lug
TriggerTech special
PTG Bottom Metal
Brux #4 8 twist barrel
McMillan Hunter Stock
Hawkins Precision LR Hybrid Rings
Leupold VX-5 HD 3-15x44, Impact-29 reticle

3f2d96c17ad644041cc6743c24487177.jpg
Nice looking rig. What does yours weigh? What's the barrel length?

With prices high here in Canada; there's no way I can build my 280 AI for $2000. I will be about double that by the time I'm done. This doesn't include optics. Plus my friend does the gunsmithing for free. Action and stock type really are huge factors in the price. Sure wish I could build guns for 2K up here. All the best on your build. Should be a great gun.

Recent Posts