Curious question

If we keep the .361 of free bore, then we can increase the powder capacity and hopefully keep the pressure down. The thread on the nosler forum talked about having a normal 30 cal chamber. As the weatherby factory loads were to hot.
Again just brainstorming. Waiting on PTG and the reamer.

Darrin
I don't know what the thread on Accurate shooter is talking about, I never modify, I buy what I want and leave it at that. Except for muzle brakes, or as @memtb likes to call them, weedburners 🤣

.300 ackley, .300 Jarrett, I think feenix made some version of it he called a .300 LARA.
Nope I dug up some old threads, it's a .300 Jarrett / ackley case with a 37.5 degree shoulder.
You are correct. The .30 LARA is based on the .375 H&H parent case and has a 37.5° shoulder angle, while the .300 Jarrett has a 35° shoulder angle. There are slight differences in the neck dimensions/FB, but they are very close.
6 of 6.jpg

.300 WBY vs .30 LARA

.300 Ackley vs .30 Lara.JPG

Side-by-side picture comparison - best I can do.

.300 WBY Improved/.300 Ackley vs. .30 LARA.

.30 LARA 1 of 9.jpg

.30 LARA 5 of 9.jpg

Last edited:
If we keep the .361 of free bore, then we can increase the powder capacity and hopefully keep the pressure down. The thread on the nosler forum talked about having a normal 30 cal chamber. As the weatherby factory loads were to hot.
Again just brainstorming. Waiting on PTG and the reamer.

Darrin

Or…….shoot Barnes bullets. They are often pretty darn happy to be set back off of the lands a ways. Plus in equal weight to cup and core they are longer, with can give a win - win. More bullet in the case and closer to the lands if desired!

Just a thought! memtb

Okay I know this is a stupid question, but when I create the 40 degree angle shoulder and fire form brass will it decrease the neck of the original case? Or will additional steps be needed
Are you referring to my .338 Thor? Please be specific so I do not misconstrue your question. If you are referring to my .338 Thor, yes, the neck will be shorter, as will the OAL because it is by design (spec reamer). If you refer to the picture in #6, yes, because you remove the WBY double radius. Below is a .270 Win and .270 AI.

1711416525725.jpeg

The neck is longer because the shoulder junction is shortened - changed in datum reference. This will create a tight-fit chambering when you load a .270 Win to a rifle chambered for .270 AI - shoot it fire-form - and you're done. Hope this helps

Recent Posts