Crimp removal and other advice needed

I played this game a lot and ended up with a Dillon super swage. Reaming primer pockets became a chore to hang on to small cases that are being torqued from a reamer bit after a while, and doing batches was a pain. The swager is great. Any brass that I know hasn't been processed by me just gets slapped in the swager real fast before it goes into my Ammo Plant. Takes a couple seconds per case, and there's no extra work needed after the swager to deburr or clean up

Okay, I have acquired a good amount of once fired 223/5.56 brass and need to remove the crimp from a large majority of it. I have a Dillon,750 and purchased the Swage It to use but do not like how much strain it seems to put on the shell plate and how it jostles the press as much as it does. I have tried the RCBS "die" that fits in my single stage Rebel but it took is pretty difficult to get the case to release sometimes, I have to hit the handle up to get the case to release. That gets loud and my hand begins to feel it after a while. The reamers and cutters wear my hands out trying to hold the little cases and apply pressure to them while I am trying to cut/team out the crimp. I know there are several options and they range in price. The easiest for me has been running them through the 750 but like I said, it doesn't seem like it would be a good option long term for my press and shell plate. Would the CP2000 or RL1100 be better suited for this since they have the option from Dillon? The tool for my 750 is aftermarket and Dillon doesn't recommend it, matter of fact it voids the warranty they say. I guess if the 2000 or 1100 are the two best options, would you think it would be better to spend a little more and get the 1100 or just stick with the 2000 and use it strictly for prep? Maybe add the trimmer too? Long post I know but I am trying to get it all out there the first time. My hands and fingers are the biggest problem for me, they hurt, cramp and go numb while trimming, primer pocket work and other things along those lines. Trying to save time and pain. Thank you for your help and input!
I have used just about every swaging tool out there. These beat the heck out of your press and sometimes dont get all of the crimp out.The only way I have found to be not only reliable but also easy (somewhat) is to use a cutting tool to remove the crimp. The last cutter I used was a Burstfire. It worked good. Link below. Use a rubber type glove when you handle the cases. It sticks some making it easier on your hands. Welcome to the world of referbing military cases.

I bought the LEE APP press with swager just for swaging out 223/556 primer crimp. Set it up and do 1000+ at a time. Use that brass for gas guns.
I've looked online at this setup and it intrigued me. I was hoping someone would chime in that has it. How well does it work? Did you buy the stand and mount it on it or on your reloading bench? Any dislikes?

Dillon SS 600. Bolt to a board, clamp on bench, use rubber band for auto eject, and you can fly through 1000's of cases very quickly.

Let me ask this, would it be worth the money to buy the CP 2000 or RL 1100 and the motorized trimmer? It's a lot of money but I could deprime, size, swage and trim on one machine. There's probably more I could do but at least those things. If I got the 1100 I could get two tool heads, one for prep and one for priming, flaring, powder drop, bullet drop, seat and crimp. Am I right? Then the only thing I have to figure out is how to deal with the tedious work, primer pocket uniforming/cleaning, flash hole deburr etc. Right?
I went down the road you are on 20 years ago. Did brass by the 5 gal bucket full. I used the RCBS tool, the stand alone Dillon, and the Forster cutter in my Forster power case trimmer.

Add up the cost of the tooling you need. Figure out how much brass you want. Go on gun broker and buy fully processed lake city 5.56. Load and shoot. Enjoy the savings in time and money!

By far the best way to hold the case when using a case center reamer is with the RCBS case collet holder that comes in the neck turning set. Plenty of grip and ergonomics. It's slower than toughing it out with a glove.

I use the RCBS. If I had to do it again, I would find another way. That said, I cut a piece of cleaning patch off and put case lube on it and lube the swaging button each case. PITA, but better the slamming the press handle. Thank goodness I only have the swage once.
Good - LC 5.56 brass is high quality and worthy of the extra effort. I have a small bucket full of LC range brass, like free & use a Q tip soaked with greasy case lube on the RCBS swaging thingy for each swage. I small base F/L size.

There's an APP for that!! LOL. I love my Lee APP for processing 5.56 and 9mm military brass. I do all the sizing, depriming and swaging using my APP. Lee recently released the APP Deluxe that has even more features than the original APP. The APP is a game changer if you process military brass. I spray my brass in a gallon bucket using Isopropyl Alcohol and lanolin, size and deprime them, then switch over to the swaging die and go to town. After sizing, depriming and swaging, it is onto the Giraud Triway for trimming to length while chamfering and deburring all in the span of about 5 to 7 seconds per case. After that, they go into the wet tumbler with stainless chips which returns them to a factory new finish. I have processed 10s of thousands of rounds of brass this way. The new Deluxe APP looks great and is really reasonably priced.

Now I am going to sound like a psycho, but I do enjoy processing the brass
There's an APP for that!! LOL. I love my Lee APP for processing 5.56 and 9mm military brass. I do all the sizing, depriming and swaging using my APP. Lee recently released the APP Deluxe that has even more features than the original APP. The APP is a game changer if you process military brass. I spray my brass in a gallon bucket using Isopropyl Alcohol and lanolin, size and deprime them, then switch over to the swaging die and go to town. After sizing, depriming and swaging, it is onto the Giraud Triway for trimming to length while chamfering and deburring all in the span of about 5 to 7 seconds per case. After that, they go into the wet tumbler with stainless chips which returns them to a factory new finish. I have processed 10s of thousands of rounds of brass this way. The new Deluxe APP looks great and is really reasonably priced.
Do you have yours mounted on a stand of some sort? Does the case feed system work well?

As others have already stated, get the Dillon Super Swage 600. It's easy to set up, and rarely needs to be adjusted from one brand of brass to another. It only takes about 3 or 4 seconds per piece to swage.

It's a separate tool, so you don't need to change your 750 setup to use it....and it might be a Dillon but it's not overly expensive.

Recent Posts