Coyote killed my dog.

In COOS county northern New Hampshire most know you don't leave your dog out alone or tied out especialy at night! We have Bears, Coyoe's, Foxes, Racoons, Cougar and Fisher Cats roaming around day and night. It is an open season on Coyote here all year long. We hunt them all year long to keep the population down. They usualy come around at night. I go out with my dog at night into my fenced in back yard. Abby will catch a cent and start snorting and howling. I put the back spots on and if I can see one he's dead meat!!!

Yes absolutely yes it will be back, this particular coyote has been educated by the unfortunate death of your couch pal. Time to kill this ***. Based on my experience out here in the farm lands of Harnett county these jokers will bring a few friends once they figure out there is an easy meal. Crossbow my friend all day long super easy to use and not a big deal in the neighborhood. If you take it personal like I did I would allow him to speak to his pack for a min or so after you shoot it, they won't ever come back after he says I just got F****** up everybody run!

Loved the video. Thanks Wedgy
I watched a coyote run across the street in front of me(I almost ran him over but I wasn't fast enough) then jump up a 6' block wall without breaking his stride then start running down the top of it, just like a cat. The have this thing called the "Coyote Roller" to keep them from doing this.
https://coyoteroller.com/

Anytime you shoot at a coyote and he makes it out alive, he has been educated.

I live in the county and every spring when the cows calve, the coyotes show up. They will eat a calf any chance they get. This past spring, inside of two months, I shot and killed 5 coyotes from my back deck area. That doesn't count the ones that I killed while calling or trapping during the winter. Every year I kill several this way and have killed several doubles while they were eyeing the calves. I think you have to consider that for every one you see there are many more that you haven't seen. The one that got your dog may not be the one that you see next. KILL THEM ALL.

Coyotes have excellent vison, hearing and sense of smell, that is part of what makes them so challenging and fun to hunt. My favorite coyote cartridge is the ole .243 using Nosler 70 grain. I haven't had a coyote take one step when I do my part. When I use the .223 with Hornady 55grain V max I have had them run a little way before dying. Unlike some of these guys the farthest I have killed a coyote at is about 380 yards.

JMHO stay away from the poison, you don't want to accidently kill a neighbors pet. Leg hold traps are an option if your familiar with trapping but then again think twice if you have neighbor dogs running the area. Check and follow your local game laws. Take it as a challenge and use it to educate yourself about the coyote and what works best in your area.

When I trap my property I call my neighbors and tell them to keep their dogs up.
I like watching fresh cut hay fields they come in packs especially when they are feeding pups! Hides are worthless in the summer but it's still dead!
Coyotes are still worthy of admiration...They are Survivors!! And Thrive doing it...

This is the 3rd "coyote enters thru doggy door and eats pet" occurrence in a month here in the Southern Cal area, all have had to jump a fence or block wall to get in. Plenty of cats missing too. Can't shoot in the city but I hunt the outskirts.
https://abc7.com/pets-animals/oc-dog-killed-when-coyote-gets-into-home-through-pet-door/5397935/
On cape cod bout 20 years ago they were investigating a rash of small/medium sized pet disappearances. A single den was eventually found a few hundred yards from a large residential area. There were more than 30 pet and flea collars in the den. This is what prompted our contention that small children were at risk and should never be left unattended in a backyard. This is what prompted our coyote/baby film. Shortly after a 3-4 yr old was attacked in a backyard.

I read herein where someone contends coyotes bite the throat to kill. I've seen coyotes kill. From a hilltop, I once watched a pack chase a small buck onto a frozen pond covered with 1" of new snow. The deer couldn't move, while the dogs were perfectly at home on the ice. They surrounded the deer. The buck turned and turned to face the last dog that bit it. When it turned another dog would bite it from behind. It took 1/2 hour for the buck to fall. I never saw any attempt by any dog to bite the throat, even after it fell. When the deer fell they tore into the guts while the deer screamed. They pulled its intestines out onto the snow but left the meat largely intact. An area about 1/2 acre was covered in blood from the struggle. The deer had run and run as the coyotes bit its legs and quarters. That deer died horribly, as do all animal coyotes kill.
I've investigated numerous kill sites. Notwithstanding a rabbit or other small game critter, I have never seen any coyote kill by a throat bite. They hunt in packs. They harry an animal until one or more can bite the abdomen, quarters and rear legs, often severing tendons. When the animal falls from exhaustion and blood loss, coyotes rip their way into the abdominal cavity and eat the intestines and organs. This process happens while the animal is alive and screaming. Coyotes simply do not possess the ability or tools necessary to kill large prey like the big cats. This is how your pet lab, Frosty dies.
A death by coyote is perhaps the cruelest in nature. There is no place in our world for them and they should be "extincted" with extreme prejudice! One day they will find a child killed by coyotes.

If you have nothing else to hunt or all big game is out of season, Turn yourself into a coyte humter and help rid our civilazation of them. It's not only a sport. It's a nessesity!!!!! I use my 308 heavy barreled mountain rifle at about 300 yards. One shot and they are down and don't get up again. The crows and hawks take care of the rest!

On cape cod bout 20 years ago they were investigating a rash of small/medium sized pet disappearances. A single den was eventually found a few hundred yards from a large residential area. There were more than 30 pet and flea collars in the den. This is what prompted our contention that small children were at risk and should never be left unattended in a backyard. This is what prompted our coyote/baby film. Shortly after a 3-4 yr old was attacked in a backyard.

I read herein where someone contends coyotes bite the throat to kill. I've seen coyotes kill. From a hilltop, I once watched a pack chase a small buck onto a frozen pond covered with 1" of new snow. The deer couldn't move, while the dogs were perfectly at home on the ice. They surrounded the deer. The buck turned and turned to face the last dog that bit it. When it turned another dog would bite it from behind. It took 1/2 hour for the buck to fall. I never saw any attempt by any dog to bite the throat, even after it fell. When the deer fell they tore into the guts while the deer screamed. They pulled its intestines out onto the snow but left the meat largely intact. An area about 1/2 acre was covered in blood from the struggle. The deer had run and run as the coyotes bit its legs and quarters. That deer died horribly, as do all animal coyotes kill.
I've investigated numerous kill sites. Notwithstanding a rabbit or other small game critter, I have never seen any coyote kill by a throat bite. They hunt in packs. They harry an animal until one or more can bite the abdomen, quarters and rear legs, often severing tendons. When the animal falls from exhaustion and blood loss, coyotes rip their way into the abdominal cavity and eat the intestines and organs. This process happens while the animal is alive and screaming. Coyotes simply do not possess the ability or tools necessary to kill large prey like the big cats. This is how your pet lab, Frosty dies.
A death by coyote is perhaps the cruelest in nature. There is no place in our world for them and they should be "extincted" with extreme prejudice! One day they will find a child killed by coyotes.
I lived in Minnesota for 4 years. While there I did a lot of hunting in Wisconsin. As the guys I worked with lived there and invited me on Deer and Coyote hunts. They'd use Dogs to run the Coyotes. The Coyotes would take the dogs out onto the Ice covered lakes, and then the GAMES would begin. Those YOTES knew exactly what they were doing. The dogs would fearlessly chase them out onto the ice, then they'd FREEZE once they realized where they were. The Yotes would then pick 1 dog and MOB ATTACK IT just like the deer you told us about. That's when we'd OPEN UP on the Yotes! Just like you also stated, it looked like a scene from a Horror film. BLOOD EVERYWHERE! DEAD YOTES EVERYWHERE! The Crows and Turkey Vultures and other critters cleaned up the killing zone, as none of us would DARE VENTURE OUT ONTO THE ICE! As bad as it may sound, it was a PRETTY SIGHT to us; DEAD, EXPLODED COYOTES on a Frozen lake of ICE! Fitting and proper demise for those Wiley F*****S!

I had a dog from the Rosebud reservation of South Dakota. He would take on one coyote, but if there was more than one he would stay 50 yards away. I've seen him chase one down and kick it's butt. My dog had some pit bull in him and wouldn't tolerate any trespassers in his territory.
I've seen a pack of 5 coyotes eating a yearling elk in my neighbors hay field. I was able to shoot two before they took off.
I have grandchildren and don't hesitate to kill any I see near my 40 acres even if they're on my neighbors land. Now I leave them where I shoot em and it has definitely helped keep em away from my place.

A client who lives in the San Fernando Valley was cornered by three coyotes while walking her two little dogs a few weeks ago. She started screaming and banged on a neighbors door to let her in to escape(these are city folk, no conceal carry in LA County either). She has been seeing them in the neighborhood and her backyard for about 2 months now but get this.... the nearest place they could live is about 2 1/2 miles away so they really must travel when they make their rounds. The houses are 5 feet apart with no hillsides or green belts they could hide without being noticed, let alone have a den and pups. They just adapt to hitting the town at night because the pickens are good.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.