Coyote Hunting Predatorial Series #3 - Coyote In The Crosshairs By Greg Ballard

Sadly my wife is a marathon runner and I am not, so the catching usually happens as my son and I try to get out of the house. Where do you hunt in Tx Greg?
bman940
Nikon Pro Staff

I have not gotten a chance to hunt in TX yet. I have a friend though who has access to some ranches there and said I could come down that way if I liked after the deer season ends. Would be some place out around Lubbock

I deer hunted up there last year with a buddy and his son and my son. We had 16 deer in 4 hours. No shortage of coyote food up there.
Let me know if you go and want some company. It's a 4-5 hour drive for me and the learning opportunity would be great.

That's not bad.
Let me know when you want some company Greg.
I can usually get free during the week too.

Tried out my new open reed calls Sun. eve at a large field by my house. Barely in the city limits, barely. Anyway, I frequently see yotes in the field and after 10 min. of blowing a rabbit in distress call he come 2 young yotes. Would have been a nice 200 yard shot. They loped out into the field and got to with in 100 yards of me sitting in the bed of my pick-up.
Obviously no worries by these 2.
Can't wait to get to the field with a rifle!

Sounds like a lot of fun and a bit of practise. I don't personally call to them until I am ready to shoot them as I prefer to not educate them any more than they already get by other people in the area who don't set up properly. They don't have the ability to reason but they aren't totally stupid either :)

Some of the best functioning hand calls made are from my good friend and hunting partner, Arky of ArkyYoter game calls.

Thanks AR, I understand. I have 3 Dan Thompson calls and plan on getting a couple from Carvercalls in Utah. Kerry Carver is a great guy with a ton of coyote killing experience.
sure wish I could have tapped these young uns. The neighborhood cats have been taking a beating.
Bart
Nikon Pro Staff

I know this post is fairly old, but maybe I could get some help. Greg I was wondering if you was happy with your build from lazy d guns. I'm fairly close to that area and I want to have a custom upper built in a 6mm or 6.5. I was curious about the spc brass, how available it is? I was thinking about the grendal or the 6mmAR and I could use lapua brass for these. I know that I could run heavier vld bullets with those two and still fit in the magazines. Wasn't sure about the 6spc? Also if you was going to do another build is there any others calibers you would consider?

I know this post is fairly old, but maybe I could get some help. Greg I was wondering if you was happy with your build from lazy d guns. I'm fairly close to that area and I want to have a custom upper built in a 6mm or 6.5. I was curious about the spc brass, how available it is? I was thinking about the grendal or the 6mmAR and I could use lapua brass for these. I know that I could run heavier vld bullets with those two and still fit in the magazines. Wasn't sure about the 6spc? Also if you was going to do another build is there any others calibers you would consider?

This probably long dead. But here goes.

I was excited to here your preference for a 243 . I just bought one. A X-Bolt and put a Leupold V6 3.5 - 18. I just love it.

You mentioned the 55gr. BT . How deep are you seating the bullets. There too short to get close to the OGIVE. But that doesn't seem to matter?

I shoot the Horn. 55 gr V-Max and love em. Great speed and expansion.
Best of all I can usually find them in my local big box store or on-line.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.