Cooper 260 rem or 6.5 Creedmore

startrek1761d

I have a choice of a magazine fed model 54 in 260 Remington or a single shot 6.5 Creedmore both are Cooper rifles. I will be using it for whitetail out to 700 yards, have used a 6.5x55 Swedish out to 364 yards and a 300 wsm our to 560 yards on whitetail. I want one of the calibers but can't decide which, I will be using Berger VLD Hunting Bullets which the single shot would work better than the 260 unless I shoot it single shot. I will lose a little velocity with the 6.5 Creedmore but what do you guys think? Accuracy is my main concern.

I have a 6.5 Creedmoor from Cooper. Love it. I like that chambering better than 260, but it is really personal preference. The Creedmoor has a long neck and fits better in a short action, IMO. I've settled on 130 gr Berger, and it shoots about .25" groups if I do my part. It will shoot the A-max, 140gr, around .4". So, I feel it shoots very well.

Funny thing is, I can't follow those two bullets with each other. Groups open up. After one 3 or 5 shot group right back to the averages. Tried several tests.

Those are the only two bullets I've shot, they both worked well enough. The Berger I can use the Hunter or Target. (Haven't actually shot the Hunter yet).

I say get the .260 Remington, and have the chamber reamed out to a 40* Ackley Improved chamber. Then fire-form you some brass. That should be a whitetail killer out to 700 yards, no problem.

You know what's so great about the .260 Rem and the .260 Ackley? You can buy .260 Rem Lapua brass... And if you run out of brass, you can always just run some .308 brass through the die, then let it fire-form. :D

I say get the .260 Remington, and have the chamber reamed out to a 40* Ackley Improved chamber. Then fire-form you some brass. That should be a whitetail killer out to 700 yards, no problem.

You know what's so great about the .260 Rem and the .260 Ackley? You can buy .260 Rem Lapua brass... And if you run out of brass, you can always just run some .308 brass through the die, then let it fire-form. :D
+1 both the .260 and .260 Ackley are great cartridges. Besides why choose a single shot?

Creedmoor gets my vote. I shoot one and love it. Dont shoot a cooper though.....Also with nosler and norma coming out with brass, quality brass wont be an issue. And if brass availability is low, then it can be formed from 22-250 brass. I chose this one over the 260 because of a shorter oal without much sacrifice in velocity(both are almost identical). But other than that its a flip of a coin.

+1 both the .260 and .260 Ackley are great cartridges. Besides why choose a single shot?

How many shots do you need?

OP- This is a red apple vs green apple discussion, these two cartridges are that similar. I chose the Creed just cause... The 260 Lapua brass will be some good stuff but the new Hornady brass is no slouch. Factory Match ammo from Hornady (especially the 140's) is VERY cheap & usually shoots ridiculously well.

Flip a coin brother, you cannot go wrong either way.

t

How many shots do you need?

OP- This is a red apple vs green apple discussion, these two cartridges are that similar. I chose the Creed just cause... The 260 Lapua brass will be some good stuff but the new Hornady brass is no slouch. Factory Match ammo from Hornady (especially the 140's) is VERY cheap & usually shoots ridiculously well.

Flip a coin brother, you cannot go wrong either way.

t

Sounds like Democrat talking haha. A backup shot is always nice to have, especially if you decide to Coyote hunt with the rifle. Also if you read the wind or anything wrong at 700, you're going to need another shot. This is the 21st Century, we no longer have to use single shots for hunting.

Sounds like Democrat talking haha. A backup shot is always nice to have, especially if you decide to Coyote hunt with the rifle. Also if you read the wind or anything wrong at 700, you're going to need another shot. This is the 21st Century, we no longer have to use single shots for hunting.

Now that was a little below the belt :rolleyes:

Back up shots are easy enough, here's how:

Step 1- Cam bolt handle to the uppermost position.
Step 2- Pull bolt handle to the rearmost postition- casing ejects.
Step 3- insert new cartridge onto follower.
Step 4- Push bolt handle to the forwardmost position.
Step 5- Pull bolt handle down until it stops.
Step 6- Aim this time & fire the follow-up round.

Ok so I'm being a little Facetious & ornery, don't take that literally, it was a counter jab. :cool:

There isn't as much time lost between mag fed & single shot as some believe, however, you do have to train for it.

For a coyote rig, you're right it wouldn't be efficient, that's why most have rifles configured for coyote hunting & long range big game respectively.

A large number of the dedicated LR or ELR hunters sling it single shot, on purpose. Big cases + long bullets don't always fit the magazine, especially in Short action applications.

t

I own a cooper rifle. You will be very pleased. Mine is insanely accurate. If I were you, I'd get the 260. At long range every bit of velocity counts. I'm not a fan of single shots. In hunting situations, its nice to be able to send another round quickly if needed.

I have had 4 260 rifles, one was an Ackley. WHile the performance was certainly a step up, the fire forming was a PIA. My current rifle is the standard chamber and the first 20 test loads from it all went under 0.5MOA, going to be hard to pick the right load!

I find the Creedmore very interesting but it is the perfect solution for a problem that does not exist in my mind. There is nothing that can be done with a Creedmore that can not be done with a 260. Yes it has a slightly longer neck and shorter body which allows max loads with the 140s seated to max length, but I can do the same thing with my 260, in LAPUA brass.

IMHO The debate comes down to what type of rifle you want…single shot or repeater? This dilemma may be difficult because as many have stated previously, there are benefits to both. I personally would not spend that kind of money on a single action rifle. I too own a Cooper that shoots ridiculously well and could not be happier. I know you will be happy with either one, but the repeater makes more sense to me as a dedicated hunting rifle.

My choice, if there were one, would be 260AI as mentioned.
I would choose the Creedmore over standard 260 for similar reasons: better case design & capacity for intended bullets(only ~130gr in this case).

I Prefer single shot actions myself, and convert any that don't reach me as single shots.
Aside from not limiting OAL, scraping, dinging, denting, and bowing my ammo/bullets, it kind of forces me to take higher percentage shots,, which leads to learning everything needed to hit what I'm aiming at.
Over time this led to a rule of mine: 'If I miss, it lives another day'.
There are no chasing shots from me.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.