controlling recoil lightweight rifle

Simple physics. Every action has a opposite and equal reaction. The lighter the weight, the more felt recoil. Muzzle brakes work. I have a fairly light weight .338 RUM. Before I installed a muzzle brake, the recoil was viscous. Now it is very manageable. I was leery of using a "standard" 1/2 x 28 thread because the muzzle would have been very thin. The barrel wasn't big for the other "standard" 5/8 diameter, so I ordered a 9/16 X 32 tap and threaded the barrel on a lathe and had excellent results. Several people have shot my rifle and nobody thought that the recoil was bad.

Arch408,
What does your 338RUM weigh?

Arch408,
What does your 338RUM weigh?

My Tikka T3 in 338wm weighs in at 6.375lb, stock. The custom fit Limbsaver pad makes it a pleasure to shoot. With a good scope with 4" of eye relief, you keep it on target and let it jump into the pad.

My Tikka T3 in 338wm weighs in at 6.375lb, stock. The custom fit Limbsaver pad makes it a pleasure to shoot. With a good scope with 4" of eye relief, you keep it on target and let it jump into the pad.
That's what I did with the 06 T3 but am now adding a can with a muzzle brake. The gun shoots great now but the can and brake are to put it on my fun gun list, not just the getrdone list

I have a 7mm rm that is only 7 lbs 6 onces. In it I put a mercury recoil suppressor (google that), then added a clamp on muzzle break from Whit machine. I now can fire it from a rest without holding the stock. Both items have changed how I shoot. A warning about thebreak it is loud.

I have a 7mm rm that is only 7 lbs 6 onces. In it I put a mercury recoil suppressor (google that), then added a clamp on muzzle break from Whit machine. I now can fire it from a rest without holding the stock. Both items have changed how I shoot. A warning about thebreak it is loud.

Guns are loud.

this is what happens when you try to screw with the laws of physics.
brake is a good idea but the only safe spot is directly behind the rifle.
mercury adds weight you struggled to take off.
put the weight back on with a heavier bbl

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.