Considering High End AR 308 platform

backyardsniper

I have not dealt much in the super high end AR realm, so here is the deal. I'm about to get forced to go to engineer school at the railroad where I work, it will ultimately suck but result in a reasonable pay raise. I have always been a bolt gun man, however I have recently had the itch to built or buy a very high end AR platform in either 260, 6.5 creedmore, or 308. I'm about 75% it will be a 308 with 25% wiggle room on the other two simply because I shoot 308, 300 win mag bolt guns and I have all the reloading set up , buy my bullets in bulk, blahh, blahh, you know the story. I'm not new to high end custom rifles or AR platforms. I have two scout supply built rifles on stiller actions that Russel built for me and I have had numerous AR rifles that never really shot to suit me and I now have a rock river predator pursuit upper on a rock river operator lower which I have had for a while and I really like. It is my go to coyote hunting rifle and I have killed several deer with it as well, which is what prompted me to really start looking at it as possibly the perfect hunting platform. That is what this rifle will be, a work gun, hunting rifle, gonna get used beat up packed around, taken on mule deer and possiblt elk hunts, bear hunts, numerous whitetail hunts. I have a nightforce F1 and that is most likely the scope it will wear. I'm wanting to build my future hunting companion for almost all of the hunts I plan to do in the future so accuracy is of the utmost concern. Ruggedness and reliability also are very important factors. I have a scout supply 300 win and a scout supply 338 lapua ackley imp, so all of my specialty hunting needs are covered, but you can do 90% of the hunting you are gonna do in the US with a 308 or 260.
So here is the question. What is the diference if any performance wise between , the GAP 10, JP rifles, POF, and whatever other super high end companies that are producing these rifles? Would I be better off building my own, or just buying a rock river in 308? I want reasonably light, no huge *** bull barrels, collapseable stock, possibly a PRS but probably colapseable just for weight and manuverability, 18 to 20 in. barrel, smooth slim handguards to make it easy to get in and out of my pack, eberlestock gsll. I need a great trigger, probably gonna go with a geiselle, on that one, a two stage, I really like those. SO there it is , what would yo recommend, build, buy, if you were in my shoes? I plan to post this same thread on snipershide and I put it in the longrange shooting and hunting sub forum too just to be able to compare the answers and see what the difference of opinion on equipment is between here and there.

As for GAP, look at their 6mm Creedmore! Hornady has factory brass available! I also like the .308! I think for the money, the GAP 10 is hard to beat in any caliber!

Last edited:
I talked with a buddy of mine who owns a local gun shop and told him what i had in mind, Here i sthe parts list he gave me. He specializes in building AR type rifles and he has built me a rifle previously and has also built for several friends of mine and he does very high quality work. Take a look at this parts list and tell me what you think or what you would change. BTW I have ruled out the m1a build for this project that is something I will do later as a project of its own but I just don't feel it will properly fill the needs for what I want to do with this rifle

Here's what I recommend on a .308 AR:
CMT upper and lower set
Aero Precision bolt carrier group
CMMG lower parts kit
Geissele G2S 2 stage trigger or CMC singe stage 3.5 drop-in
MagPul UBR stock
Fortis Mfg SWITCH 14" rail (top an bottom Picatinny rail with KeyMod sides and QD sling cups)
Fulton Armory Criterion 20" M110 1:10" barrel
MagPul K2+ grip
LaRue rail cover clips (covers the Fortis rail without adding weight)

Other than a quality upper/lower matched billet set, a quality match barrel, and high end trigger, all other components are cosmetic in nature, so go with WHAT YOU LIKE. If building this rifle for hunting w/ weight as a primary factor, I would avoid the UBR stock, as it is very heavy (I have a few on tactical gas guns and love them, but don't think they are the right stock for a hunting rifle).

My other observations, but again, these are more personal preference:
1) The Mega matched sets are tried, trued, and tested with great reviews......not saying CMT is inferior, but Mega upper/lower sets are more widely used for a reason.....not to mention all the cool features they have (Ambi bolt release, etc.).
2) For additional weight consideration, I would look check out the JP Enterprises low mass carrier.
3) Fulton's Criterion barrels are plenty accurate, so you should be fine there. Lots of great options, but I prefer the JP Enterprises match barrels given the accuracy and cryogenic treatment (increasing its useful life)
4) Geiselle Trigger - great choice, but I'd step up an additional $50 and get the SSA-E (3.5lb)....cleaner, more crisp break.

Oh, and don't forget to get a quality adjustable gas block.....I highly recommend the SLR Adj. Gas Blocks.....very easy to use, whereas many can be a pain in the a@@ to adjust and retain the setting.

Just my two cents, but my first was a used Springfield National Match M1A. I don't know if it had ever been fired. It still had the unused cleaning kit in the butt stock. Stupid accurate, and may not get the unwanted media attention that any AR will. 22" barrel chambered in 308. They still make them. There are a few exceptional gunsmiths that specialize in modifying them too. Yes, I still have it.

Other than a quality upper/lower matched billet set, a quality match barrel, and high end trigger, all other components are cosmetic in nature, so go with WHAT YOU LIKE. If building this rifle for hunting w/ weight as a primary factor, I would avoid the UBR stock, as it is very heavy (I have a few on tactical gas guns and love them, but don't think they are the right stock for a hunting rifle).

My other observations, but again, these are more personal preference:
1) The Mega matched sets are tried, trued, and tested with great reviews......not saying CMT is inferior, but Mega upper/lower sets are more widely used for a reason.....not to mention all the cool features they have (Ambi bolt release, etc.).
2) For additional weight consideration, I would look check out the JP Enterprises low mass carrier.
3) Fulton's Criterion barrels are plenty accurate, so you should be fine there. Lots of great options, but I prefer the JP Enterprises match barrels given the accuracy and cryogenic treatment (increasing its useful life)
4) Geiselle Trigger - great choice, but I'd step up an additional $50 and get the SSA-E (3.5lb)....cleaner, more crisp break.

I have #2 and a jp barrel that is very nice

Thanks

Buck

VoxfpIK45ZWm3QfrjIUj9HmF6uzARnpJvARXjuPHalf3nI8ZK7eNNkpk680ZsrUoR-081W86_jRlDSp24RZe1TWc26udnk2XlVHPqdb91g8lZgdFwwr0p1bd5q0QfDGwnOBhaMTbtw=w650

for what you'll pay for a factory high end ar-10 or lr308 pattern rifle, just call compass lake up and have them put together a krieger or bartlien barreled complete upper in whatever caliber you want with whatever barrel profile you want. you'll be ahead of the game. craddock precision can do the same thing. i've had 3 compass lake rifles and 1 craddock gun and you'll not be disappointed.

I build my own with incredible accuracy due to some amazing barrel companies. Aero Precision and Criterion (CBI) have been the best I've bought without going custom built barrels. AP has the best 6.5creed barrels with rifle length gas system and not the need of +2 or 3" gas system. CBI with their m118 chambered hybrids (308win) are crazy good.

I have not dealt much in the super high end AR realm, so here is the deal. I'm about to get forced to go to engineer school at the railroad where I work, it will ultimately suck but result in a reasonable pay raise. I have always been a bolt gun man, however I have recently had the itch to built or buy a very high end AR platform in either 260, 6.5 creedmore, or 308. I'm about 75% it will be a 308 with 25% wiggle room on the other two simply because I shoot 308, 300 win mag bolt guns and I have all the reloading set up , buy my bullets in bulk, blahh, blahh, you know the story. I'm not new to high end custom rifles or AR platforms. I have two scout supply built rifles on stiller actions that Russel built for me and I have had numerous AR rifles that never really shot to suit me and I now have a rock river predator pursuit upper on a rock river operator lower which I have had for a while and I really like. It is my go to coyote hunting rifle and I have killed several deer with it as well, which is what prompted me to really start looking at it as possibly the perfect hunting platform. That is what this rifle will be, a work gun, hunting rifle, gonna get used beat up packed around, taken on mule deer and possiblt elk hunts, bear hunts, numerous whitetail hunts. I have a nightforce F1 and that is most likely the scope it will wear. I'm wanting to build my future hunting companion for almost all of the hunts I plan to do in the future so accuracy is of the utmost concern. Ruggedness and reliability also are very important factors. I have a scout supply 300 win and a scout supply 338 lapua ackley imp, so all of my specialty hunting needs are covered, but you can do 90% of the hunting you are gonna do in the US with a 308 or 260.
So here is the question. What is the diference if any performance wise between , the GAP 10, JP rifles, POF, and whatever other super high end companies that are producing these rifles? Would I be better off building my own, or just buying a rock river in 308? I want reasonably light, no huge *** bull barrels, collapseable stock, possibly a PRS but probably colapseable just for weight and manuverability, 18 to 20 in. barrel, smooth slim handguards to make it easy to get in and out of my pack, eberlestock gsll. I need a great trigger, probably gonna go with a geiselle, on that one, a two stage, I really like those. SO there it is , what would yo recommend, build, buy, if you were in my shoes? I plan to post this same thread on snipershide and I put it in the longrange shooting and hunting sub forum too just to be able to compare the answers and see what the difference of opinion on equipment is between here and there.
backyardsniper; S&W makes an A-10 in 308 .Its light ,its a tac driver,just love the gun .I keep it in a scabbard on the front of my ATV couple of scratches but has never missed its mark .Check it out might be just what your looking for.