Comfortable shooting magnum caliber

Looking for a magnum caliber that is still comfortable to shoot or standard caliber with good long range energy
No wild cats please and 6.5s have no grown on me yet either
Also will be shooting factory ammo to start with
My friend the list is unlimited... buy a muzzle brake for whatever you choose and right up to .338 Papua is like shooting a .243

The poor man's magnum . . . [drum roll]
is the 270 Winchester. It sends out nice monolithic bullets in the 127-130grain range at 3100-3150fps.
Most people can adapt to the 270 recoil quickly and easily. My wife loves hers and shot her first deer at an age beyond retirement, the day that the president was declared winner of the election.

There are a lot of good choices at recoil and power levels above the 270 Winchester, but Jack O'Connor, a famous gunwriter of the last generation, pretty much made the 270 the all-comers' entry level to big game hunting at distance.

.257WBY Mag

This was my first thought for a Magnum with low recoil. .257 Weatherby Mag is like a 270 Win for recoil and a laser beam past 500 yards. It all depends on what you want to hunt. I feel comfortable hunting up to elk sized game with this caliber but if you were going to hunt moose or brown bears, this is not the MAGNUM for that.

Also-- 280AI is getting more and more factory loads. If you are interested in this caliber, it is a gem. Not quite a 7mm Rem mag but not a big step back with less recoil. Could never go wrong there.

I know that ballistics coefficient is no help if you can't achieve consistent accuracy. When shooting at long distance it's is definitely the next item on the list if good accuracy can be had with a high b.c. bullet. I have shot bullets with B.C that is a little more than half of say what a Berger hybrid or an eld is. I've shot them side by side in winds ranging from 8-14 mph. I'm taking about the likes of a 7mm 140gr, 270 130grain or a 30 cal 165 grain at speeds up to & well over 3100 fps versus a 7mm 180 gr eld, 30 cal 230 Berger, and 6.5mm 147gr all at speeds of less than 2900 fps. The difference when shooting in 8-14mph wind @ 600 yards is self explanatory once you see the results. The ladder mentioned bullets at over 200 fps slower will net you many more hits than the fore mentioned bullets if wind is a factor. So, even at just 500-600 yards, with accuracy of the rifles being equal a higher BC bullet will get you on target more often in challenging winds. Just something to think about while trying to choose a cartridge.

I have a 7mmr RM in sendero with a HOLLAND QUICK DISCHARGE BRAKE. The recoil is like a 22-250. Super incredible. I sit behind this gun and am like is this really a 7MM RM. It's one of the best all around calibers you can get. Moose bear elk deer lopes. It's up for it. Tons of factory stuff. Yes there are others too 300wm comes to mind but I am not a 30 cal guy but that dont mean squat. Various 338s too. Any of these continue to get things done and done way out there.

Best of luck

Unless Big Bears ( Brown) on menu a 7 RM is a great choice for your criteria. Low recoil, ammo available everywhere and huge gun selection choice. Ammo cost because of availability on the lower end for this capable of a cartridge also!

Oh baby!
Just you fire a couple of shots downrange and experience a whole nother dimension !
I was unimpressed as to the 6.5 Creedmoor until I fired a buddy's using 129 grain Interlock Horandy Factory hunting Ammunition. ( NOT MY FIRST CHOICE OF HUNTING BULLET).

Well I must have been struck by lightening right then and there !
Off hand mind you in a new target @100 yards was a beautiful sub MOA, 3 shot group.( actually sub 3/4" )
I picked up one of the 6.5 Creedmoor brass hulls and placed it in my safe as a reminder.
of this day.
Needless to say that the pesky brass case cloned from a shell casing that I left inside my safe overnight mind you into a full blown rifle.
Over the next 2 months it happened again and when I opened the safe low and behold , I was now the proud recipient of 2 rifles chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor.
All puns aside, please do not overlook this caliber, and give it more consideration.
Final Words
After all, so many subscribers to this wonderful web site, can't all be mistaken about this caliber and its capabilities !

Take a look at the 6.5 PRC round that Hornady came out with in 2018.

"Magnum" and "comfortable" work at cross purposes. To make a magnum comfortable requires some combination of a heavy rifle, a good recoil pad, perhaps a recoil reducer in the stock, and a brake.

You've ruled out 6.5 caliber, or I'd recommend the 6.5 PRC. Unless you want to hunt dangerous game, I'd go with a 280AI but for the fact that you want to shoot factory ammo. 7mm Remington Magnum would be my second choice. The .300 Win Mag is popular, but I don't like the sharp recoil. My favorite "magnum" is the .375 Ruger, but it's really spendy with factory ammo; not cheap even for a hand loader.

Don't shoot a rifle with a brake without ear protection, even while hunting.

If you want a magnum without a brake and your hunting deer size game 240 WTBY Mag and if you throw elk in the mix maybe step up to 257 WTBY Mag. I've killed several elk with my 257 WTBY and you can buy quality factory weatherby ammo. They are both baby dolls to shoot un-braked.

Good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.