color phase squirrels

I have a batch of black squirrels here in CO in my neighberhood. These are mutated red squirrels. There are other black squirrels called aberts (I think they are endangered, but really all squirrels I see are endangered), and some pine squirrels that are black.

Very common in Ohio, well at least in the cities. We have grey, blk, red and fox in my area.
I was hunting fall turkey by Kinzu reservoir in PA back in the 90's an shot what I thought was a Black squirrel. When I picked it up it looked like a calico cat minus the white. It was like a mix of red blk and grey. I gave to a taxidermist friend to mount for his show room.

Here in SE Michigan, about 50% of the squirrels are black. They are quite a bit smaller than the reds, but they like to fight. I would say that the average red is at least 50% bigger than the black ones and some are double the size. We stopped feeding birds and squirrels after a few too many incidents with possum and skunk on our deck. I also had coyote tracks to the basement door, that I think was connected to the other critters.

In Ohio, we had four types of squirrel. Grey, black (color phase grey), red and fox squirrel.

When I was young, I set out with my .22 and came back 20 minutes later with one of each. If I can dig up the old photo, i will post it.

Shooting a red squirrel is much like shooting a big mouse, not a whole lot there to begin with.

I am in Ontario, up until about ten years ago all you would see in the country. was red squirrels,. Now I see quite a few black and grey squirrels. They get in trouble if they try to get in my buildings old243

I have shot a few , but have never eat them. with the larger black and greys arriving . What is the best way to prepare them. Or is there a recipe section I should mention this in. old243

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.