Cleaning with patches only

For decades I used Hoppes because it was a generational thing. That's what grandpa and dad used. About 10 years ago I started using Patchout and Accellerstor with nylon brushes
Instead of bronze.
Bought a Teslong borescope(thanks guys) maybe 5 years ago and realized how much fouling really was left.
Now I clean them to remove all the copper because I am switching to Hammers,
Do they shoot any better? Maybe, but I have peace of mind the barrels won't pitt due to fouling.
Most recently, I bought the Lock-ez to coat the barrel but haven't tried it yet.

Anticipation Popcorn GIF

In my heaviest and most accurate rifle that wears a Kreiger barrel, I start with a bronze brush dipped in Hoppes No.9 for about 20 strokes down and back. Then I do a couple dry patches to get the gunk out. From there I hit it with a few patches saturated with Sweets 7.62 copper solvent and end up with a fairly clean barrel. It still averages around .4 MOA 5 shot groups which is "good enough" for me.

I shoot 600 yard F-class (.284 win) and shoot about 2500 rounds a year which is usually 2 barrels. Ruined a barrel last year by over cleaning with nylon brushes and KG bore polish. When I first got into the sport, everyone was cleaning their barrel every 300-400 rounds. Last year everyone switched to cleaning to bare metal after every 50 rounds or so. This year, lots of guys are just using copper solvent after every match, no brushes and letting the carbon cake up. I've shot my best scores this year not using any brushes (with the exception of a brush on a drill to remove the carbon ring in the chamber at the case neck) and have had very little throat erosion (.0015) after 620 rounds down the tube.

The pile of patches are from cleaning my barrel with Lasso after 300 rds since last cleaning . ( 25 Creedmoor , has 1200ish on it ) . I was getting pressure signs from my known load . I then grabbed the cordless drill and bronze 223 chamber brush and used Lasso procedure just in the " chamber area" . The black patch is the first patch through after the drill \ chamber brush method. Hopefully it cured my pressure issues. .... I don't use bronze down the barrel. Always nylon for crown purposes.

Attachments

• IMG_20230315_214636_01.jpg
    IMG_20230315_214636_01.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20230315_214709_01.jpg
    IMG_20230315_214709_01.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 35
If you don't have a borescope you should not be commenting on this thread.

No scope, no need. Carbon, the bi-product of powder ignition, is the same thing that diamonds are made from...Since my rifle isn't making me millions of $$$ I suppose the proper equipment to remove this icky will be required. Proper PM prevents PPP...

The pile of patches are from cleaning my barrel with Lasso after 300 rds since last cleaning . ( 25 Creedmoor , has 1200ish on it ) . I was getting pressure signs from my known load . I then grabbed the cordless drill and bronze 223 chamber brush and used Lasso procedure just in the " chamber area" . The black patch is the first patch through after the drill \ chamber brush method. Hopefully it cured my pressure issues. .... I don't use bronze down the barrel. Always nylon for crown purposes.
Do you mean Iosso paste?

I clean my rifles regularely.

I run several patches soaked with BoreTech Elimiator to remove the bulk of the Fouling. Then I'll run a wet patch through and let it sit for an hour or so. Dry patch and switch to wet patches of Carbon remover. Run a bronze brush with carbon remover for 10-12 strokes. Then patch out and check with Teslong. Usually, the bore is very clean. If carbon or copper is visible, then I'll patch/soak with carbon remover or copper remover.

If all else fails, Flitz or JB will always remove any residual.

Recently as I don't know which brush is which anymore, I've been cleaning with just patches. Haven't seen anything detrimental at all.

Any comments are welcome.

Just didn't want to jam a brush in there, and leave micro scratches.
We took Bronze brush to bottom of a Ruger M77 SS bull barrel. Ran it back and forth 10 times. Wiped it off and look at all the scratches. We went to patches for the most part and Nylon brushes for the tuff cleaning. I use liquid Wipeout, let sit all night and clean. Then run patch with lacquer thinner and follow with Kroil. Wait all night and clean. Sometimes after a Prairie Dog week it takes 300 patches and some brushing to get spot less.
In the field I spit on a patch and run it through battle followed by 3 dry patches and start shooting. If accuracy is failing I do a good cleaning, otherwise I shoot 300 to 700 rounds between major cleanings.
After a match at 1000 yd club no one I saw used Bronze brushes, only Nylon. I did see a lot of liquid Kroil being used.
One 80 plus year old man shot a 1.7" group avg with ,7" best at 600 yds in the Rain! Says he only cleans when the gun tells him to.