Christensen 28 Nosler (Pressure/Extractor)

They reach pressure earlier then an average bore. I know someone with this same issue. Take some time to research the issue it happens.

Please explain how this is NOT a brass issue. Nobody said it WAS the brass causing the issue. A tight chamber will cause HARD BOLT CLOSURE. The bore size has NOTHING to do with it.
The brass is the EVIDENCE that there is a problem.
Nosler brass is made by Norma, it is soft, soft brass obturates more at LOWER pressures than HARDER brass like Winchester or Lapua.

Why do "tight bore" guns require start loads?

:confused:

It's not the brasses fault it's way over pressure. I've pushed two 30 Noslers and a 28 Nosler pretty hard without this issue. I personally would stop cleaning it and make sure the chamber is dry then shoot a few shots before calling them.

They reach pressure earlier then an average bore. I know someone with this same issue. Take some time to research the issue it happens.
You're still going to have to elaborate. I've had two Ridgelines one in 30 one in 28 getting the same results as everyone else. I don't really need to research the issue when I have first hand experience not the word of someone else. I've also got a Fierce 30 with zero problems.

Did you clean before you shot the first shot ? Are you sure you're getting the chamber dry?

Yes. Have not made it to 50 rounds yet. But I used and went off of Christensen 50 round break in. I cleaned rifle first before ever shooting as described by Christensen. The. Shot 3, cleaned. Shot 3 cleaned and so on until that box was gone.

Yes. Have not made it to 50 rounds yet. But I used and went off of Christensen 50 round break in. I cleaned rifle first before ever shooting as described by Christensen. The. Shot 3, cleaned. Shot 3 cleaned and so on until that box was gone.

My guess is the cleaning solution is not being completely removed from the chamber/bore. Stop cleaning and shoot ten shots and see what happens. Barrels definitely don't need 50 shots to break in.

My guess is the cleaning solution is not being completely removed from the chamber/bore. Stop cleaning and shoot ten shots and see what happens. Barrels definitely don't need 50 shots to break in.

I wouldn't think that would be the case. Never had that issue on any of my Ultra Mags and I clean the same. My 3rd to last patch is Montana Xtreme oil and I finish with 3 dry patches. I can't imagine some residual oil would do that, but I could very well be wrong. Thanks for any advice though.

I wouldn't think that would be the case. Never had that issue on any of my Ultra Mags and I clean the same. My 3rd to last patch is Montana Xtreme oil and I finish with 3 dry patches. I can't imagine some residual oil would do that, but I could very well be wrong. Thanks for any advice though.
If you are confident you got it all then it's probably not the issue.

It's not the brasses fault it's way over pressure. I've pushed two 30 Noslers and a 28 Nosler pretty hard without this issue. I personally would stop cleaning it and make sure the chamber is dry then shoot a few shots before calling them.
Please explain to me why you think I am saying the brass is at fault. It is the RIFLE CHAMBER AT FAULT.

I never said it was the brass, the brass is the evidence. Soft brass, in a very tight chamber WILL show excessive pressure evidence at LOWER pressure. Just because your chambers are normal and your brass doesn't do this doesn't mean a thing.

I can run anything hard and cause primer pockets to open up, if you aren't/haven't blown a primer, you are NOT running anything HARD.

If you don't believe it, then I suggest you spend several hundred dollars, as I have, and purchase a Pressure Trace II, then, AND ONLY THEN will you KNOW how hard you are actually running your loads.
In strong brass like Winchester, Lapua and RWS, you WILL NOT blow a primer until about 80,000psi in a SAAMI sized chamber, you can get more with a match chamber before primers blow.
In Norma/Nosler brass, you can blow primers at 70,000psi without trying very hard.

As the OP stated, this was with FACTORY NOSLER LOADS, they are notoriously HOT.

Yet, it is STILL a rifle problem causing the excessive pressure.

Cheers.
:eek:

I bought a 280 ai for my son and had same problem with Nosler starting loads during barrel break-in. When I called, they told me the cratering was normal, because it had a beveled firing pin. Also they said the main spring was 22#. I replaced it with an 18# 700 spring and trimmed 1 coil off the ejector spring. That helped a lot, but still got cratered primers. It shoots @ 1/4 moa to 400, so the son likes it.

With the 22# firing pin spring, the bolt was very hard to open, after dry firing to set trigger pull, so that was one pressure indicator gone. Cratered primers, another gone! Heavy ejector spring smearing brass, that didn't help. It took a while to iron everything out, but I think I'll have Gre-Tan bush the FP hole and replace the firing pin.

Please explain to me why you think I am saying the brass is at fault. It is the RIFLE CHAMBER AT FAULT.

I never said it was the brass, the brass is the evidence. Soft brass, in a very tight chamber WILL show excessive pressure evidence at LOWER pressure. Just because your chambers are normal and your brass doesn't do this doesn't mean a thing.

I can run anything hard and cause primer pockets to open up, if you aren't/haven't blown a primer, you are NOT running anything HARD.

If you don't believe it, then I suggest you spend several hundred dollars, as I have, and purchase a Pressure Trace II, then, AND ONLY THEN will you KNOW how hard you are actually running your loads.
In strong brass like Winchester, Lapua and RWS, you WILL NOT blow a primer until about 80,000psi in a SAAMI sized chamber, you can get more with a match chamber before primers blow.
In Norma/Nosler brass, you can blow primers at 70,000psi without trying very hard.

As the OP stated, this was with FACTORY NOSLER LOADS, they are notoriously HOT.

Yet, it is STILL a rifle problem causing the excessive pressure.

Cheers.
:eek:

"Please explain how this is NOT a brass issue" This statement?

I agree with most of your last post. To the OP have you tried a different load? Do you have reloading equipment?

I bought a 280 ai for my son and had same problem with Nosler starting loads during barrel break-in. When I called, they told me the cratering was normal, because it had a beveled firing pin. Also they said the main spring was 22#. I replaced it with an 18# 700 spring and trimmed 1 coil off the ejector spring. That helped a lot, but still got cratered primers. It shoots @ 1/4 moa to 400, so the son likes it.

With the 22# firing pin spring, the bolt was very hard to open, after dry firing to set trigger pull, so that was one pressure indicator gone. Cratered primers, another gone! Heavy ejector spring smearing brass, that didn't help. It took a while to iron everything out, but I think I'll have Gre-Tan bush the FP hole and replace the firing pin.

All great,....but I wouldn't think I should have to do that buying one of their rifles would I? All the bugs should be worked out before leaving their shop I would hope. Thanks for info too

"Please explain how this is NOT a brass issue" This statement?

I agree with most of your last post. To the OP have you tried a different load? Do you have reloading equipment?

Yes, I reload quite a bit, and was going to start reloading for this with that Bertram brass I have, but in my five years of reloading, I guess I've never loaded a round hot enough to see that kind of pressure signs, if that's actually what it
Is, so I just stopped there and posted this thread since I was a little worried. I was gonna start with some Reloader 33 and 195 Bergers but now nervous to do anything.

The Christensen actions are far from the best actions available but what you are experiencing is not normal. They will take care of you. It sucks but they have great CS.

Yes, I reload quite a bit, and was going to start reloading for this with that Bertram brass I have, but in my five years of reloading, I guess I've never loaded a round hot enough to see that kind of pressure signs, if that's actually what it
Is, so I just stopped there and posted this thread since I was a little worried. I was gonna start with some Reloader 33 and 195 Bergers but now nervous to do anything.
I would try some known softer loads using components you have to see what happens. It has a SAAMI chamber so the 195s will be fairly deep in the case. I would not use any of the higher end loads on the net. Most of them will be in custom chambers. Either way I would call them.

Recent Posts