Cheapest hunt for a rookie

FieldTrainingOfficer

I'm looking to take my first Antelope hunt in either 2017 or 2018. What state and what area will give me the best value for my first hunt? I've been whitetail hunting for 30 years but have always wanted to hunt antelope. A recent trip to Scottsdale AZ has me wanting to hunt in a desert environment.

Any suggestions?

The Sheldon National Wildlife Refuge just west of Denio, Nevada has some nice antelope - but you've got to be willing to work hard scouting the plateaus and tracking the herds to get a good shot. No prone shooting here; brush is too tall in most places and efforts to sneak up on an unwary critter more often than not result in an education one how not to approach the target. It's definately not the place for the guy who wants to just go out and shoot an antelope. But if you enjoy the hunt as much as a good clean kill you'll love it. Take lots of water, warm clothing and remember that there isn't a gas station within a hundred miles.
gun) - - - - - (X)

I'm looking to take my first Antelope hunt in either 2017 or 2018. What state and what area will give me the best value for my first hunt? I've been whitetail hunting for 30 years but have always wanted to hunt antelope. A recent trip to Scottsdale AZ has me wanting to hunt in a desert environment.

Any suggestions?

FTO, an antelope tag in Az generally require a minimum 10+ preference points with few drawn with less and many with more. The antelope here are at a minimum of 3800' elevation and most 1K higher. There are few hunts in the true desert, but to a hunter from the east the entire state is a desert. Most from here go to Wyoming if not drawn.

.........The Sheldon National Wildlife Refuge just west of Denio, Nevada has some nice antelope.................

A good hunt, but unless you've been accumulating preference points you're unlikely to draw in 2017 or 2018.

The difficulty in antelope hunting these day is getting a tag.

Wyoming remains your best bet, but matching access to tag availability remains a must.

The easier to draw, and left over tag areas generally come with more difficult access, not impossible to overcome, but a factor.

Inexpensive is a relative term, and $$$$$$ open up landowner, and guided options.

What I would suggest is apply for a doe tag here in Wyoming, draw odds are pretty good even for your first year, and a tag is not vary expensive a buck tag will cost nor and pretty much require preference points. But if your interested, send me a p.m., I have grown up in South West Wyoming, and know lots of land owners that want them out of their alfalfa fields, and will give permission. If you can shoot 300 ish yards, this is a 100% success hunt. And even if you can't, we have killed many under 200. Just send me a message if interested.

What I would suggest is apply for a doe tag here in Wyoming, draw odds are pretty good even for your first year, and a tag is not vary expensive a buck tag will cost nor and pretty much require preference points. But if your interested, send me a p.m., I have grown up in South West Wyoming, and know lots of land owners that want them out of their alfalfa fields, and will give permission. If you can shoot 300 ish yards, this is a 100% success hunt. And even if you can't, we have killed many under 200. Just send me a message if interested.

^^^ this. I have put in for tags in Wyoming 3 years and drawn 2 of those years. I am still working on preference points for a buck tag. Lots of public land opportunities, but a GPS with hunting maps is vital to know where there is public vs. private.

FearNoWind,

I put in for several "horns-longer-than-ears" tag areas this year but a bit south and east of the Sheldon NWA.

I'm a backpacker and I may backpack into whatever area I get - IF ANY.

My antelope rifle is a 6.5 CM Ruger American Predator W/ Timney trigger. I shoot competitively with it and with my Ruger Precision Rifle (also in 6.5 CM) so I know my ballistics. Hopefully I can connect this year.

My "shooting sticks" are adjustable carbon fiber hiking sticks. I cross them just under the handles, loop the straps over each other and rest the rifle on the looped straps, not touching the handles. They work great in that "X" position.

Eric B.

There is not a better place on earth to hunt Antelope than Wyoming. The pronghorns out number the people and they have a friendly attitude toward Non-resident hunters with lots of open land and walk-in access to a great deal of private land. If I could offer a suggestion, I would recommend a decent Range finder that works out past 800 yards. With no landmarks range is hard to judge and typical shots are between 200 and 500 yards. The wind can also be an challenge with longer shots and the wind is always blowing in Wyoming. If you want to try for this year then it is a bit late but there are generally some tags available as left overs.

As a help hint I will tell you about the "cute" factor to be aware of. When glassing the animals, if they have a "cute" face then they are very young and small. If the animal has a long "horse" face they are adult and much larger.

Do your research and identify where you want to go. The state offers a low price non-resident doe/fawn permit for about $50.00 each and you can apply for 2 tags. Buck tags are about $300 each.

For your first hunt try a guided hunt, preferably using horses as a mode of transport and then using the horse as a blind to get close as possible for your kill shot.
The antelope can't count legs.

For your first hunt try a guided hunt, preferably using horses as a mode of transport and then using the horse as a blind to get close as possible for your kill shot.
The antelope can't count legs.

No way would I ever waste money on a guided hunt and the idea of using horses to hunt antelope is a new one on me and I've only missed one season out there since 1997! A DIY antelope hunt is the way to go and if you just have doe tags the main money on the trip will be gassing your vehicle.

"The pronghorns outnumber the people..."

Thanks Morrison. I call that antelope hunters' heaven. I may just try for a tag, any tag available. My 6.5 Creedmoor Ruger American Predator is aching to go after antelope ever since I put a Timney trigger and a Boyd's laminated stock on it.

The 3 - 15 x 42 SWFA scope on my RAP should be enough to do the job. It is first focal plane with mil/mil turrets and reticle and very good glass for its price.

I shoot in long range competitions with a 6.5 CM Ruger Precision Rifle so going 500 yards is only medium range for me. And the 6.5 CM cartridge is virtually a perfect antelope round with 140 gr. bullets. At 500 yards it carries more energy than a 165 gr. .308.

As mentioned, a good rangefinder is necessary and my 10 X 42 Bushnell ARC 1 Mile binoculars do very well, even giving me a hold reading in mils from the binoculars' programmed ballistic curve that matches my load. "All" I have to do is dope the wind.

Eric B.

You are set to go. I am using a 25-06 with the Burris 4 X 20 Veracity FFP and I am very happy with it. The rifle is a Custom Mauser with an Optima trigger, Shilen 26 inch #3 barrel, and I also used the Boyd laminated stock. The scope turrets will allow fine adjustments for the faster bullets but etchings are close for those quick responses. I liked it so much I put the 3 X15 Veracity on my Elk rifle. I'm using the Bushnell G13 Range finder that is doped for 3100 fps and find that it is very close to the range etchings on the glass. The wind is best at the back of your head or directly in your face, sometimes it can really blow...

Check the Wyoming DNR website for big game antelope hunting. It has a lot of information on how to apply for tags in Wyoming. Review the section on Hunter Management Areas where landowners have worked with the Wyoming DNR to setup hunting areas. This has help promote getting people access to areas and get their foot in the door for big game hunting in Wyoming as a DIY.

The Wyoming DNR administers the permission process in lieu of the landowners but it helps to also stop by and talk with landowners.

The tags are issued on a drawing basis that requires you to have your application in by May 30. The left over tags are also going to be given out on a drawing basis in July, but they are typical for hard to obtain permission areas. This will be a first for the drawing for leftover tags this year versus a first come first sell they have done in the past.

My neighbors and I have been coming from Iowa since 2010 and have a lot a success and fun hunting in Wyoming.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.