Chasing a 28 Nosler tail?

pick one, one bullet and work with it. See if your scope is honest and or if your mounting system is good to go.

Zero reason to much with more than one bullet.

pick one, one bullet and work with it. See if your scope is honest and or if your mounting system is good to go.

Zero reason to much with more than one bullet.
Agreed. I am hopeful that it turns out to be over-torque on the scope or something simple. If the 195's continue to misbehave, the 180's may be more suited for the barrel twist. I have plenty of both but wanted the 195's to work with the big cartridge. Not sure where I'll shoot the other 900 of them if they do not!

I'm sure you'll sort it out, step back for a bit then get back after it.

I've been using a 7 Mashburn Super for 3 decades, a wildcat from the 60's. Pretty much a much earlier 28 Noz.

Love the Big 7's, nothing one can't do with one of them!

Personally I use the 150 NBT a ton, as well the 150 Scenar.

Side note, I've often times found if I back off 100 fps from what I feel is top end things get a lot less squirley but that's just my experience

Thanks for the replies.
I bounced this off my gunsmith as well and he explained that the use of uncle mikes thread lock actually acts as a lubricant and can lead to over torque on ring screws. With a bit of research, it sounds like this is well known, but I'd always followed the system from another old school gunsmith that taught me to mount optics many years ago. I'm going to remount the scope (without thread lock). If that doesn't do it, I'll try some 180 hybrids.
I'd also check the bolts that attach the action to the stock.

My 28 N has a Krieger #5 26" barrel with 8.4 twist. It shoots the 195 very well, as well as the 180 VLD-H and the 169 Hammer Hunter. So that twist rate is capable of handling the 195s in that barrel. I am a firm believer that each barrel is different in the way it handles heavy for caliber/long high BC bullets.

I have a 10 twist 270 that shoots the old round nose 150 gr Winchester ammo (I was using a couple old boxes to break in the barrel. Talk about surprised) into better than 1/2", but won't group 150 gr ABLRs at all.

As far as the great variance in the POI of different bullets. It is my experience that each bullet and especially from different manufacturers, will shoot as much as 5" at 100 yds different POI from the same weight and powder charge, just different manufacturer. Its a wonder that the 195 even hit the paper with a scope sighted in for 150 gr.
Good luck and hope you find the issue.

One more point about the "loose" stuff on the rifle. I didn't notice that you said the action/recoil lug was bedded to the stock. Depending on fit (or lack thereof), that could be a major issue on consistency.

Last edited:
My 28 N has a Krieger #5 26" barrel with 8.4 twist. It shoots the 195 very well, as well as the 180 VLD-H and the 169 Hammer Hunter. So that twist rate is capable of handling the 195s in that barrel. I am a firm believer that each barrel is different in the way it handles heavy for caliber/long high BC bullets.

I have a 10 twist 270 that shoots the old round nose 150 gr Winchester ammo (I was using a couple old boxes to break in the barrel. Talk about surprised) into better than 1/2", but won't group 150 gr ABLRs at all.

As far as the great variance in the POI of different bullets. It is my experience that each bullet and especially from different manufacturers, will shoot as much as 5" at 100 yds different POI from the same weight and powder charge, just different manufacturer. Its a wonder that the 195 even hit the paper with a scope sighted in for 150 gr.
Good luck and hope you find the issue.

One more point about the "loose" stuff on the rifle. I didn't notice that you said the action/recoil lug was bedded to the stock. Depending on fit (or lack thereof), that could be a major issue on consistency.
Yep, the 195's didn't come close to the target at 418. Hit about a foot or so under it.

Just finished re-torquing everything (including action and brake, as suggested). She's about to get a good cleaning.

Recent Posts