CED M2 Chronograph Review By Bryan Chatwell

One item on the CED M2 with IR option & battery. Make sure the battery for the IR screens is fully charged before going to the range. As the battery gets tired one screen will get tired first and go off line. I had over 5500 groups of 100 rounds (max of memory) because the the computer went into run away. Once I charged for 8 hours (max charge) all was wonderful again. Their Tech support is fast and very helpful.

Very good info here on the CED. I have the older model CED and I had some problems today at the range. My unit would not register my 223 shots. I am thinking the screens where too close about 7 feet away. I the let a guy next to me fire his 243 pistol through it and it registered fine. I think my problem is muzzle blast for the most part so I will try again next week. I had not used my CED for at least six years.but I found my old records with 223 shot readings. Just can not remember my setup.

My Shooting Chrony was the worst in that regard. I would get widely varying readings of up to 100-200 FPS which were probably not attributable to ammo. I wonder if the older, discontinued Oehlers had problems too?

30-338

No such problems with the old Oehler Model 33. I'm still using one and its very reliable and consistent.

Thanks Len for your reply. One other question do you think the inferred kit will work with the first generation CED M1?

I took my M2 to the range today. I have the IR kit and I believe the battery was fully charged. The first few shots I had it too close and noticed some shaking in the screens and no readings. I moved it out and we got good readings with a 30/06 and a 270 WSM, no brakes on either rifle. I then switched to a 300 RUM with a brake and started getting error 1 or 0 all the time. I reseated all the connections and no luck I then went back to the rifles with no brake and it still would not read. I ended up driving an hour each way to get 10 shots through and wasted another 20 trying to get it to read. I can't get one screen to consistantly fail and it didn't seem to be a cable problem.

Very frustrated, this thing worked on a few outings but certainly not enough use for it to break down!

Went to the range today with my CED M1 and a new IR screen set with the battery pack. All problems solved. Every shot was read and it was very cloudy. Read the .223 40gr. bt very well.:)

Bought one of these CED M2 chronographs three weeks ago and have had no problems with mine. Just make sure you use a new battery every time you set it up.
When I first set it up I did experience some extremely high readings because the unit too close to my big booming 30-378 & 338-378 Weatherby Accumarks.
It actually recorded speeds of 3900+ fps for both which we all know is impossible.
I moved the unit further away to the maximum length of the cables and was back to sensible velocities.
My previous chronograph was a Chrony which although it "served me well" it did however tell quite a few lies.
The accuracy of both of my rifles is excellent but the recorded E.S. on the Chrony was far too high for those E.S. readings to be true.
The Chrony also recorded speeds which were at least 100 to 125 fps higher than those recorded in reloading manuals.
Also throughout the morning the Chrony recorded erratic speeds for my 338-378 pushing the 300SMK pill from an average of 2830 fps to 2850 fps and then up to 2890fps with E.S. varying from 72fps to 125 fps.
The CED M2 recorded speeds that were more realistic and reflected what the reloading manuals stated.
I neck anneal all my cases after each shot, weigh and batch my cases, trim them to length and load carefully weighed charges of powder which are first thrown and weighed through my RCBS Chargemaster and then a second check is performed on my beam scales.
The CED M2 chronograph now records my E.S. for my 30-378 at 7 fps and for the 338-378 it is 12 fps.
The 30-378 delivers 3 shot groups of under 1/4" and the 338-378 is good for 1/4" to 3/8".
For accuracy and consistency I can certainly recommend the CED M2 chronograph.

I purchaed one of these & have had nothing but trouble with it. It continually gives "error code" I called the manufacturer, they sent me a new sensor, same thing. I have moved it to the end of the cables & shot several rifles through it, still error codes. New batteries, IT seems to do better on overcast days then sunny.

The manufacturer sent me 2 magaizines with articles on how to set it up. His best suggestion was to build a chrono box. I have been using off bi-pod. A chrono box is a long square box that would house of have the unit inside with triangle holes on each end. Then an indcadescent light inside. Not very feasible, no electricity for light, have to have a table to set the box on, etc.

I though one was supposed to be able to shoot through these while developing accurate reloads & best grouping. The manufacure told me it was more for just measuring speeds.

I have not been impressed at all & thoughts or help on set up would be appreciated.

I purchaed one of these & have had nothing but trouble with it. It continually gives "error code" I called the manufacturer, they sent me a new sensor, same thing. I have moved it to the end of the cables & shot several rifles through it, still error codes. New batteries, IT seems to do better on overcast days then sunny.

I have not been impressed at all & thoughts or help on set up would be appreciated.

Without implying anything or sounding rude but I was just wondering if you may have possibly inserted the two screen input cables the wrong way about into the display unit.
Once again.....no offence meant here as I am just trying to help out here.

Siggy
I have the CED M! and it to would give me errors when testing my 223 Rem 700. I had not shoot in over six years until just a couple months ago. My M! would not register unless a bigger caliber round was fired thru it. After realizing that lack of sunshine was my problem I bought the infarred kit and that was all it took . Now everything is fine. I hope you get things worked out soon.

Still, there's something wrong with the chronograph - IF the Infrared light kit is required in order to get it to work. That would be my opinion. Otherwise CED better start notifying consumers that they'll need to purchase the infrared light kit at the time of the initial purchase.

I have had problems with every chronograph I have used now. Including CED, and the company basically will admit eventually, that if it is not perfectly sunny and sun directly overhead not even at a great angle, the IR screens are needed, on a cloudy or overcast day, they do not expect their chronograph to work...

I bought a CED M2 about 3 years ago, and used it occasionally-- and had frequent error codes (missed first sensor or second sensor etc.) I did some reading and bought a new heavy bi-pod and all the errors disappeared. I had originally used a light plastic Silk bi-pod, and got rid of that and bought a used heavy (8 lbs) camera bi-pod-- and now the M2 works great.
If anyone is having trouble with errors, make sure you have a stable base for the sensors-- a heavy bi-pod works for me.

--Just my 2 cents- hope this helps.
Bob