Canned Coyote

Nimrodmar10

Took this big male late yesterday. He came to the FoxPro Fusion playing Baby Cottontail.

The rifle is a 5.56mm, Ruger American Ranch Rifle with the 1 in 8" twist, 16" threaded barrel. I bought it to use the Gemtech Titanium direct thread suppressor. This was a very accurate rifle, it shot .75" groups right out of the box with the loads I developed for another rifle. Not bad for a rifle that cost less than $400.

I'm shooting the Sierra 69 gr. Matchking. I had hoped this bullet would be fur friendly, but so far it hasn't been. Exit wounds are running in the 4"-5" area. This tough old boy took one in the chest at 50 yards. The bullet exited behind the ribs then passed through a rear thigh. He still ran 100 yards before running out of gas. I may try something in the 40-45 grain range next, hoping for no exit wound.

The Gemtech does it's job well, turning the supersonic loads into 22 L.R. level cracks that don't require hearing protection. I've loaded some subsonic loads with the same bullet that are very quiet, but have the trajectory of a 9mm pistol bullet, but are very accurate. I haven't tried them on coyotes yet, but hope to soon. I expect the long bullet to tumble when it hits and be pretty lethal. We'll see, and I'll let you know.

Attachments

• IMG_20151220_091507.jpg
    IMG_20151220_091507.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 77
Nice job. I love hunting with a suppressor on my 223. I shot both of these dogs with my stevens model 200 and a gemtech can. I load a 50 grain z-max with 26 grains of Ramshot TAC powder. super accurate and lethal on yotes.

Attachments

• IMG_0171.jpg
    IMG_0171.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0220.jpg
    IMG_0220.jpg
    384.1 KB · Views: 72
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.