Callers....what are you using?

codybrown

I'm looking to get into coyote hunting, and I was wondering what everyone was using for callers. I've found a ton of options anywhere from $75-$600. Obviously they aren't all built to the same quality, nor do they have the same options. What's the best bang for the buck, also being a good quality caller?

I don't know about the best buy for the buck, but I've been using a foxpro spitfire for a few years and it's been exceptional! I use a free program called audacity, download a bunch of sounds from the net, and the create strings to be used... So that I just send one track to the unit, but it has an entire stand sequence already in that one file. I fire it up... And wait for the mutts to come in. Generally, my best string is cottontail, silence, jack rabbit, silence, lightning jack, silence, yote locator+challenge, silence, pup distress, silence, lightening jack2... End. I name them by how long they are. The one I just mentioned is 16 minutes. The I have a 21 minute, 22 minute, and a 45 minute for cats.

I generally keep track of which strings I used last at a stand, and then use a different string on subsequent visits to that stand. I'm pleased with the unit... Just wish it was 100% waterproof. Great for the money though.

+1 for the Foxpros callers, used them for some time with excellent results.

Only one I've found that'll top it is the Wildlifetech Gen6 Model MA-21. It's a bit pricey but, hands down the best sound you will ever find. Huge battery pack that lasts forever and the remote works great from quite a distance w/o issue, it's quite a bit louder than the foxpro at max volume and crystal clear.

Don't know what is best, but know what I am using. Original Foxpro CS-24 that was Dad's before he passed away. He had it on the tripod, but I jury rigged a Foxjack decoy onto it. Simple, tough, good sound and volume. IMO, can't beat it for getting the job done, but is kind of pricey. Then again, it has been going 7-8 years without a hiccup.

Honestly my best advice would be buy a high end mouth call. I have the foxpro furry and the spitfire. Both work very well, but if you hunt pressured areas or coyotes that have been shot at over the noise before you may run into trouble. I always carry a mouth call. You make your own noise that they haven't heard before. I found mouth calling to be great later in the year just because they have heard it all before "I assume" learn how to mouth call first then you will be a better e caller based on what you have experienced. And what I do alot is mouth call with my e caller turned on so if I decide they don't like what they hear, you don't have to get up during a stand to change anything

I'm using the FoxPro Shockwave. the TX1000 remote is awesome. It now comes with the Fusion as well. But, if the SW is out of the price range, I have a couple of FoxPro Firestorms on closeout that are a great value. FOXPRO Firestorm - DISCONTINUED And, one Firestorm demo unit that has only been in the field four or five times. It comes with some extra sounds as well. FOXPRO Firestorm - DISCONTINUED The other caller that is worth looking at is the Primos Alpha Dogg. It isn't quite the quality of FoxPro but it has some nice features for the price point. They are on special also. Primos Alpha Dogg

Good luck with whatever you choose and take a handcall along anyway. Sooner or later, your batteries will fail part way through a stand. lightbulb

Foxpro, WT, primos....all really will bring in coyotes. It's easy stuff to overthink. After you have a few hundred coyotes under your belt, your learn that location of set up, and how you enter the stand area are most important. If you scout a bit prior and do some locating, when you go out to call, you'll know right where to go. Scouting and locating always pays off.

Calibers....aah...many to choose from. Many, many, great rounds and wildcats out now. From the .17 up to a 6.5x284 for long ranging. Most coyotes will be under 300, and most of those will give you opportunities under 200 and most of those will be at 100 or less. Haha. My calling caliber right now is a 6mm remington. 204 is the funnest calling round I've used and i think is a great calling round. Using 32's sighted in at 200-250 depending on velocity, you don't have to think out to 300. Just aim and shoot. 243, 22-250, 223, etc. all work among others.

Tt35 is right about batteries. I always unhook my pack from the caller. If I have the horn next to me I will turn it off while on the stand in between call sequences. If I set it out 30 yards, obviously I can't turn it on and off. Pretty anal, but batteries are expensive and I've never been overly impressed with the rechargeables. Bring them in the house too, the cold is hard on em.

That's my 2 cents.

Oh, sorry sir, I thought you said good quality caliber there in the end, not good quality caller.....

Shows what's on my mind, must be time to buy another rifle.

I've got a Primos Alpha dogg and love it. I went that route because it was cheaper and came with more calls than the same quality Foxpros at the time. I got it the 1st year they were out so that might not still be the same. I've got two buddies with higher end Foxpros and there is nothing wrong with them but when we go together we always use mine, unless calling coons because the FoxPro coon sounds are a lot better. The Primos caller is almost dummy proof, much more simple to operate and just a real user friendly format... The FoxPro remotes confuse the crap out of me after using the Alpha dogg. Night and day difference in usability with little to no experience, don't get me wrong a FoxPro might have better options and be easy to use after a lot of experience but its nowhere near as easy for a new user.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.