Cabelas Intrepid 30mm HD by Vortex?

Boman

Has anyone checked these out yet? I got to see one in store and they look and feel pretty nice. I like the lower turrets. I love the mag range 4.5-22x50. 30mm tube. Sfp. The only thing missing is a zero stop from what I can tell. Just wondering what others are thinking.

Seems like you'd be paying a LOT for that Cabela's label to be on the side. The Vortex HS-T 6-24x50 with zero stop and the exact same reticle (and I would bet same glass) as the Intrepid for only $639 retail price, also from Cabela's. Compare to $799 for the Intrepid. About the only difference as far as I can see is the turret height. And the magnification, of course.

Good point and I wondered the same thing but to my eyes the glass looked better than the Viper series. Not quite razor but it looked close. Now this was inside the store so not really a fair comparison.

These were recently on sale for $599 and I had a coupon for $75 off, so I took a chance and ordered one. I was pleasantly surprised when I got it and looked at the bottom and saw it was "Made in Japan". They advertise this scope as having HD glass and optically when I compared it to my Razor HD LH 3-15x I saw no difference. I really like the low profile turrets, I wouldn't say the clicks are mushy but they are on the soft side (as in not audibly that loud if that makes sense). I'm not a great gear reviewer but for anyone who loves their Razor HD LH and wants more magnification I would definitely check out the Intrepid.

I looked at one a couple of weeks ago and the glass was bright really clear pretty much throughout the mag power range. Embark is correct that the MOA adjustment is 53 (verified in store by a call to Vortex) which was the reason I passed on the scope. If it wasn't going on a long range target rifle, it would have been tempting.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.