OR THE KENETREK MOUNTAIN EXTREME 400

I'll be hunting colorado 2nd rifle
10,000/11,000 ft. Snow likely.
Hiking 2-12 miles a day

Witch one would you get
and why?

Thanks for any input.
223dude

I have some Kenetrek boots and all I can say is I like 'em! Used to be a HUGE Danner fan but i must say I think these are every bit as good if not better.
Thats my vote.

The Sheep Hunter and the Kenetrek Mountain Extreme are very similar boots. The hardware is even the same. I've had both and couldn't tell you if one is better than the other. The Kenetreks are available uninsulated, and with 400g or 1000g of insulation. The Sheep Hunter is only available with 200g. I currently have the Kenetreks with 400g of insulation. I don't know if they still do but they (Kenetrek) did have a discount for guides and outfitters. They are both great boots. Whichever boot you get, if you expect much snow get a good pair of gaiters.

You cannot go wrong with either choice. I am partial to the Kenetrek, but both are excellent boots in the $300+ range. Meindl also makes a great pair of boots that can be had in the low to mid $200's. Not quite as good, but still a great value for the $$$$$ invested.

I own a pair of Mt Extreams NI and have hunted in the snow at -12

After 4 years and having them resoled with their second soles I can honestly say they are the best boot I have ever worn.

Hunting in steep rocky country of Nevada for Chukar...................they are a life saver. They are the most improtant piece of my hunting equipment , even over my shotgun.................maybe not my dog!

I have both the Kenetrek Mountain Extreme and the Lowa Sheep Hunter. Both are excellent boots. I have feet that are tough to fit. The heel pocket on the Lowas happens to fit me better than the Kenetreks. Danners fit me the best and are my go-to boot for normal hunting, but the sole is too soft and plaible for packing heavy loads on uneven terrain. I use the Lowas on my backpacking adventures.

I went elk hunting in CO a couple years ago. My brother-in-law and I wore our well-worn, insulated deer hunting boots while my buddy dropped the $300+ on a pair of Kenetrek MI 400's. Good friend that I am, I chided him non-stop prior to our trip on dumping so much money on a pair of boots. And the results?

My brother-in-law had to go to the dr when we got back home...I've never seen a foot so raw, and he wasn't back to normal for a couple weeks.

I had blisters in just about every place imaginable but thanks to mole skin and duct tape I was able to keep hunting.

My buddy with the Kenetreks, who did not spend any significant "break-in" time in his boots prior to the trip, had exacty ZERO blisters and nothing but great things to say about his expensive boots. I think he follows this forum some, so he may chime in with his own commentary.

And so, both my brother in law and I are now the proud owners of Kenetrek MI 400's...ready and waiting for the next elk trip. The one thing about them is to me, they feel a bit like walking in ski boots. But that may be why they work so well.

I have a pair of Kenetrek Mountain Extremes...love them..I put 100 miles every hunting season on boots in the highcountry...Out of the box the most comfortable there is...Now CRISPI USA is definately where it is.....Amazing boot!!! alot like the Kennetrek but is actual GORETEX,, Kennetreks arent...heard from a few of my buddies they bought new Kenetreks and they leaked... they fit the same but are lighter....a little more money but worth it....Got about 30 miles on mine...Crispi Hunter boots 11inch tops.....gun)

Just my opinion but, I think it is hard to recommend one of the better boots (like Lowa, Kenetrek, Crispi, Meindl) over the other. I'd bet that most of the boots in this price/quality range are solid, performing boots. Personally, I think it comes down to fit and comfort, based on the shape and size of one's foot. Kenetrek just happened to fit my long narrow foot really well and, right out to the box, they were comfortable. But you may not have the same result. You just have to try the different brands and find the one that fits the best.

The Asolo Granite 5 mountaineer boot is a top boot also,I have 3 pair that span about 20 years,pulley lacing system

I don't know that I would change from boots that I like just because one has Gore-tex and another does not. I have two pairs of boots with Gore-tex and both take on moisture; one worse than the other. I don't know much about Windtex that is used by Kenetrek but if it shields moisture at least as good as the boots I have, they will serve my purpose. I can't imagine that Kenetrek would continue to use a waterproof material that doesn't work considering the price of the boot.

I believe I've read every boot related thread on this site and others and both my hunting partner's personal opinions. One has the Kenetrek's, the other has the Danner's.

Herein lies the rub with me and my unbiased opinion and what I wound up finally doing....

The rub is, I don't want to buy any piece of clothing, especially purpose built footwear over the Internet, no exceptions. It has to be a personal, try it on, fitment. I know you can return them if they don't fit (as most of the Internet sales outlets state) but thats very inconvenient and time intensive.....

I need to 'smell the roses' prior to credit card presentment.....

Kenetrek has no dealers anywhere around here. My hunting partner just happened to buy his in Boise, Idaho at a Kenetrek dealer. He actually stopped by their business address (Kenetrek) to find out they didn't offer any sales at that location, I don't have that option.

My other issue is country of origin. Of course I prefer American made in purpose built boots, with European manufacture coming in second and dead last is the Pacific Rim sweatshop stuff/Vietnamn. I also prefer a boot that is rebuildable, has good foot beds supplied with and preferably, a short break in regimen.

I looked at everything available at Bass Pro, Gander Mountain, Dicks and Cabelas, all accessible to me store wise. I wandered all the stores and more than once, I was probably ID'd as a potential shop lifter because I was seriously handling the merchandise.....

I found it interesting that all the retailers stock limited stock in high end boots, with most being of questionable manufacture, even in the brand names. Danner and Meindl as well as Wolverine and Red Head all have their Chinese/Viernamnese factories turning and churning out hunting boots for the masses...but not for me. Like a Chinese optic, I don't want one, or a pair.... I want the real McCoy... and you have to look carefully and check the pricing. As a rule, the chi-com knockoffs branded in the major player's brands are a bit cheaper, in other words, you get what you pay for.....

I finally settled on Meindl at Cabelas, German made Meindl They also had domestic Danner's but the Danner's required an extensive breaking in and I'm a wimp with a set of tender feet.....:D

The Meindl (perfekt 10's) need little breaking in, fit like a glove and most importantly, I tried them on prior to the purchase. Actually states on the box, 'Made in germany'...how refreshing. Sort of the Schmidt and Bender of the boot world........:)

In Cabelas defense, I walked in (today) an immediately told the salesperson I was going to be a PITA and what I wanted and what for and all my predetermined prerequisites and to his credit, he understood perfectly and provided me with an excellent fitment in they type of boot I wanted. Make no mistake, price wasn't part of the equation.

I'd love to have a pair of Kennetreks (and probably will at some point, so long as I can fit them on, on a personal basis, somewhere) or Danner Hawks (which my other hunting partner has in addition to the Kennetreks) or Danner Alaska's but they aren't physically available to me, ar least not to fit on an actual basis.

Besides, the Meindl boots are pretty **** comfortable.

Finally, the Kenetreks aren't made in this country either (like the Ebrelestock packs BTW). Kenetrecks are made in Italy. Not that Italian's don't make good things, well, most are good. The Fiat 500 is an exception..... The backpacks are made in, well, take a guess.....:rolleyes:

Or, you can find companies on the Internet that have liberal return policies and try several brands and return the one(s) that don't meet your expectations. Sierra Trading Post carries most of the better brands that are hard to find in the big box stores. They also have an express return service which gives partial credit for the return. I was fortunate and the Kenetrec's I ordered fit perfectly and got them for 35% off the normal retail price.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.