Bulletin for 6.5x284 Norma for Elk

Shot a white tail with a 147 eld @ 465yds, mv of 2940. It done the trick but I would want to make sure it was a perfect broadside shot on an elk & definitely not a quartering shot. Maybe different with the Berger, IDK. Haven't shot Berger's in the 6.5.

People that say burger bullets fragment and don't penetrate enough look what a burger 140 VLD hunting does to a piece of three-quarter inch mild steel at 500 yards
92CAB93B-6CE7-40A7-978C-59B959E72C96.jpeg

My 6.5 PRC with a 140 berger at 3020 fps punched through a 5/8" steel plate at 625 yards. It was a fifth wheel plate out of the back of an old truck. The ball welded on makes a good aiming point!

In a 6.5 SAUM I have had great results with both Berger 140 VLD, and Nosler 142 LRAB. Both loads at 3015,and 1/4 minute groups to 900yds. I lean toward the Nosler 142 LRAB as my favorite on game performance and would not hesitate to shoot an Elk at the 600 yds you mention with either. My experience is on over twenty animals killed from 40 yds to 855 yds, MTN Caribou, Dall sheep, Auodad, Elk, Black Bears, Antelope, & Deer all stone dead, about 50-50 with each bullet

Taking my 6.5x284 Elk hunting this year and was wondering if and what people are using for bullet? Hoping to shoot less than 600 yards. And maybe as close 100. Has a Bartlein 1-8 R twist barrel
My son has shot both the Berger 140 hunting bullet as well the eldx 143. Both bullets performed well. My son likes his 6.5/284 a lot. So far he has been one shot one kill presently. When we were going elk hunting I wondered where our limits should be on elk, so I know some guys that used this caliber extensively for elk and they said that the line should be drawn at approximately 900 yds. I can tell you that the gun is very accurate and well placed shots is not a problem from watching him shoot it off a bipod at ranges beyond 1000yds. Yeah barrel life is a concern but not for him when he said that the gun gets zeroed in and has only been shooting one shot so far per animal. He runs retumbo powder with good brass and I personally have seen his velocity over 3100. But he dropped down into the 3040fps area.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.