Bullet for 7wsm for deer hunting.

shootallday

In looking for some different bullets to try out in my 7wsm, it's a Browning A-bolt ii. Just a synthetic stalker with the 23" barrel. Not really looking to shoot deer or possible black bear past 500 yards, maybe some steel longer out of If find somewhere I can do so.

My mag max col is about 2.860 from what I remember, I want to use this gun for the days were I know I'll be sitting over a field or were there's a chance of a shot over 400 yards. I have decided to use this over the 6.5 prc m18 I have, I think the 7wsm will shoot a little flatter and have more energy.

I'm thinking a bonded maybe the way to go, I'm still not set on monos. I like a bullet that exits the animal.

So any suggestions will be appreciated, oh I have some 168 Ablr but think there just to long or if they would even stabilize.

Thanks.

My 7mm WSM LOVES the 160-gr Accubond (not the LR) load from Federal. 3,100+ fps and I can easily shoot it under 1" at 100 yds (I shot just over 3/4" at 200 yards on Friday). This is a factory Model 70 with a 24" barrel - nothing fancy. I can only imagine what good hand loads would be capable of.

My 7mm WSM LOVES the 160-gr Accubond (not the LR) load from Federal. 3,100+ fps and I can easily shoot it under 1" at 100 yds (I shot just over 3/4" at 200 yards on Friday). This is a factory Model 70 with a 24" barrel - nothing fancy. I can only imagine what good hand loads would be capable of.
Thanks for the reply, I was thinking the 160 ab or the 150 ablr think that's the weight, plus sps has some noslers cheap. Seems anything I feed my A-bolt shoots good, if it's the rifle or the wsm I don't know, but I've had 3 7wsm a 270 and 300wsm and all shot great.

But thanks the 160ab is on the list.

What's your twist rate? Wondering why you don't think the 168 ABLR won't stabilize. I've Had good luck with that bullet.
I can't remember the twist, I'll have to check believe it's 1-9 1/4 or so. Hurd the ablr need more twist cuz there long. Plus they are way deep in the case at mag length.

For sub 400 yds, I would look at the Hammer bullets personally, the 143 Hammer would zip right along and do a number to a bear. It's a mono, but it is much better than the barnes or many other monos. They are expensive, but if you don't shoot the gun high volume it's alright. They are very easy to load for and shoot very well with my experience. Plus Steve is a fantastic resource if you have questions about loading his bullets. Check out the hammer bullet thread for terminal performance details.

Other than that, the speer grand slams or nosler partitions would be a good option too. For 400 and in, bc doesn't matter all that much.

If set on bonded bonded, The Nosler 160 AB is tough to beat. Swift Scirocco would be another great choice. And as Cody suggested, if your open to trying a mono, the Hammers are a good choice.

In looking for some different bullets to try out in my 7wsm, it's a Browning A-bolt ii. Just a synthetic stalker with the 23" barrel. Not really looking to shoot deer or possible black bear past 500 yards, maybe some steel longer out of If find somewhere I can do so.

My mag max col is about 2.860 from what I remember, I want to use this gun for the days were I know I'll be sitting over a field or were there's a chance of a shot over 400 yards. I have decided to use this over the 6.5 prc m18 I have, I think the 7wsm will shoot a little flatter and have more energy.

I'm thinking a bonded maybe the way to go, I'm still not set on monos. I like a bullet that exits the animal.

So any suggestions will be appreciated, oh I have some 168 Ablr but think there just to long or if they would even stabilize.

Thanks.
the 160 grain accubond works great. I've used hand loads and federal factory on elk, accurate and deadly

My load LR load is a 180 ELDm with rl23. 3,020 FPS. If I am down tracking an animal I pop out the 180 eldm and top it off with 175 Partitions. Between the two rounds I have the very best exterior ballistics and a load that will shoot through deer long ways in tight brush.

The 7WSM has the best combination of exterior ballistics and terminal ballistics when loaded with VLD type bullets. If you're in something thick you can shoot big long heavy constructed bullets and punch vitals even on the worst angles. IMO there is absolutely nothing a 7wsm doesn't do well. The best short action magnum by far IMO

One of my 7WSM I shoot the 160 Sierra GameKing. Shoots very well out to 500 and works well on deer size game.

I like the performance of my Win Model 70 loaded with Barnes TTSX 140 Grains sitting on top of IMR 4350. I'm not much for any shot over 200 yards, but that's just a personal practice. YMMV.

Thanks.
150 barnes ttsx then use that or nosler partition 160 for bears