Browning Xbolt Hells Canyon

Wachsmann

Just looking over some prospects for a new rifle. First off I want to get a 280AI. With that said I have only seen (looking on
commercial gun makers websites) Browning and Savage chambering the 280AI. One thing I noticed is Browning has stepped up there game getting more with the times of faster twist rate barrels. I never owned a browning before. I had a few friends with them and they seem to be fine rifles. I'm looking at the Hells canyon long range x bolt. A fall back would be a savage but I'm likening what I'm seeing with the browning. Does anyone have any experience with these rifles in terms of accuracy, if reloading is the mag long enough to load longer bullets without pushing them into the case, is the trigger crisp, do they feed good and smooth, would they compare to a Remington Sendero better or on par or worse???? I have not been to a store yet to check one out.

I can't speak to the accuracy, as I've personally never shot one. Although people seem to like them.

I think the only real downside to the browning is lack of aftermarket support. If you are like me, and enjoy tinkering on your guns, you will be better off going with the savage or a remington.

I bought one in 28 Nosler and love it. It shot fairly well with factory ammo and with CE MTH bullets out of Peterson brass with H1000 and sub 1/2 MOA at 500. I know it's not long range exactly, but its what I have to work with for a range presently. I own the hells canyon, an A-bolt II, and an X-bolt. All of them have been 1/2 MOA or better with handloads. The issue I ran into is finding a smith that can do anything other than swap a barrel.

I shot this group from a Browning Long Range HC McMillan rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor. The rifle is unmodified except for the replacement trigger.

6.5 & 142 SMK.jpg

I had one in 6.5 Creedmoor. Easily under 1" groups with factory ammo and any handload I tried. I sold it and the new owner was posting he was getting better than 1/2" groups. He's probably a better shooter than I am. :)

The long action magazine is about 3.6"

I also had one in 28 Nosler. Max Long Range model. It shot factory Hornday under an inch. Maybe a little heavy for my needs.

My experience:
My action was smooth
Fit an finish above average for price point
Trigger brakes nice but very heavy. Probably 3.5-4.5+ Lbs is the lightest you should expect to turn it down from the factory. You can get a new trigger spring for a few bucks and get it at or under 3ish lbs pull, maybe a little better. A full Timney trigger upgrade is available (but way more than a few bucks).

The 280AI is a sweet new offering and 1:8 twist makes it even better. I plan on getting one but I haven't seen one actually available yet. I believe its a just announced 2021 model. I placed a backorder on Petersons 280AI brass as soon as I saw the 280AI posted on here as being an option a few days ago. Found an 8lb keg of 6.5 StaBALL this week online. Looks promising on the Hodgdon website. My new 2020/2021 rule is buy the components first and then the gun. Smarter people have suggested that for awhile but I finally started listening.

I made it to sportsman's today and was able to look at the hells canyon model. Its a nice rifle, not extremely heavy and I like the ideal that the muzzle brakes can come off and you can install you own of choice. I prefer a side ported break over the pepper pot. Trigger is a little stiff but everything else was nice. I think with the barrel profile and non magnum choice the gun would be a pretty nice rig. Almost all of the one on the rack were 6.5PRC and 6.5 creed. The guy that was helping me out told me it might be best to order one and then come in and do the FFL paper work since he has not seen that caliber in there store. Also the ammo shelf was bare except for some odd and ends calibers. Well I did see some 180 300 WSM. 2 boxes. They had moved other items into the ammo shelves also. There was no powder out at all and very little brass to speak of. No primers either.

I made it to sportsman's today and was able to look at the hells canyon model. Its a nice rifle, not extremely heavy and I like the ideal that the muzzle brakes can come off and you can install you own of choice. I prefer a side ported break over the pepper pot. Trigger is a little stiff but everything else was nice. I think with the barrel profile and non magnum choice the gun would be a pretty nice rig. Almost all of the one on the rack were 6.5PRC and 6.5 creed. The guy that was helping me out told me it might be best to order one and then come in and do the FFL paper work since he has not seen that caliber in there store. Also the ammo shelf was bare except for some odd and ends calibers. Well I did see some 180 300 WSM. 2 boxes. They had moved other items into the ammo shelves also. There was no powder out at all and very little brass to speak of. No primers either.
Sounds like you could have been at the Meridian and/or Nampa Sportsmans Warehouse? Boise Cabela's is bare as well.

Here's the trigger spring mentioned earlier:

It makes a big difference. The next step up is a $175.00 Timney trigger, so the spring is worth a look.

Yep I was at the Meridian Sportsman's. Not that far away from the house just haven't been in checking things out for the last month. About 2 weeks ago I nabbed some primers at the one in Nampa. Cliffs has been a pretty good place to get some supplies also.

I have the max long range in 300 win. Its probably been one of the harder rifles I have ever developed a load for. I have shot factory ammo and hand loads. At times its really shines, but its not always consistent. I have about 200 rounds down it now and seems to be settling in a little. Seems to really like being clean im saying no copper fouling at all. I have shot .33 Moa groups and then the same ammo ill shoot 2.5 Moa But seems the more I shoot it the more it settles in. as far as fit and finish it seems great to me. Most other rifles I have are savages and I would definitely own more. As far as the x-bolt. If presented say the hells canyon or the savage High country and had to make a choice based on my experience with the 2 rifle makers. I would pick the high country at this time.

These are the first 160 gr. 280 loads tried from two of my X-Bolts. Both are 5 rd groups. First ten shots fired with this load. Scope was set for 140 NAB loads.
The 140 gr NAB loads do as good or better in both rifles

Attachments

• Xbolt 160 accubond accuracy pic.jpg
    Xbolt 160 accubond accuracy pic.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 181
  • 20200222_134906.jpg
    20200222_134906.jpg
    646.5 KB · Views: 131
I have a Savage High Country in 280 AI. The twist is 9". I've settled on the 160 Nosler Accubond after trying a bunch of bullets from submoa.com 12-packs. I use H4831SC and have gotten to 1 MOA groups, sometimes a bit smaller. I'm still tweaking. I also got good groups from the Horn 162ELDX. I tried another powder, 7828, and it was okay. In my rifle, it seems that it likes the lower end of powder weights, especially in lighter bullets (145-150 grain?) and I was was able to push a little more powder and get equal velocities from the 160's, so I stayed with them. I may try the Hammer bullets. I'm still looking to squeeze a little more accuracy from this rifle, but current bullet/powder/primer availability has me hesitant. I have not noticed any issues with bullet and magazine length or feeding. The Savage action is a Savage action. Not butter smooth, but not rickety, either.

And I've taken four shots on game with this rifle. Two were DRT on hogs, a boar that squealed a bit and a sow whose heart dropped into my hand when I field dressed her. Third shot put a rutting buck down at about 200 yards. The fourth shot was to finish that buck because he was not going anywhere, but his head was still up.

I love the Browning X-Bolts and I will get one someday. Their action is perfect in my limited experience handing them in shops. When I was shopping for a 280AI, Browning did not have one. I might have coughed up the money for one back then. They have an 8" twist which would allow for longer bullets.

Just get a 7mm mag, same basic thing with far less monkeying around...the bronze cerakot is just too pretty to drag around...great shooters

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.