Browning X-Bolt Mountain Pro

Jonfitter#1

Looking for some feedback/ opinions on Browning rifles. Anyone out there own any and how do you like or dislike? I can't recall ever shooting one or even holding one.
I'm looking at buying an x-bolt mountain pro in 6.5prc for hunting mule deer.
They seem to get good reviews.
I was looking at a Christensen Ridgeline. However the one I was interested in has been discontinued and it seems reviews on them are all over the place. Guys love them or hate them.

I dont know anyone with a x-bolt to try, but I love my A-bolt as well! been using it for years and holding up well! I have been thinking about getting a 7prc in x-bolt spr to play around with , but cant seem to find any internal magazine measurements for that specific one.

I've got 3. Just purchased a Xbolt western hunter in 6.5 CM and through some loads together for sight in and barrel break in.
I do recommend a MCARBO trigger spring to lighten up the trigger.
Showing promise. 3 shot groups

Attachments

• 62A8D030-535E-47A9-951D-9ADF5BC1571F.jpeg
    62A8D030-535E-47A9-951D-9ADF5BC1571F.jpeg
    209.5 KB · Views: 19
  • B70BFA64-89B8-4CB5-975D-A57A2B50149D.jpeg
    B70BFA64-89B8-4CB5-975D-A57A2B50149D.jpeg
    226.1 KB · Views: 19
Looking for some feedback/ opinions on Browning rifles. Anyone out there own any and how do you like or dislike? I can't recall ever shooting one or even holding one.
I'm looking at buying an x-bolt mountain pro in 6.5prc for hunting mule deer.
They seem to get good reviews.
I was looking at a Christensen Ridgeline. However the one I was interested in has been discontinued and it seems reviews on them are all over the place. Guys love them or hate them.
I have two x-bolt pro's and like them. MCarbo springs on both. They shoot better than my Sako, Howa, and Weatherby. Maybe tied with my Savage. I think that the Pro or Mountain Pro is a worthwhile upgrade for the carbon stock as it is well made (McMillan I think). I recently took both x-bolts out to 1000 yards without any trouble. Shot one to a mile also.

Not much to add here other than my endorsement. The only thing I dislike about the X-bolts are 1) the triggers that can easily be fixed with a spring or a replacement trigger and 2) the weird scope mount arrangement that they went with.

I have two x-bolt pro's and like them. MCarbo springs on both. They shoot better than my Sako, Howa, and Weatherby. Maybe tied with my Savage. I think that the Pro or Mountain Pro is a worthwhile upgrade for the carbon stock as it is well made (McMillan I think). I recently took both x-bolts out to 1000 yards without any trouble. Shot one to a mile also.
Did you replace the springs or have a gunsmith do it?

I have a Browning X-Bolt left hand Hells Canyon Long Range McMillan in 280 Nosler. It has been 1/2 MOA accurate with my handloads (I've not shot any factory ammo except to get on paper while sighting in the scope). I installed an MCarbo trigger spring (quite easy to do i might add) and now the trigger is quite good (only trigger I have that's better is the three Jewell's I have). The MCarbo spring retains all the function of the factory safety/bolt release, while the Timney does not retain the bolt release feature.

While I tend to favor Remington 700's, I'm quite happy with my X-Bolt and glad I spent the coin to get it.

Attachments

• IMG_0017.png
    IMG_0017.png
    599.3 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0018.jpeg
    IMG_0018.jpeg
    405.2 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
I have a Browning X-Bolt left hand Hells Canyon Long Range McMillan in 280 Nosler. It has been 1/2 MOA accurate with my handloads (I've not shot any factory ammo except to get on paper while sighting in the scope). I installed an MCarbo trigger spring (quite easy to do i might add) and now the trigger is quite good (only trigger I have that's better is the three Jewell's I have). The MCarbo spring retains all the function of the factory safety/bolt release, while the Timney does not retain the bolt release feature.

While I tend to favor Remington 700's, I'm quite happy with my X-Bolt and glad I spent the coin to get it.
Oh man! Thats a beautiful rifle!!

Not much to add here other than my endorsement. The only thing I dislike about the X-bolts are 1) the triggers that can easily be fixed with a spring or a replacement trigger and 2) the weird scope mount arrangement that they went with.
I agree on the trigger which is why my go-to X-bolt rifles have Timneys.

When you say weird scope mount, are you talking about 4 screws per base vs 2? Or is there something else like spacing you are referring to?

I love the idea of double the number of screws to retain the bases. I'm kinda surprised more manufacturers don't copy them. I guess I don't see a downside there unless you are talking about something else.

Recent Posts