Brooks Range hunting experience

Chandalar

DSC00082.jpg

My brother-in-law came up from Virginia to take this fine sheep on 9/7/2011, He was using a 300 Ultra with 200 grain Accubond. Best trip ever, this was a no fly-in trip, just glassing and lots of walking, a bit on the painful side, but worth every minute!

When we first saw the sheep it was about 200 yards above tree line, and we were actually at camp just getting up for the day at around 7:00am. We made our way through the trees and got with in a few hundred yards of where the mountain began to rise at about 45-50 deg. As luck would have it we found a perfect hill in front of the face of the mountain where my brother in law could shoot up hill off his pack laying down at about 25 deg. Is seemed like for ever for the "whack" to get back to us that he had hit the ram low in the shoulder. I began to stumble and make its way down hill and didn't suffer any longer than about 5 minutes. It took us about an hour to locate him in the thick brush and trees. I live here in AK and this was by far the most challenging hunting experience that I had ever had. It yielded 80 to 100 pounds, not really sure on the true weight but we salvaged every bit that we could of meat which is the real trophy, I admit the I have very little respect for those whom only go for the horns. In my humble opinion, one of these amazing animals is enough for a life time. I hope to be apart of other friends sheep hunting adventures but am very satisfied to never be the one pulling the trigger. There just to magnificent, for me a caribou or moose is more fitting. If you hunt these amazing animals is their home and environment you may walk away with the same attitude as ive developed. Best hunting experience ever!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts