breaking a barrel

I shoot one then clean and continue this process for a 100 rnds after the 100 rounds I shoot 3 then clean. It takes along time but hey I spend alot of money on my critter gitters and this process has worked for me every time. My 2 cents.

I was mistaken, diff board on the 308 v 30-06 statement. One of the guys I shoot with did the breakfree trick to me, I thought I was doing something wrong /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]
One of the guys I shoot with did the breakfree trick to me

[/ QUOTE ]
Whats that? Was it funny or mean.

The guys were being mean, saying I didn't clean my barrel well enough...
[ QUOTE ]

*Trick* Clean the barrel completely to the best of your ability- Now run a patch with breakfree down it... I thought you cleaned that thing! It's always black when I do it too!

[/ QUOTE ]

Oops. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif I read the list you posted and somehow the line above it was forgotten instantly. I'm almost 38 and that is starting to happen. Thanks for reposting it.

When breaking in a barrel do you guys shoot a dry bore or do you oil before each shot after you clean? I have heard arguments for each and would like your opinions.
thanks
Dan

Goodgrouper, it funny that you quote Mcmillan.

Gail Mcmillian was one of the guys that didn't believe in the 1 shot-clean break-in method.

Not trying to be a a-hole, maybe just a wise-***, but seriously he has said that it was BS.

Actually, what Gale McMillian said was that he thought that "barrel break-in" was a waste of time on a well made barrel. His philosophy was that ANY barrel had "X" number of accurate repeatable shots in it and breaking it in only served to use some of them up! He also abhored the idea of JB's Bore Paste and wouldn't warranty any of his barrels that it was used in. So, he had his own opinions and so does every one else. Whatever you think is right for you, is right for you! It's as simple as that. As for me, I'll do what the barrel maker of the barrel I just had installed says. Another two cents opinion.
Good luck and good shooting,
Jim

[ QUOTE ]
Actually, what Gale McMillian said was that he thought that "barrel break-in" was a waste of time on a well made barrel. His philosophy was that ANY barrel had "X" number of accurate repeatable shots in it and breaking it in only served to use some of them up! He also abhored the idea of JB's Bore Paste and wouldn't warranty any of his barrels that it was used in. So, he had his own opinions and so does every one else. <font color="blue">Whatever you think is right for you, is right for you! </font> It's as simple as that. As for me, I'll do what the barrel maker of the barrel I just had installed says. Another two cents opinion.
Good luck and good shooting,
Jim

[/ QUOTE ]

MT4XFore, I agree with you! I have read so many different opinions from so many knowledgeable people not only from barrel makers but also from long range shooters whose opinions you would trully concider and they're just split like that. I do have to say that the majority, though, take the side of breaking the barrel-in.
I think you're right on when you said:
[ QUOTE ]
<font color="red">Whatever you think is right for you, is right for you! </font>

[/ QUOTE ] It's just what gives you that little extra confidence.

What's the problem with JB?!!! I've been using it for the past couple of years and found that it actually sped my break-in process. So what ill effects does it have? Also is there any advantage to Coppermelt over Sweets? Just when I think I'm doing things right you guys gotta ruin it... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

devildoc,
Since I was the one who posted Gale McMillian's opinion, I will answer your question. I dont know if anything is wrong with JB's. Many people feel that it being an abrasive will do more than just clean, it will actually remove metal from the bore. McMillian's objection was that when it was used on a patch, especially, that tolerances couldn't be maintained and you really have no idea how much metal you may be removing. I am no expert on this. I have used it, but I will only use it now for extreme cases of fouling. I would never use for barrel break-in. As for Coppermelt vs. Sweets, one could say that Coppermelt is Sweet's on steroids! So is Montana Extreme 50BMG. Lots of ammonia to chemically remove the copper. Didn't mean to rock your boat, just another example of the number of different opinions that are out here. If you are happy using JB's, please dont let me stop you. Good luck and good shooting,
Jim

I am an unabashed JB Borescrub fan. I have used it in all of my guns and they shoot better now then when I first got them. I can't say that this is totally the JBs because I have learned a ton about reloading and cleaning guns. I do have a mini 14 that shoots MOA at 100 yards and hits a 1 foot gong at 600 yards all day long. I have done nothing to accurize this gun except for a good healthy session with the JBs (once)and work up some ballistic tip and H335 loads in bulk once used brass.

I avoid too much scrubbing in the throat and the muzzle areas but I will continue to use JBs on guns that I think could use a little smoothing.

I know your not being a @ss ----. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif POints and counter points are always good to further investigate a theory my friend.

My point was that no matter who you are or what you know, if you have ever done a breakin properly, I can't see how the overwhelming fact of the cleaning process suddenly becoming twice as easy and taking half the time during the breakin can be ignored or not seen. I have broke in probably more than 40 barrels using the "one shot clean and play by ear" method and it has worked with dramatic results every time. NOt too many things in guns are written in stone, but I believe barrel break in to be one. But that is just my experimental, OCD, perfectionist, personality kicking in I suppose!

Oh, and by the way, JB's is a good cleaner for super rough barrels. It does have a mild abbrasive in it though. DOn't believe me? Try lapping your scope rings with it! WOrks like a champ but is slightly less quick than the grinding compound supplied by SInclair with their lapping tool!

Just broke in two broughtons...6mm and 30cal...they stopped showing copper after 7 and 8 (on-shot-cleans) respectively.

Followed by 2 2-shot-cleans, again no copper.

The first couple shots from the barrel were pretty nasty.

just ran 42rds thru the 6br in about 1hr the other day...NO COPPER

Proof enough to me that breaking in a barrel actually does do something...

YMMV,
JB

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.