Brass Prep for long range accuracy

I would have thought shooting east on either side of the equator would do the same thing?!

I like your style of cleanliness and prep for brass. If i was loading lots of casings in rotation for the rifle i probably would do the same type of prep work you do to an extent. I only use 50pc at a time and id be to impatient to wait for them to be clean/tumbled, etc.

Its always good to hear others routines for reloading so thanks for sharing.

0.5 moa at 1000 is a good accomplishment. Congrats.[/Q
Over 90 % of world class shooters and F-class are all full length sizing now. And I do neck turn all my brass.
I found this on Larry Willis website he makes and sells a digital headspace gauge for those of you who like to full-length size. "Resizing dies are designed to make handloads fit inside the SMALLEST chamber of a particular caliber. To make things worse, rifle chambers are always made to accommodate the LARGEST factory ammo made anywhere. Machinists call this "tolerance stacking". This means that your handloads usually have quite a loose fit in your chamber. The next time you put the crosshairs on a long range target, you have to ask yourself "If my handloads are small enough to fit any rifle in this caliber, and large enough to not get ripped apart when fired . . . . is that really close enough?" I believe that the top BR shooters do indeed full-length size but there is more to this story. I choose not to. I hunt and shoot a bit at the range but 100 cases will last me years. I have never had one stick in the chamber. After 7 or so loads I full size and start over.

I don't have a clue what they use . I use an RCBS fl die set so that I just bump the datum line back .002 measured using a Hornady attachment made for that measurement on my digital calipers .

What about bullet run out. Less than .002. You 1000 yard bench rest guys check that. I heard less than.002 was the goal.

The reason an unfired round sticks in the chamber often times is because they are jamming bullets into the lands and if unloaded ends up dumping powder in the action and they are done for the day. This is why competition shooters preach full sizing
I'm not following this. A jammed bullet will stay in the rifling if you open the bolt regardless of whether you neck size or FL size. That isn't why they full length size.

I'm not following this. A jammed bullet will stay in the rifling if you open the bolt regardless of whether you neck size or FL size. That isn't why they full length size.
It was said that Match Shooter's do not neck size because a cartridge will not chamber or even worse will not eject costing them a match therefore I stated when it will not eject it could possibly be the bullet jammed into the rifling if there is a problem with only neck sizing it would not chamberThis could happen while full sizing as well

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.