Blaser R93 rifle

Will a gunsmith be able to reproduce the raceway for Blaser radial locking? Or would your threaded in barrel stop short of this section?

It'd be a sweet if you could pull it off

I don't know the details of how they actually do it, but I know of 3 gunsmiths that do this work here (one of them constructed the 22LR kit for Blaser).

If is as good as the factory barrels I'll be using Lothar Walther blanks. Will most likely get a 1:8 6mm or 1:9 7mm and chamber it for "something". I want to try the 6mm 105gr Amax and 7mm 162gr Amax. Today I use the 6,5mm 123gr Amax and previously the 140gr Amax.

It has proven itself as a very good deer bullet for me.

I had the opportunity to shoot one while out with a couple of buddies while doing some long range tuning. I just shook my head when this guy started to swap out barrels/scopes. I thought "aint no way in hell he is even going to be on paper once he switches all that crap" (he was shooting at 100yds at the time). To my sheer amazement it was really close. He changed from .308win to 300 win mag in just a couple of minutes. Now, was it a true tack-driver? Not really. Was it accurate enough to hunt deer sized animals inside 500yds? You better believe it! I am not going to sell half of whats in my safe to own one plus the barrels and scopes needed for a swap. I didn't like the bulky safety, and I found that if the bolt handle isn't really pushed forward it will not fire. I would be super ****ed if I missed a trophy animal because I didn't get the bolt pushed hard enough forward after cycling a round. For those who haven't shot one, I believe you would be impressed, as I was. I could still walk his dog with my Savage bolt gun at any distance, but there was not a huge change in POI as one might think. Just my .02.

LOL ........ I shoot 500m fly comps with my LRS 2 in 6mm Norma BR and I see blokes with full fly rifles, well down the list from me.
You really need to try one, to answer your questions, or better still spend a couple days with one.
Everything the factory said was true ..... And then some.

Bixn-Andy - Laufwechsel

This guy makes custom barrels on Border blanks. If the quality is like the replacement trigger he makes it should be very good. BUT this custom job comes with a searing pricetag so it is out of the question for me. His trigger was worth every Euro though...

I too want slightly different twists/ calibres. My solution will be to cut and thread in a new blank in my old barrel when it is shot out. It will not cost more than a normal rebarrel job.

Roe, love your you tube vid's.
I would be very interested to hear how your gunsmith goes with the cutting and re-clambering of your old Blaser barrel.
When I have swapped barrels on my rifles, and given them a knock, they positively RING. There steel is harder than the hobs of hell. ( Australian saying ).
I suppose anything can be cut with the right tooling, or an EMD machine ? But getting an acceptable finish would be the trick.

Christi and I both have R93s that we loved UNTIL we wanted longer tubes & faster twists for LRH. IF, IF this "rethreading" technique is not BS for us over here, it would be wonderful. Every big deal gunsmith I talk to over here says its impossible and "for them obviously ...it is". Sometimes THE CONTINENT has skilled craftsmen who are beyond our tool and die "boys". Those Germans do things Remchester's custom shops boys didn't learn in HS shop class. And YES I am writing this to challenge one of our "boys" to step up to that challenge...but I'll bet "it don't happen".
For those of you that question the Blaser R93 or R8's accuracy at long range...go to YouTube and type in "Longrange blog" or try this : [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzxax7efOMc...there[/ame] are 50+ short YouTubes of Thomas Haugland (TH) hitting animals and steel out to 1350 yards...look especially at blogs #18-39. TH's tech for speed dialing his windage & come ups is ingenuous ( recalibrating his turrets to his reticle & reading his adjustments on the fly ) to say the least...very quick and reminds me of John Graves/ Aaron Davidson innovations.

Last edited:
Yes, I too have furthered the question with some Australian gunsmiths, including some from our fine defence force ( the boys that service and maintain our Tac 2's.)
Mention Blaser barrel steel, and the proposed works, and they run a mile.
However, there is a solution of kinds.
If your prepared to deal with the Australian importer, ( many are not ) and pay the $800 surcharge, then wait six months for a reply from Blaser, before they accept your order.
Blaser will build just about anything you want, it's really just a dollars game.
Thomas Haugland has a huge following in this country, and is an alround good bloke.
Hitting the fly three times in one detail at my rifle club, is referred to as a Hauland. LOL, but its usually only the Blasers that can do it in hunter class.:)

Here is my blazer r93 LR rifle...
.300win mag 65(63cm) match flutted barrel 1-11"twist with a professional stock and harris bipod. The scope is a Schmidt&bender 5-25x56 PMII mounted with ERA Recknagel rings on a picatinny rail and ADI inclinometer. The muzzle brake is original from blaser.
I will put a match trigger from Bix'n Andy and I am planing to change the bipod for something better, because mine is the standard BR 6"-9"

Attachments

• 2013-10-05 11.30.43.jpg
    2013-10-05 11.30.43.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 118
  • 2013-10-05 11.30.53.jpg
    2013-10-05 11.30.53.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 103
  • 2013-10-05 11.31.07.jpg
    2013-10-05 11.31.07.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 103
Very handsome rifle ...on my professional [ since it is a synthetic stock ] I added a big palm swell and then to add length had a Hogue recoil / butt pad installed. You have assembled a wonderful combination and the bipod up grade is smart...I actually like the highest bipods or African style shooting sticks for hunting in the sage brush and the long grass prairie.

Yes...it is harder to add to a wood stock...can be done but... with a synthetic stock like the R93 Pro, I just put in a couple small screws to anchor a glob of auto body bondo shaped to fill my large hand and draw my trigger finger back to where it did not extend so far into the trigger guard. After it was dried ...I painted the area and the forend grip area with a krinkle finish paint[ my Professional model is an early one before the non-slip inserts came along ]...I am about 1/2 inch from a camo paint job like Thomas Haugland did to his R93.

Roe, love your you tube vid's.
I would be very interested to hear how your gunsmith goes with the cutting and re-clambering of your old Blaser barrel.
When I have swapped barrels on my rifles, and given them a knock, they positively RING. There steel is harder than the hobs of hell. ( Australian saying ).
I suppose anything can be cut with the right tooling, or an EMD machine ? But getting an acceptable finish would be the trick.

It's called stubbing. This guy does it on TC barrels all the time. You might talk him into doing a Blaser. Custom Built Rifles and Hunting Handguns

[FONT=&quot]The Blaser radial locking system is probably more precise than any turn bolt system, because the cartridge is centered better and is not put under any tensions. furthermore head spacing is a lot more precise. Another advantage is that the scope mounts are directly on the barrel making the system even more repeatable and precise. the bolt face is also centered better than in any conventional turn bolt system. Blaser factory rifles equipped with a professional match grade barrel shoot incredibly well. The weapon is also a lot shorter with a given barrel length than any conventional system, because the locking mechanism is only about half as long as a long action. [/FONT]

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.